Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gym price

Options
  • 15-01-2016 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

Hope someone might be able to answer this for me..
    Joined gym last year with Direct debit costing 40 quid a month ,I have 3 months left on the years contract which I was happy to keep paying as I use the gym 5 times a week...got letter this morning saying my payment is increasing to 55 a month from end of January and I just can't afford the extra 15 quid a month plus I don't think the gym is worth it at that price...it's open 15 years and not one upgrade in equipment and lots of the equipment is old and In need of repair and classes have dropped by half since start of year...
    So my question is can I cancel my membership because of price increase...there is no mention of this in contract in signed.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I think so. They've changed the terms of the contract. I've seen similar happen with mobile phone companies as well.

Chances are though that if you say you're cancelling they'll go back on their original decision and let you pay the 40e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

If you are unhappy with the facilities you should change regardless of price. 3 people could have a Ben Dunne membership for that amount, and extra is only worth paying if your getting extra.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I'd call them out on it and ask WTF they're playing at.

If they don't budge, get in contact with your bank to stop the DD - they've changed their terms.

...and stung you with a 37% price increase to boot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭LostArt

Standard contract law afaik is that, if they change the price you can cancel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

LostArt wrote: »
    Standard contract law afaik is that, if they change the price you can cancel.

Yeah. Contracts typically allow for like 5% changes without voiding the contract, your increase will definitely allow you to cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Thanks for the all advice , I have emailed the manager today asking for rates to be left the same till my year is up and if not I said I will cancelling direct debit after next payment.
    I have also asked her to explain reason for such a big increase when gym condition is going down hill

• Registered Users Posts: 12,736 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

harr wrote: »
    Thanks for the all advice , I have emailed the manager today asking for rates to be left the same till my year is up and if not I said I will cancelling direct debit after next payment.
    I have also asked her to explain reason for such a big increase when gym condition is going down hill

Any response?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Any response?
    No response yet, I know Manager is in as I asked yesterday ,will update when or if I get response ..unsure if they will respond never have done when I filled in those member feedback questionnaires

Was in gym today and gym manager was there and asked me to call into office after my workout which i did.
    She explained why the sudden price increase ,she put it down to increased overheads and general up keep of health club,.
    Also new floor,air conditioning and filter system for pool...I asked her if they would get new weights or cardio equipment which I use the most,they have no plan in place to upgrade any equipment.
    They can't rule out further price increase next year....I explained why I felt the increase was not justified, she would not let me keep my rates at what I am currently paying but would let me leave my contract at end of the month .
    So that's it, time to find a new gym... She did seem a little embarrassed about the lack of investment in gym itself and did say I was not the only one to question the increase.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Was in gym today and gym manager was there and asked me to call into office after my workout which i did.
    She explained why the sudden price increase ,she put it down to increased overheads and general up keep of health club,.
    Also new floor,air conditioning and filter system for pool...I asked her if they would get new weights or cardio equipment which I use the most,they have no plan in place to upgrade any equipment.
    They can't rule out further price increase next year....I explained why I felt the increase was not justified, she would not let me keep my rates at what I am currently paying but would let me leave my contract at end of the month .
    So that's it, time to find a new gym... She did seem a little embarrassed about the lack of investment in gym itself and did say I was not the only one to question the increase.

Sounds like they dealt with it professionally. Shame the outcome wasn't in your favour!

Where are you based? We may be able to offer recommendations.

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    Sounds like they dealt with it professionally. Shame the outcome wasn't in your favour!

Where are you based? We may be able to offer recommendations.

yep happy enough how they dealt with it....it's has been very quiet in the gym last few weeks and I can see a lot leaving now...if they are giving the choice of leaving your contract.
    Have gym in mind and will give it a look over this week, no pool but rates are a good bit cheaper and it's only open a few weeks, a small bit further of a drive but only by about 10 minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

We didnt know it had a pool. its actually pretty cheap for a gym with a pool.

We didnt know it had a pool. its actually pretty cheap for a gym with a pool.
    Pool is tiny to be fair and I never use it, 3 or 4 people in it feels cramped I would say it's less than 15 meters long ...would 700 quid be a fair price for small gym and small pool ? What are prices like in other parts of the country ...I am in Kildare and gym is part of a hotel...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

she would not let me keep my rates at what I am currently paying

Stupid move on her part.

Also, unless the contract has a specific provision saying that the gym can end your membership without cause, then I'm pretty sure they're legally bound to allow you to finish out the year at your agreed monthly fee.

Contract commitment swings both ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Zillah wrote: »
    Stupid move on her part.

Also, unless the contract has a specific provision saying that the gym can end your membership without cause, then I'm pretty sure they're legally bound to allow you to finish out the year at your agreed monthly fee.

Contract commitment swings both ways.

Not really. If she agreed to keep the rate at the old rate, people would be on Boards.ie, facebook, twitter etc saying that, so no one's rate would go up! Back in the day you could make little arrangements like that, but not anymore!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Not really. If she agreed to keep the rate at the old rate, people would be on Boards.ie, facebook, twitter etc saying that, so no one's rate would go up! Back in the day you could make little arrangements like that, but not anymore!

"All existing contracts will be finished at their current rate, any new or renewed contracts will begin at the revised rate."

Simples.

But instead let's refuse to budge a couple euro on price and lose a customer that might have been coming here for the next ten years?

"All existing contracts will be finished at their current rate, any new or renewed contracts will begin at the revised rate."

Simples.

But instead let's refuse to budge a couple euro on price and lose a customer that might have been coming here for the next ten years?

This is what I taught they might do, I have spoken to other members who have already left,because of this issue...
    I have priced similar hotel health clubs and this one is by far the most expensive, most are around 500 euro mark...any others near 700 are a lot better equipped with bigger pools and a lot more benefits.
    I understand the decision was out of the Managers hands...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,105 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Stupid move on her part.
    It may be out of her control. She's possibly just a manager who has been given a directive on this.

Simples

[/QUOTE]
    I agree that that's the best approach, but sometimes greedy owners are greedy. Or maybe they factored in the a certain number would leave, and it would still be profitable.
    Who knows what they were thinking.

Advertisement