Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hitting a wall , eat through it?

Options
  • 15-01-2016 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭

Craic lads,

I try not to start threads but would like the opinion of others here on this.

The past two weeks I've kind of hit a wall in gaining weight. I started back at the gym last year and was making steady progress, starting weight was 140 pounds 5'8 and very lean.

I use myfittness pal and have bee eating at 2900 calories a day and have my macros set , was all going well and I'm up to 156.6 to be exact ha , problem is that is now not moving over the past two weeks....not even slightly...I considered the scales being broken but it's not.

So my query is am I now not eating enough and hit a wall. My schedule is strength training Monday/Tuesday - Off - Thursday/Friday and I play football on Monday , Wednesday and Friday.

I'm thinking the cardio is effecting me a bit , I do a lot of running during games and I think I'm burning off the majority of my extra calories and now eating maintenance.

Do I need to add another 500-600 to make up the difference or should I look at a weight gained for those days as I don't know where I'll fit another meal in , already take Whey pre and post workout.

Cheers lads.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Bodyfat < 15% = add 500kcals/day and keep going

Bodyfat > 15% = cut until its back within acceptable levels and resume a slow bulk from there

Once you've over about 15% you'll gain a disproportionate amount of fat to muscle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'm not sure what my body fat percentage is , I know I'm fairly lean...not 6 pack lean but lean. Percentage I dunno , I suppose I'd have to do a caliper test..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Crude method here: https://papabuffsblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/body-fat-percentage-men-1.jpg

Also US navy seal tape measure method.

Or D8 Fitness just got some accumeasure calipers in that are about €15 and will do a quick and dirty job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Thanks for that , I reckon by the crude method and using the online weight , height , waist method I'm between 19% - 20%...

Advertisement