Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pokémon 20th anniversary

• 13-01-2016 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭

As some Of you may know, the Pokémon franchise is turning 20 this year. Lots of events and special themed items upcoming so figured I'd start a thread for everything anniversary related!

What are some of your favourite Pokémon memories from the last 20 years?

Mine would have to be those few years in the late 90s early 00s when the series was in its prime. Trading cards with friends in school, then having the school banning them because of kids getting ripped off :P Carrying around my game boy and link cable to trade Pokémon. Walking into Smyths and seeing wall to wall Pokémon merch and The anime being on the den in the mornings!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Heartgold launch and after. Great that was. Specially them cool boxes they came in.

And like, back in 1999 when everyone was playing, and we'd play the TCG without knowing the rules, and no one had a link cable to trade with. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I still remember my Lv. 100 Salamence and Sceptile in Pokemon Ruby when I first had it. Unfortunately, I had no-one to trade with, so I ended up restarting. :( That save file also had a Lv. 65ish Machoke that I resented at the time because it was female, and thus "girly". Back in those days the idea of sharing XP by switching out weak Pokemon for a stronger one at the start of a battle was beyond me, I was only 10 when I started playing.

There was also a Lv. 100 Blastoise on a copy of FireRed that I lost when walking to a restaurant with my parents. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I always loved Jesse and James, Especially, wheezing and coughing, :)
    Think they got a victory bell near the end of the series.
    Always hated ash, he always showing off and he never wanted pikachoo to evolve into raichoo ;)

Oh the memories. Great thread op.

Edit: Jesse and James had "ardvarc" as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

I was getting a gameboy colour and pokemon blue for Christmas, knew where they were stashed and I could take down the box and look through the booklet. I also got a walkthrough magazine weeks before Christmas and used to love reading through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Anyone remember the little pokedex book you'd get in easons. It had the 150 pokémon in it, with the types & move lists but crucially not the levels of learning moves or evolution. Remember my best friends mum bought me one for Christmas. I was chuffed.
    That & the sticker book; as well as the TV show obviously.
    Who's that pokémon???? Duh-du-doo
    It's Meowth.....Onix.....Spearow :pac:
    I couldn't afford a gameboy during that time but would borrow them in the summers from friends.
    Fortunate to have experienced the tail end of the Turtles popularity, then WWF Wrestling & Pokemania

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I liked the anime when it first appeared. I tuned out in later seasons. I felt it declined after the Pokemon League but I liked it up to then. I liked the episode where Pigeot evolves, where Charmeleon evolves and battles Magmar, where Ash says goodbye to Butterfree (I thought you were coming back for him, Ash? :mad:). Probably others I can't recall but those are the ones that come to mind.

I remember feeling proud when I made sure my team in Pokemon Blue all reached level 100. Also catching Missingno.

I would say my favourite game has been the recent game I've played, Pokemon X. I took the battles more seriously this incarnation and had some fun wins. I've also bred a lot of 5 IV pokes and there's a good feeling of satfisfaction when you train one up and find it helps you in battles.

My hope for the future - and it may be in vain - is that they will make it a bit more mature in tone, at least with the player you use and the storyline, and just keep up the quality output really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I still remember my first playthrough of Blue at about age 12. I struggled to get out of the house. Charizard (Slash, Cut, Flamethrower and Fire Blast because why not?) on something like level 80 while the rest of my party is mid 30's for the Pokemon league.

Later on my Graveler learned Explosion. My thinking was: "Ohh, that sounds powerful! Let's try it on this Level 3 Pidgey!" :o

My first shiny was in Gold (before Gyarados) and I had no idea why it was a different colour. A fucking Caterpie. Later I got a Noctowl so that was a little better.

My playing history, as best I can recall goes: Blue, Red, Yellow, Gold, Silver, Crystal, Sapphire, Ruby followed by a loss of interest because RS were so boring. Picked up again at Platinum, then Pearl (unaware of the BW releases), Black 2, X, Y, AS and finally OR. X is currently my main game as ORAS are pretty weak in comparison.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

My playing history (not including spin-offs) is Red, Gold, Ruby, Emerald, Fire Red, Leaf Green, Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, White, Black, Black 2, White 2, Y, X, OR, and Alpha Sapphire. OR is my main, I'm contemplating banking over all my AS pokes and restarting AS as a Nuzlocke challenge.
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Anyone remember the little pokedex book you'd get in easons. It had the 150 pokémon in it, with the types & move lists but crucially not the levels of learning moves or evolution. Remember my best friends mum bought me one for Christmas. I was chuffed.
    That & the sticker book; as well as the TV show obviously.
    Who's that pokémon???? Duh-du-doo
    It's Meowth.....Onix.....Spearow
    I couldn't afford a gameboy during that time but would borrow them in the summers from friends.
    Fortunate to have experienced the tail end of the Turtles popularity, then WWF Wrestling & Pokemania
    That the one that gave terrible advice like "Save your master ball for hard to catch pokémon, like Tentacruel or Fearow!" :pac:

I remember a big moment for me way back at the start was finding someone with a link cable, so I could finally get the trade evolutions. I still remember my first, the ghostly Gengar :D

My first (non-Gyarados) shiny was a Sandshrew in Gold that was an odd kinda greyish colour due to the limitations of that console, and then Sandslash was kinda greenish red.

I really miss the days when pokémon was as ubiquitous as the late 90's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

My first shiny was Tododile in Crystal.

Didn't know it was anything special at the time, thought it would fix itself when it evolved.

When I finally reached Level 30 and Feraligator came and he was still green I reset the game as I thought it was broke :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I'm not playing the games long, maybe 7 years on off at this stage, though the series is older than me in fairness.

My first run of Pokémon Pearl I figured that I only needed my starter, and reached the E4 with a Lvl. 79 Torterra and a bunch of mid 20-30s, whom I just used to Revive Torterra with Bitter Herbs :( I was a bad trainer.

Figured it out eventually :pac:

My first shiny was in Pearl, a Shiny Shinx, gold and navyish, I KO'd it :( Would love one now.

First Shiny I caught was an Eevee which I gifted to my gf in the form of her favourite Pokémon, Umbreon, as I'm romantic.

Recently hatched a Shiny Infernape who I'm madly inlove with :D Hes pink

Currently on my way to completing the National Dex for the first time, in Pokémon Alpha Sapphire, my first proper attempt at this, over 400 down already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

So the first of the mythical pokemon to be released for this is Mew and it's out tomorrow.

It's being released as a code in Game in the UK. Anyone have any idea how to get it in Ireland?

http://www.pokemon20.com/en-gb/mythical.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Ascendant

Good heavens, has it really been that long?

I recall my younger sibling being mad into it, complete with Pikachu alarm clock which would ring with the sound of the little critter's name. Used to drive me nuts in the morning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

bkrangle wrote: »
    So the first of the mythical pokemon to be released for this is Mew and it's out tomorrow.

It's being released as a code in Game in the UK. Anyone have any idea how to get it in Ireland?

http://www.pokemon20.com/en-gb/mythical.html

Pop up to Belfast for the day?

I've tweeted a few game stores in the uk before and one of them sorted me out with a code. Could try that also

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭bkrangle

Pop up to Belfast for the day?

I've tweeted a few game stores in the uk before and one of them sorted me out with a code. Could try that also

Probably won't make it up to Belfast within the month but will give the tweeting a shot, thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It's really aggravating how screwed we tend to get for events and the like. They did Rayquaza in Smyths, which was great, but any Gamestop events never actually happen in Gamestop here, Game aren't in the Republic at all any more either.

Either use Smyths, make Gamestop actually run the events, or just do them online!

Serial numbers in stores is such an outdated distribution method anyway. All events should be done Globally and online in this day and age. Worst case, let Japan have it a little earlier but the rest of the world should get it at the same time. Canada and Australia seem to often get the same issues we get for events like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I remember watching the first ever episode on Sky 1 and thinking "what the hell is going on?!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Angron wrote: »
    It's really aggravating how screwed we tend to get for events and the like. They did Rayquaza in Smyths, which was great, but any Gamestop events never actually happen in Gamestop here, Game aren't in the Republic at all any more either.

Either use Smyths, make Gamestop actually run the events, or just do them online!

It's so annoying that they have a whole system set up for online distribution yet use serial codes for a lot of events. I know it may be because some people don't have Internet access or whatever but I'd say it's minuscule compared to the amount of people that can't get to a place where the code distribution is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I'd have thought the point of the In-Store events is that it gets kids to drag their parents to McDonalds or Smyths or Game where they will see a bunch of Pokémon merch and media on display and they'll hopefully walk out with a few packs of cards or a Pikaplushie to go with their download code. And they might meet a few other players, maybe an impromptu battle or two will take place, raising awareness of the social aspects of the game. Remember that having to interact face to face with other Trainers has been a cornerstone of the series since day 1.

downloading the event 'Mon over wifi in your bedroom at 2 am kind of goes against the spirit of Pokémon, even if it is a damn sight more convenient.

BTW, anyone playing the spiritual successor, Pocket Morty? :D

I know I've read people saying that some stores wouldn't give out a code unless someone pre-ordered or bought something, even if that something was nothing to do with Pokemon. That wasn't a requirement of the codes though, it was just the places trying to wring some money out of people.

And interacting face to face with people may have been a cornerstone from day one, but that was back when the only way to trade was if you had a two foot long cable to connect you to another game boy. Things have come a heck of a long way since then.

• Advertisement

Anyone buying the Red/Blue/Yellow releases for the 3DS next week?

Yeah, unfortunate Red/Blue is on the black and white colour palette still.

12744609_504032769779792_2428969437253724002_n.jpg?oh=7c0923e192d1f980e34605dc5d29f0f4&oe=572BBB05

I'll probably be getting Red. Have a working copy of Blue as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Oh... my.... God...

That makes me feel soooo old!!!!

Anyone buying the Red/Blue/Yellow releases for the 3DS next week?

What's this??? I really want those games!!!!

trixychic wrote: »
    What's this??? I really want those games!!!!

They are releasing the originals on the 3DS eShop next week to mark the 20th anniversary of the Japanese launch. No graphical update mind. 27th I think...

They are releasing the originals on the 3DS eShop next week to mark the 20th anniversary of the Japanese launch. No graphical update mind. 27th I think...

Is it a limited time or offer or anything??? I have been trying to get those games for months now

trixychic wrote: »
    Is it a limited time or offer or anything??? I have been trying to get those games for months now

Not limited. I don't know the prices mind.
    I wouldn't buy original carts due to batteries tbh

Not limited. I don't know the prices mind.
    I wouldn't buy original carts due to batteries tbh

So it'll be best to buy these ones. Are they only in black and white?? I could have sworn my pokemon blue was in colour.

• Advertisement

Tenner each on the e shop. They haven't included the colour palette from the super gameboy/N64/GBA so no colour red/blue.

Tenner each on the e shop. They haven't included the colour palette from the super gameboy/N64/GBA so no colour red/blue.

Is that it!!! Omg can you put up a link??? God i wonderwill they put up the colour pallette for those games... might get all three!!!

Otherwise, check the e-shop on your 3DS, they're already up for listing.

Otherwise, check the e-shop on your 3DS, they're already up for listing.

Brilliant. Last question... I've never used the e shop on the ds.... is og pay by card or PayPal or what???

You can use a card, or buy e shop credit in shops, tesco and the like, and buy it like that.

12764623_504946559688413_6720232456164941171_o.jpg

• Advertisement

Is yellow any bit coloured?
    Thinking of getting that tbh. Can't you get the original 3 starters if you take care of the Pikachu?

Decisions, Decisions :rolleyes:
    :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Is yellow any bit coloured?
    Thinking of getting that tbh. Can't you get the original 3 starters if you take care of the Pikachu?

Decisions, Decisions :rolleyes:
    :o

There is definitely some colour in it. You can get 2 of the starters around the second gym, can't remember where bulby is.

It does indeed have colour.

12744394_504938576355878_4871363114882822723_n.jpg?oh=4d67774da896885fca20675f318e812c&oe=575EC699

Oh no, not the first gym badge in yellow *goes to cry in the corner*

Oh no, not the first gym badge in yellow *goes to cry in the corner*

That's what you get your butterfree for! Or mankey.

• Advertisement

Love Mankey. Might evolve him to Primeape 20 minutes later.....Mankey has entered Box 1.

I remember playing Yellow as a kid and not knowing that Confusion would murder the entire gym. I grinded both Pikachu and Rattata to 20-something so I could beat the gym. Felt rather thick when I used a Butterfree by chance on a later playthrough :o

I remember playing Red, and the first time I played through my Butterfree didn't learn confusion. Had no idea why, and to this day I'm not sure. Best I can figure is I must have accidentally cancelled the evolution at level 10, which is when it's supposed to learn confusion.

Angron wrote: »
    I remember playing Red, and the first time I played through my Butterfree didn't learn confusion. Had no idea why, and to this day I'm not sure. Best I can figure is I must have accidentally cancelled the evolution at level 10, which is when it's supposed to learn confusion.

It doesn't actually learn confusion in red/blue at level 10, only in yellow :pac:

Then I really have no idea why it never learned it.

It doesn't actually learn confusion in red/blue at level 10, only in yellow :pac:

Never knew that. lvl 12 in R/B
    http://serebii.net/pokedex/012.shtml

Mankey is rare enough iirc. Butterfree is great in the early game.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Omg, just saw R/B/Y are available and only for a tenner!

Can't decide between Red (my first!) or Yellow (for the anime nostalgia) now though.

Heh, yeah. I bought Yellow, I'm also tempted to buy Red in German cause I'm trying to learn it, and what better way to learn than by doing something I love :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,189 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Some grind getting a team ready to face Brock. These old school games are so different to X,Y,OR and AS.

Yup, there's a bit of a difference. I'm in Mount Moon at the minute, have a team of Nidoran male and female, Mankey, Butterfree, Pidgeotto, and Pikachu, all around level 14 or 15.

• Advertisement
Advertisement