Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why no Istanbul thread?

• 12-01-2016 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭

A suicide bomber killed ten people in the tourist centre of Istanbul today.

Struck a chord with me as I was on that square last April.

Why is there no reaction here?

Just because it happened in Turkey and not France then it doesn't warrant a thread? Strange logic.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,060 ✭✭✭✭GBX

It's an awful event. RIP to those who lost their lives and those injured.

Thanks for starting a thread on it. Got there before me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

oh jesus, I thought we got over this "awful things happen outside france too" nonsense a few days after the paris attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Coz everyones sick of Turkey after Christmas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

je suis Turkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

So is this the Istanbul bombing thread then or is it about people not starting a thread about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

mad muffin wrote: »
    je suis Turkey.

It's Istanbul. And not Constantinople.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just because it happened in Turkey and not France then it doesn't warrant a thread? Strange logic.

Stop being ridiculous, we're a lot closer to France than Turkey

Because no-one gives a shit. Turkey is only in the EU to take this kind of crap before it gets as far as civilised people. They're falling down on the job, at that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,579 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

BlibBlab wrote: »
    Stop being ridiculous, we're a lot closer to France than Turkey

So French lives are worth more than those in Turkey?

Also, it was mostly Western tourists killed today.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Because no-one gives a shit. Turkey is only in the EU to take this kind of crap before it gets as far as civilised people. They're falling down on the job, at that.

I must have been asleep the day Turkey joined the EU?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

There's no double standards or hypocrisy here. Turkey is no stranger to terrorist attacks - France is, which is why it's an infinitely bigger story when it happens somewhere like Paris.

I must have been asleep the day Turkey joined the EU?

I do apologise. I mean of course the Eurovision Song Contest.

If we had a thread for every terrorist attack, then we'll be talking about nothing but. You didn't create threads about attacks in other countries, but you do with Turkey. Weird logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭SuperGrover

See, thing here is, it struck a chord with you because you have been there. Paris would probably have struck a chord with a lot more people here so that's why they would have started / contributed to a thread about the killings there.

The same question could be put to you about any other atrocity in the world... e.g. are Afghan lives worth less than Turkish, etc. etc. ?

It's human nature and you have shown that yourself in your OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My news feed is alphabetical. Haven't got as far as 'T' yet, I'm only on 'H'

I see Rupert Murdock is marrying that wagon Jerry Hall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

So what you're saying is that it resonated more strongly with you simply because you have a personal connection to the location. Chances are more people here have visited France than Turkey, it may be strange logic, but it seems you follow the same logic.

Obviously the events in Turkey are tragic, just as they were in France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

See, thing here is, it struck a chord with you because you have been there. Paris would probably have struck a chord with a lot more people here so that's why they would have started / contributed to a thread about the killings there.

The same question could be put to you about any other atrocity in the world... e.g. are Afghan lives worth less than Turkish, etc. etc. ?

Exactly. What he have started a thread if he hadn't been there?

Instead of starting a thread about no one starting a thread, why not just start a thread about the incident and be the one to start that thread?!

(If you can tell me how many times I mentioned "thread" in this post, you win a prize.)

Knasher wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that it resonated more strongly with you simply because you have a personal connection to the location. Chances are more people here have visited France than Turkey, it may be strange logic, but it seems you follow the same logic.

Obviously the events in Turkey are tragic, just as they were in France.

Thousands of Irish people have been to Turkey and it is in Europe. Istanbul is a major city and a big tourist draw so I'm surprised at the apathy here.
    It is now confirmed that 9 of the dead are German. Is that too far away?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

You just made it out by the skin of your teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,049 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Because we're racist and you occupy the moral high ground.

(hopes that by telling OP what he wants to hear, OP will go away).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

Thousands of Irish people have been to Turkey and it is in Europe. Istanbul is a major city and a big tourist draw so I'm surprised at the apathy here.

If two murders happened today, one in Dublin and one in London, which one do you think people in Ireland would be more interested in?

Could you not just have started a thread about the incident instead of complaining about a lack of thread? Somebody would have to start it so why not you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

If two murders happened today, one in Dublin and one in London, which one do you think people in Ireland would be more interested in?

Which one was on x factor?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭conorhal

Could you not just have started a thread about the incident instead of complaining about a lack of thread? Somebody had to start it so why not you?

Because it would reduce the opportunity for a bit of whataboutery delivered from the saddle of ones high horse would be my guess?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Now your talking my kind of deaths. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

There is something very strange going on with the several recent bombings in Turkey. If it is indeed ISIS as Erdogan is claiming, why do they seem to be able to manage huge bombings in Turkey yet their attacks elsewhere are limited to rudimentary suicide shootings like the one in Paris?

The cynic in me thinks that it's a false flag by Erdogan so he can continue his crackdown on the kurds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

The way you phrase the last two sentences it's as if there was a deliberate decision agreed by the rest of us not to start a thread on it. :)

And also you're putting words in people's mouths - nobody said Turkish lives are worth less than French ones (France, especially Paris, is an extremely multi ethnic country too), of course they aren't.

You kinda answered your own question by mentioning that the attack in Istanbul resonated with you due to you being there recently - resonance is the exact reason why there isn't exactly equal coverage given to all atrocities. It's unfortunate but there's no deliberate intention among news consumers (maybe among media itself) to focus more on one than the other.

Bit of a difference between a murder and an international terrorist incident.
    Stark wrote: »
    Because we're racist and you occupy the moral high ground.

(hopes that by telling OP what he wants to hear, OP will go away).

I'm not taking any high ground just surprised at the lack of discussion here about it.
    Also, even if I went away the thread would still be here.
    Could you not just have started a thread about the incident instead of complaining about a lack of thread? Somebody would have to start it so why not you?

I was just wondering why non one seems to care about this incident. Istanbul is a major international city not a backwater somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You know you could just have started one without the guilt-tripping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

why do they seem to be able to manage huge bombings in Turkey yet their attacks elsewhere are limited to rudimentary suicide shootings like the one in Paris?
    Turkey shares a land border with Syria and Iraq.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Islamic State have murdered 9 German citizens in Istanbul this afternoon. So not only do Germans risk getting raped and killed in their home country it now seems they are targets overseas also. No points for guessing the religion or Nationality of those responsible.

biko wrote: »
    You know you could just have started one without the guilt-tripping.

Guilt tripping is not the intention but more to ask why it is not being discussed.

People say I care because I have been there but there have been plenty of attacks in the past that have resonated with me.

For example, the shopping centre in Kenya, also struck a chord , have never been there but have been in shopping centres of course, and it made me realise that everywhere is a target nowadays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Bit of a difference between a murder and an international terrorist incident.

I'm not taking any high ground just surprised at the lack of discussion here about it.
    Also, even if I went away the thread would still be here.

I was just wondering why non one seems to care about this incident. Istanbul is a major international city not a backwater somewhere.
    I don't think nobody cares - I genuinely didn't know about it. There is likely another terrorist attack going on elsewhere now, or a short while ago, or shortly. To be truly consistent, all of them would have to be covered.

I wouldn't blame people in the East for focusing more on atrocities in the East and not covering those in the west so much. It's just one of our flaws as humans.

Azalea wrote: »
    I don't think nobody cares - I genuinely didn't know about it. There is likely another terrorist attack going on elsewhere now, or a short while ago, or shortly. To be truly consistent, all of them would have to be covered.

I wouldn't blame people in the East for focusing more on atrocities in the East and not covering those in the west so much. It's just one of our flaws as humans.

It's all over the news today, everywhere, and Istanbul is in Europe.

No one but you, of course. How can you say that for sure? I don't want to be snidey but I don't start threads on everything I care about. I can personally relate more to the French situation because I've been there 4-5 times and lived there for a Summer washing pots when I was 21. I've French friends, France is only across the border from where I live and is a stone's throw from Ireland. It's logical that we'd care more about those who are "closer" to us - it's a perfectly human response. You yourself can relate to Turkey because you've been there. I'd be upset if people from Buenos Aires, 1000s of kms from here, were shot down because I spent 5 months there and again have a couple of Argentinian friends. People in Ireland are closer in every sense to the French than the Turkish so are more empathetic to their plight. A lack of thread on Boards doesn't mean no one cares BTW.

Edit: first I heard of this news was on this thread BTW. I'm just out of work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

Turkey: 'IS suicide bomber' kills 10 in Istanbul Sultanahmet district - BBC News

Hang on..

Last i checked... Turkey were supporting ISIS covertly.... so why is ISIS bombing Turkey:confused:

No one but you, of course. How can you say that for sure? I don't want to be snidey but I don't start threads on everything I care about. I can personally relate more to the French situation because I've been there 4-5 times and lived there for a Summer washing pots when I was 21. I've French friends, France is only across the border from where I live and is a stone's throw from Ireland. It's logical that we'd care more about those who are "closer" to us - it's a perfectly human response. You yourself can relate to Turkey because you've been there. I'd be upset if people from Buenos Aires, 1000s of kms from here, were shot down because I spent 5 months there and again have a couple of Argentinian friends. People in Ireland are closer in every sense to the French than the Turkish so are more empathetic to their plight. A lack of thread on Boards doesn't mean no one cares BTW.

Edit: first I heard of this news was on this thread BTW. I'm just out of work.

There's no need to attack me with comments like 'No one but you'.

I didn't only start the thread because I have been to Istanbul but people are jumping on that.
    Has no body else here ever been there?

Either way, I don't get this connection thing at all.

I have no connection with Paris, but was shocked by the attacks as I was with 911 New York, London , Madrid, Mumbai, Nairobi, etc. Long list.

However, people here have clearly stated that they don't give a sh1t because it's in Turkey, as if it's on another planet and then have a pop at me for appearing superior.
    Also, ignore the fact that 9 German tourists were killed so it's as much an attack on the west as it is on Turkey.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Bloody tragedy alright. Looks like a suicide bomber on early reports. I wish there was a hell, so such people could burn in it.
    It's Istanbul. And not Constantinople.
    It's still Byzantium as far as I'm concerned dammit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Oh there was no thread?
    I'll ensure the next time I see a bomb detonation news bulletin, the first thing that will happen is......... I will rush to my computer and make a thread on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

ronan45 wrote: »
    Turkey: 'IS suicide bomber' kills 10 in Istanbul Sultanahmet district - BBC News

Hang on..

Last i checked... Turkey were supporting ISIS covertly.... so why is ISIS bombing Turkey:confused:

And he was Syrian.

• Advertisement

There's no need to attack me with comments like 'No one but you'.

That's exactly how your posts came across though. It wasn't meant as an attack.

Either way, I don't get this connection thing at all.

There's mountains upon mountains of research to support the idea that humans "care" more about those they relate to and have a connection to. You can google it and read up on it and perhaps then you might "get" it.
    I have no connection with Paris, but was shocked by the attacks as I was with 911 New York, London , Madrid, Mumbai, Nairobi, etc. Long list.

As was I. I didn't start a thread on Boards about any of them. I express my caring in other ways.
    However, people here have clearly stated that they don't give a sh1t because it's in Turkey, as if it's on another planet and then have a pop at me for appearing superior.

Who said they didn't give a ****? Clearly stated? Ah come now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Istanbul is an amazing city - it's appalling to hear that a suicide bomber has struck at the heart of the tourist district.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

I have to say Istanbul is probably my favourite city in the world, and I have travelled a lot.

I stayed just a few metres from the blast site recently and I am still in contact with the hotel owner where we stayed. Suffice to say he's devastated by what happened.

Initially I assumed this was a false flag by Erdogan to justify his crack down on the Kurds but it's already been confirmed as ISIS.

Which begs the question, has the Erdogan family supported a monster that it can no longer control? Turkey probably saw two massive benefits in ISIS, cheap smuggled oil and the degrading of Kurdish militias

That's exactly how your posts came across though. It wasn't meant as an attack.

There's mountains upon mountains of research to support the idea that humans "care" more about those they relate to and have a connection to. You can google it and read up on it and perhaps then you might "get" it.

As was I. I didn't start a thread on Boards about any of them. I express my caring in other ways.

Who said they didn't give a ****? Clearly stated? Ah come now.

There was no need for me to start a thread about Paris as the event got practical live coverage on this forum.

As for people saying they don't care, see post no 9 quoted below.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Stinicker wrote: »
    Islamic State have murdered 9 German citizens in Istanbul this afternoon. So not only do Germans risk getting raped and killed in their home country it now seems they are targets overseas also. No points for guessing the religion or Nationality of those responsible.

well thank god all brits didn't think like you in the 70's and 80's when a very small minority of catholic irish people supported something similar....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 754 ✭✭✭mynameis905

Knasher wrote: »
    Turkey shares a land border with Syria and Iraq.

Jesus really? I'd never have guessed.
    ronan45 wrote: »

Hang on..

They are buying the shít out of oil pumped from ISIS held areas directly into Turkey and Erdogan himself has been implicated. Lot more to this than meets the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

I don't really care if there is a thread or not, but the news did affect me. The Paris attacks probably shocked me more due to their brazenly callous nature but I have an emotional attachment with Istanbul for insignificant enough personal reasons.

I really love the city, I think it's a special place and certainly for reasons that don't matter in this thread I am grateful for the visit (only once, for a week) I made.

I met such intelligent, warm, decent people in Istanbul. I got fleeced by a taxi driver too, and I hated that, but so much of the rest of the visit left a lasting impression that this news really left me angry, sad and frustrated.

I knew before I read this thread there would poorly informed stereotyping and generalisations thrown about right through it. I have to hope that some people are joking and could not possibly be quite so ignorant.

As for people saying they don't care, see post no 9 quoted below.

Person. He's not the spokesman for everyone in Ireland. You could've just started a thread on it and left it at that - people are now using the thread for discussion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Magico Gonzalez

The supporting ISIS narrative through oil purchasing narrative really needs some more investigation.

What really happens is that cheap oil is bought from smugglers, some have previously bought from ISIS, some have not. Turkey is not directly dealing with and supporting ISIS although their indiscriminate purchasing of smuggled oil is indirectly helping.

This will become less and less of an issue as the global oil price continues to plummet and limited storage capacity fills up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Duggy747 wrote: »
    So is this the Istanbul bombing thread then or is it about people not starting a thread about it?

It's both.

• Advertisement
Advertisement