Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for recommendations for fitness programmes.

Options
  • 12-01-2016 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking at the threads here, it is obvious that I am not a typical poster.

I am 70. For my age, fit enough and never (touch wood) had any health issues.

Six days a week, I do a flat out walk (on the stopwatch) of between 3 and 5 miles. I do some stretching stuff and about 10 push ups every morning. I play golf twice a week.

In general conversation with my GP he recommends that I consider doing some "weights" and resistance training.

I no longer live near a convenient gym (and would not go anyway). I am not in the business of building the body beautiful.

I need the discipline of following a particular programme for general fitness and strength training. My real aim is to get my golf handicap down to single figures - which is a tall order for someone of my age.

I keep seeing ads for a programme called Max Workouts (Shin Ohtake). They write very beguiling promotional stuff - but, I have no way of knowing how realistic are their claims.

Are there other similar programmes out there??

I know that personal discipline is the most important element - but, I don't want to invest effort in some spurious programme.

Would welcome any suggestions or recommendations.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

First off - awesome. So great to see someone posting like this :)

Gyms aren't just about building the body beautiful - they'e home to the equipment you need to perform a lot of the work you should be doing. So unless you're going to invest in some equipment for home, you should probably reconsider it.

Before starting anything, you should really get the advice of a good trainer - there's a lot of things that go wrong with weight training if you've never done it, especially at 70! (though you sound pretty fit at the moment)

Where are you based? Someone may be able to recommend a trainer (note: go with recommended trainers if you can, any sap can become qualified these days, a cert means very little)

Finally, don't bother with any programs you see online. They're often very high intensity and very high impact and not suitable for someone to start out on.

Hope that helps!

(this is coming from someone who is a personal trainer, owns a gym, teaches other people how to be personal trainers and has competed nationally and internationally in weightlifting competitions for the last 10 years, just to clairfy!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Hanley wrote: »
    First off - awesome. So great to see someone posting like this :)

Gyms aren't just about building the body beautiful - they'e home to the equipment you need to perform a lot of the work you should be doing. So unless you're going to invest in some equipment for home, you should probably reconsider it.

Before starting anything, you should really get the advice of a good trainer - there's a lot of things that go wrong with weight training if you've never done it, especially at 70! (though you sound pretty fit at the moment)

Where are you based? Someone may be able to recommend a trainer (note: go with recommended trainers if you can, any sap can become qualified these days, a cert means very little)

Finally, don't bother with any programs you see online. They're often very high intensity and very high impact and not suitable for someone to start out on.

Hope that helps!

(this is coming from someone who is a personal trainer, owns a gym, teaches other people how to be personal trainers and has competed nationally and internationally in weightlifting competitions for the last 10 years, just to clairfy!)
    yup post up where you live

• Registered Users Posts: 5 PaddyBawn

Thanks guys.

First off - I don't see myself going down the road of doing any serious weights.

Second - Even if there was a gym convenient to me, I know that I would not go. It is just not me. I am too busy - especially when I factor in time from door to door.

My aim is to get generally fitter - with the prime aim to improve my golf. On the golf front, I need to improve my technique around all aspects of the game, but, I also need to improve my strength and fitness.

To increase my distance, I need to work on my core - but not in isolation.
    To avoid fatigue coming up the 18th (in the rain), I need to increase my overall fitness.

I thought about getting a Home Gym - but don't really have the room. The only product that would fit space wise is a product called Total Gym, but I have no idea whether it lives up to the hype of it's promotional stuff.

I plan on getting dumbbells, medicine ball, chin up bar etc., etc.

But I need to follow a structured programme - both from a guidance point of view and to help in keeping to a discipline.

Advertisement