Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FreeSat with one LNB available

Options
  • 05-01-2016 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭

My folks have Sky+

I want to buy them a Freesat recordable box for ITV 2,3,4 C5 etc.
    Any box I buy will most likely have 2 LNB inputs but they have only one spare satellite cable.
    They won't go for the running of a 4th cable into the living room.

The box will be infrequently used.
    It will only be used for viewing recordings - not live viewing.
    A viewing / recording conflict is unlikely to occur.

How well will this work?
    Will the box always use the one available input and ignore the dead LNB2 input?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

It should work fine. Freesat twin-tuners probably all have a dedicated single cable mode anyway.

Any particular box you were thinking of?

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

My experience with a Samsung Freesat box was with a single LNB input and the box set to 1 LNB input only was that I could view a channel but once I changed to a different channel then back to the first one a "No Signal" message came up .
    Changing the LNB cable to the second tuner brought the picture back .
    I was testing the box on a single LNB feed from a 1.3 M dish .
    When 2 LNB cables were used the box worked perfectly when the menu was changed to 2 tuners or whatever it was called.

I suspect a faulty box or possibly not up to date software ---- ?

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

Funny I was wondering about this also. I've one sat cable at the moment but looking to buy a twin input box for a future upgrade and was wondering would it work correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭Oscarziggy

slinky2000 wrote: »
    Funny I was wondering about this also. I've one sat cable at the moment but looking to buy a twin input box for a future upgrade and was wondering would it work correctly.

As Thurston? pointed out, changing the menu to single LNB operation it "should" work otherwise what is the point of having that option in the menu !!
    I couldn't get it to work on that Samsung Freesat box which I've lent to a friend who is running it with 2 LNB inputs to see if he likes Freesat .
    It's working perfectly.
    Don't be put off by my experience with one box --- to be certain change the LNB to a 4 or 8 output one and run another cable (easy for me to say !)

Regards

Oscarziggy wrote: »
    As Thurston? pointed out, changing the menu to single LNB operation it "should" work otherwise what is the point of having that option in the menu !!
    I couldn't get it to work on that Samsung Freesat box which I've lent to a friend who is running it with 2 LNB inputs to see if he likes Freesat .
    It's working perfectly.
    Don't be put off by my experience with one box --- to be certain change the LNB to a 4 or 8 output one and run another cable (easy for me to say !)

Regards

Cheers yea it should be fine. I've 4 rooms hooked up with one cable from a quad lnb so I would need to switch to an octo lnb and run a ton of cable. I should have ran dual cable in the walls when the house was getting built! AAHHHHH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

slinky2000 wrote: »
    I should have ran dual cable in the walls when the house was getting built! AAHHHHH

A question that's posted here regularly, how many cables to run before plastering starts. Always recommended to run a minimum of 2, with 3 or 4 to the main TV point - better to be looking at it than looking for it - even if not required now.

A stacker/destacker is an option for a single cable run to 2 sat inputs, requires good quality installed cable .

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

When you initially setup the freesat box it will detect automatically if you have 1 or 2 inputs, this will then limit what you can watch and record at the same time. With 1 lnb you will on occasion if the channels are on the same transponder be able to watch one channel and record another at the same time but it's very limited, maybe 4 or 5 channels will be on the same transponder. If you later down the road add another cable you can then rerun setup and it will detect the 2nd input.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭eirman

Thanks for all the replies - Looks like it should work - I'll give it a try.

I've no particular box in mind at the moment
    I'll be buying on ebay.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭webwayz

I would recommend a Humax foxsat box, freesat+, it has 2 LNB inputs, if you have only one LNB, it means you can only watch channels which use the same freq range and polarity as the channel you are recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I would second the humax, one wire working great and most of bbc, itv, c4 HD are same freq range so can record and watch. Also with custom firmware, you can access the recordings from other tvs in house once all on same network via cable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Inkers92

Hi all,
    I am looking at cancelling my UPC/VM account and getting a Freesat - I have a couple of questions for which I have various answers. I am going to buy the Humax 1100S box.
    Will this work with my current UPC satellite dish e.g. is it plug and play?
    Also, will I be unable to use the record and watch functionality if I only have one cable running into it - I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Inkers92 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am looking at cancelling my UPC/VM account and getting a Freesat - I have a couple of questions for which I have various answers. I am going to buy the Humax 1100S box.
    Also, will I be unable to use the record and watch functionality if I only have one cable running into it - I can't seem to find a definitive answer to this.

Thanks.

I don't have UPC or Virgin Media but I'm quite sure they don't use satellite dishes so the answer would be no....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Hi all,

Thanks.

The UPC MMDS dish is not a satellite dish and can't be used for satellite reception.

Thanks for the replies... guess I will have to get someone to install... if I buy box and dish myself how much should installation cost roughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,827 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would say a typical instal would be less than €100.

An installer quoted me €120 to install a sat dish, quad lnb, saorview aerial and to run a cable from each to 4 rooms externally.

Thanks, that seems fairly reasonable. I will have a look around. I didn't realise that I would need the Saorview too to get RTE etc.. I suppose I would need a separate box for that too or something... Ugh starting to sound a bit complicated and messy - switching between boxes etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,517 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Ugh starting to sound a bit complicated and messy - switching between boxes etc..
    In the coming months saorview are launching a new range of receivers which are being developed by Freesat. The range will include a combined saorview satellite receiver, no further details yet. See the press release over on the saorview website.

https://www.saorview.ie/en/news/article/rte-and-saorview-partner-with-freesat-to-deliver-a-next-generation-product
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98577486

I didn't realise that I would need the Saorview too to get RTE etc.. I suppose I would need a separate box for that too or something...

What's the make & model of your TV?

Phillips 26PFL5322/10 .... Also, the android boxes are illegal and would allow access to home network right?

• Advertisement

Phillips 26PFL5322/10

Doesn't seem to have a digital tuner of any kind, so you won't even get Saorview without a box ...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Phillips 26PFL5322/10 .... Also, the android boxes are illegal and would allow access to home network right?

Wrong !!!! Android boxes are perfectly legal.

Yeah.. after doing another bit of research I see the Android box is legit.. its the card sharing dreambox thing that I was confusing it with... that all seems too good to be true and I'm thinking could get very messy.. especially if you are depending on some chancer to provide your service.... Anyway I am thinking:

I have a Chromecast and tablet so Android box does more or less same thing right?
    Broadband only package (Vodafone simply broadband - thoughts?)
    Sat dish with quad LMB
    Saorview aerial
    Two inputs to Humax 1100s (required for simultaneous record and view, correct?)
    Maybe run another cable into upstairs of house
    Saorview box (or perhaps a new tv (mmm.. this is getting pricey though))

This sound reasonable/correct?

Advertisement