Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New England Patriots Thread Mod Warning Post #253

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭DJ_Eoghan

Unfortunately, the place for him comes from Henry Anderson being out for the season (not sure if he's gone to IR yet). Wynn and Onwenu gone to the Covid list, which I presume means that they're out at least this week (it would be tight for them to get in). Thankfully, it's the Texans, but next after that is the Boys, don't think I'd want them both out for that. Fingers crossed, last thing you want is Mac Jones taking a pummeling because we're down 3 starters on the OL.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Gilmore released.

Straight to Tampa or Kansas you'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,670 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Very surprised at this. They must feel his injury has affected him pretty badly. We look in great shape in the secondary without him.

I wonder could this be a move to free up cap space to sign a wide receiver or third down back?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

I am shocked a trade couldn't be done for him somewhere as well. In any case with the covid opt outs back and Bill you still have a top 3-5 defense anyway.

Edit: Never mind, for some reason I thought he already had a longer contract. 7 million savings for someone who didn't want to play for cheap and Pats didn't want to pay.

Post edited by Christy42 on

It's funny, I was thinking that instead of resigning Collins for a third time, we could sign Jaylon Smith (but didn't think the money would work). Money could work now with Gilly gone. Speculation on Good Morning Football is that Patriots have announced Gilmore release to create a last-minute trade market, plenty of teams could use Gilly (including us to be honest).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,040 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Seems much more like Gilmore threatened to continue to hold-in all season as the Patriots wouldnt pay him.

It would probably impact team moral if he stayed but fair play on them for not being pig headed and just cutting ties to a guy that served them well and letting him find a new home

• Registered Users Posts: 10,003 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Damn, this one hurts. I thought we should have leveraged him in a trade in the offseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Traded to panthers for a 6th

• Registered Users Posts: 7,709 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

It's a 2023 6th rounder, so of fairly minimal value really. We travel to Carolina in week 9 so will see him again this season.

I don't think we've ever done anything of note with a 6th round pick.

• Advertisement

I haven't paid much attention to Smith and the release surprised me because of his relatively big name. But feedback from Cowboys fans has been that he has gotten bad - like, really bad. And reeeeally slow. So I think we're good with Collins.

Hmm, I'm not sure if that's the case, he was relative bad is what I was hearing e.g. you can't keep all the highly paid backers. However, if it's physical decline, that would make me think twice My line of thinking is that this year might be the last run-out for Hightower, Bentley hasn't really turned into the 3-down backer I thought he might (partly due to injuries), Van Noy and Collins are in the back end of their careers, and it's hard not to think that Collins play is now closer to his floor than his ceiling. I think if you can get a guy who's 2 years removed from a Pro Bowl, and still young, I'd take him. But if he has no tyres, then that's that.

6th round pick for Gilly isn't worth much, but still better than what we had about 4 hours ago. I'm sure Bill will bundle it with something (maybe a 5th) to trade up to a fourth.

it's poor business tho. They should've traded him when Brady left last year. They would have gotten much better value for him.

That's easy to say in hindsight. Trading away the reigning DPOTY would have caused uproar.

Perhaps, but the evidence of the necessity for a rebuild was obvious when Brady left. I don't think folks would've complained of we finagled a 2nd or even low 1st out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Christy42

Coaches don't like losing and having a better defense can take the pressure of whatever QB was there. They had a lot of covid opt outs last year so might have felt safer to keep him around. No team likes to be in a rebuild and coaches are well aware that when their final record gets given no one takes out the rebuild years.

I nearly did, had to do a couple of double takes before I got my head right!

Our OL is in bits for the Texans game. Brown and Mason ruled out, Onwenu and Wynn are still in the covid protocol.

So we could be looking at something like:

Herron - Ferentz - Andrews - Karras - Durant

That's awful, need to win this game. Their offense is very poor.

• Advertisement

The middle of that ol will probably be ok, it’s the tackles i’d be worried about. Thankfully, it’s the Texans, and with no jj or clowney. I don’t know enough about the Texans, but looks to me like Mercilus will be the main blitz pressure, and I don’t think he comes much from the edge, so we might get away with it this week. Definitely can’t be down to one first choice starter vs the boys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,051 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Think you missed the game :)

It wasn't pretty but ultimately the team pulled off a come from behind on the road and Mac again looked good to me, breaking more records in his rookie season.

Big improvement needed next time out to be competitive though.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Yep, well happy with the win yesterday, and the manner of it. I think we get a lot from gutting out a win after a poor start from a team-building perspective at this stage.

If you looked at Mac Jones blood-spattered jersey at the end of the game, you would have though he got a pounding, but to be fair the OL held up reasonably well (as I suspected they would). However, watched a good chunk of the Boys game and definitely don't like the prospect of their DL/our OL match-up.

On a final note, Judon outstanding again, let's hope he stays out of the tub, could really elevate this defence.

Judon was immense yesterday. He could challenge Tippett's franchise sack record if he keeps up the level he's at right now and with an extra game.

Mac is improving all the time which is good to see. That was a tough game and leading your team down the field on a winning drive will bring more confidence and belief to him and the whole offense.

Poor old meyers, second week he’s had his first career touchdown come off the board because of a holding penalty. Costly one too, what with Mac being stripsacked on the next play.

Defence balling tonight, and getting some luck too.

Mac and bourne! Some big balls after both being responsible for the pick six. Super throw from Mac.

In overtime, and punting on 4th & 3 at midfield to a team with over 500 yards of offence who only need a FG with one of the better long distance kickers in football.

Bill's decision making cowardly yet again.

Also, if there's a fund of some sort to donate to that would see McDaniels fired, I'd gladly throw in a months wages at this stage. The man is an absolute fraud.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,851 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Well that's one left behind. I would of went for it on 4th and 3 in OT.

• Advertisement

Lol, McDaniels must be one of the most decorated OC's in football and his name is linked with pretty much every head coach vacancy in the NFL.

I'm not sure if he'll ever make a great HC but I am sure that he's one of the best OC's in football.

Advertisement