Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Lifting - Conflicting Goals?

Options
  • 15-01-2016 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭

Looking for a bit of guidance.

Ive been doing a 5 day split for the last 2 years now. The starting reason was to lose weight.

Im nearly there @ about 13% BF (want to get to 10%) from circa 25%.

My 1RM are:

Bench: 110kg
    Squat: 120kg
    Overhead Press: 75kg
    Deadlift (Hex Bar) 180kg

Honestly, these numbers look weak considering Im 2 years at it now but they are a byproduct as I haven't been strength training (rep range varying between 6-10).

Im starting to add more 3 rep sets into my routine on the above exercises. My diet is nailed, however I am working on a calorie deficit of 15-20% per day. While i've seen some real strength gains in the last 2 weeks, am i certain to hit plateaus pretty quick with the cal deficit? Is it possible to do both (hit the 10% BF while still gaining strength?)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

You probably won't get significantly stronger at that leanness level, BUT higher intensities (or 1RM) / heavier weights, and lower rep sets have been show to be beneficial for maintaining muscle mass on a cut.

So it's probably a good option anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭FullOf..IT

Hanley wrote: »
    You probably won't get significantly stronger at that leanness level, BUT higher intensities (or 1RM) / heavier weights, and lower rep sets have been show to be beneficial for maintaining muscle mass on a cut.

So it's probably a good option anyway.

Ta - will help brace myself for the the PBs stop and not get too discouraged.

Advertisement