Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satellite Broadband in Rural Ireland 2016 Options

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Scruff wrote: »
    Cant see them on ebay for anywhere near €15, care to share specific seller?

Strange...the seller doesn't appear to be listed anymore! I have an email for them so I've sent a request and will let you know if he responds. TBH, they're not worth more than €20!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭chewed

Scruff wrote: »
    Cant see them on ebay for anywhere near €15, care to share specific seller?

Contact info@dynamicsouls.com for more info on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

chewed wrote: »
    Strange...the seller doesn't appear to be listed anymore! I have an email for them so I've sent a request and will let you know if he responds. TBH, they're not worth more than €20!

yeah reviews to the ones that were listed on amazon are mixed at best, seems most aerials are. my Huawei e3272 modem has 2 ts-9 connectors so was thinking of trying some aerials with sma to ts-9 adapters if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭nagel

have you made any progress on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Toobz

Didn't have time to read full thread but like it has been said satellite should be a no go for anyone looking for broadband

I have a business package with line of site which suits everything I need for work but I also have a Vodafone 4g dongle which is better tbh.

It's pricey at 50 per month but it's got a 50gb limit and with a general ping of 30ms it's perfect. It's called the red ultra plan and its hard to find on the site so you might be best to call in to Vodafone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Had a similar problem in Roscommon (line of sight) was with last mile then someone else (same company different name) their signal could get through the trees as such but speed was poor, now with brisknet on an 8mb down 2mb up and 200gb a month limit, €45 a month so not cheap really, they needed clear line of sight so I just put their equipment on the end of a scaffolding pole which is fixed to the side of the house using 2 big triangle shape brackets drilled into house wall and the pole is attached with U shaped brackets so it is easily loosened to lower if access is needed, does the job, and we are rural so no neighbours to complain about the pole. its been up for around 8 years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭funnyname

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

funnyname wrote: »

Nope. Cant change the laws of physics. Latency will always be useless and there will always be huge contention and thus low limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BigDavy

Having spent a hell of a lot of money on experimenting on poor 3G in donegal I finally got a very good result.

Tried all the routers and sticks in a weatherproof box on poles etc. worked for a while but not well

Remember this, the junk you get from service providers for 60quid is made in a back street India sweat shop and is built for average connections in average areas so it will be a miracle if you 'get a miracle' so to speak

My most recent revious failed attempt was 500quid on too way satellite - total waste of time, so much that my installer wrapped up his business because of too ways poor support so STAY CLEAR OF TOOWAY, I was told this previously and was so desperate I took the chance, which failed.

So sickened and desperate I went online to the 3grouterstore and picked the most expensive kit on the. e-shelf

A GEM420. 3/4G dual sim router, this is a commercial grade router which powers motorway CCTV etc

Also got an omni directional aerial from them, around £380 for everything, put it on a pole and bobs your uncle

I'm getting an average 35 ping and between 2 to 7 mb download and 1 to 3 mob upload.........my horse has come home baby !

The lesson is don't waste your money and energy on cheap premium crap, if you have a signal at all as I barely did it just proves with the proper gear you can use even a weak signal to get a very good result.

I'm still in the land of utter shock, and a bit pissed off too I guess regretting I didn't spend the few quid a couple of years ago instead of all the scrap in have tried without success.

Good luck with your options.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2 BigDavy

Dear Boardies,

Please can you give me some advice.

I've just moved to East Galway (living the dream!) and trying desperately to obtain some broadband. I have an ecommerce site so I really need a decent internet connection so I can get my work done. I'll be doing my work primarily between 8am and 6pm.

So far I've tried the following:
    - Eir: no wired broadband in my area, not surprised.
    - Vodafone wireless broadband band: totally doesn't work.
    - Rural Wifi by fleetnet which is on the Three network: totally doesn't work.
    - Light Net (they create access points to create wireless broadband - you need a clean line of sight): No joy, too many trees. However my neighbour has an access point located in his property - about 600-700m away) but the issue is the trees again!

I assume now satellite broadband is my only option?
    Are there any other options for someone in rural Ireland where mobile broadband isn't an option?

I've been speaking to Onwave regarding their SES Pro30 package Download(Mbps) 20; Upload(Mbps) 2; Data Allowance(GB) 30. They've promised me up to 20 mbs from 8am - 6pm saying that it can reduce from 6-10pm. As I will be working primarily from 8-6pm I don't mind a dip in performance in the evening.

Onwave have told me that they can extend the cooling off period from 14 days to 28 days and if it's not satisfactory I can cancel. They said a lot of the issues people experience is exceeding their data and instead of being proactive and monitoring their data allowance.

Any advice, guidance, direction or opinion on implementing broadband in those hard to reach corners would be greatly appreciated. Happy to consider all options. I'm fairly desperate at the moment :D

Having spent a hell of a lot of money on experimenting on poor 3G in donegal I finally got a very good result.

Tried all the routers and sticks in a weatherproof box on poles etc. worked for a while but not well

Remember this, the junk you get from service providers for 60quid is made in a back street India sweat shop and is built for average connections in average areas so it will be a miracle if you 'get a miracle' so to speak

My most recent revious failed attempt was 500quid on too way satellite - total waste of time, so much that my installer wrapped up his business because of too ways poor support so STAY CLEAR OF TOOWAY, I was told this previously and was so desperate I took the chance, which failed.

So sickened and desperate I went online to the 3grouterstore and picked the most expensive kit on the. e-shelf

A GEM420. 3/4G dual sim router, this is a commercial grade router which powers motorway CCTV etc

Also got an omni directional aerial from them, around £380 for everything, put it on a pole and bobs your uncle

I'm getting an average 35 ping and between 2 to 7 mb download and 1 to 3 mob upload.........my horse has come home baby !

The lesson is don't waste your money and energy on cheap premium crap, if you have a signal at all as I barely did it just proves with the proper gear you can use even a weak signal to get a very good result.

I'm still in the land of utter shock, and a bit pissed off too I guess regretting I didn't spend the few quid a couple of years ago instead of all the scrap in have tried without success.

Good luck with your options.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

folks can ye please answer a question for me, i am find it hard to understand tech stuff, i have a 3 card in a huawei 586, good speed for me 2.0g down, spmetimes less, if i get a teltonkia rut 104 with an arien on it will this improve things, if i get an outside ariel and attach it will this get a better signal, thanks in advance, i can see the mast from the window thro the trees, about 5 miles as the crow flies

flutered wrote: »
    folks can ye please answer a question for me, i am find it hard to understand tech stuff, i have a 3 card in a huawei 586, good speed for me 2.0g down, spmetimes less, if i get a teltonkia rut 104 with an arien on it will this improve things, if i get an outside ariel and attach it will this get a better signal, thanks in advance, i can see the mast from the window thro the trees, about 5 miles as the crow flies

How many "bars" are you getting now. Often its not a reception issue but a busy mast, no antenna changes will fix the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭flutered

full bars, weekends one or two bars less, would one mifi router be stronger than another, thanks

If theres a 4G mast in range then getting a 4G device will help. But congestion on the 3G cell can't be fixed with new end user equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭fermatstheorem

Hello -

I just wanted to report back on how I got on especially since the leaves are back on the trees which thankfully has had no ill-effect yet!

Also a big thank you to everyone here who advised me to persevere with the 3G/4G router.

I'm using the Three service provided by Fleet Net but Rural Wi-Fi and it's been superb. I've got speeds of up to 15/16mbs and it rarely drops below 4. The average is 8-11mbs. For my PC I use a LAN cable and then I connect other devices over the Wi-Fi.

I've only had to reboot the router once after some work on the local mast and Rural Wi-Fi were extremely helpful. My phone coverage isn't great and any time my phone coverage has dropped they ring me straight back.

Overall I couldn't recommend them more.

Before I went with them I did a bit of mast research. The vodafone mast is only 1.5kms away and the Three Mast is approximate 4kms. The vodafone coverage is horrific.

The learning I suppose is you really need to try a service out and see if it works.

Another thing that was strange when I first tried Three/ Rural Wi-fi it wasn't good but it improved. I suppose it shows how important the positioning of the router but it even improved over time in the same position.

Advertisement