Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whey Protein & Weight Gain

Options
  • 12-01-2016 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭

So last summer, i was on a pretty good workout regime which include whey protein. My goals then were to put on some weight and some muscle which I did. I took the protein for about a month and a bit along with a healthy diet and by the end of the summer (about 3 months overall i think) I had gained 5/6 kg which I was happy with.

Recently I have been off the gym and off the whey protein but am still eating pretty much the same healthy foods that I had been eating last summer. But suddenly yesterday I weighed myself for the first time in a long time and I discovered that I lost all that weight I put on as well as some of the muscle as well.

My mind is telling me that the Whey Protein I had last summer must have had an effect and is the missing ingredient in my diet atm.

Does Whey Protein effect your weight. I want to gain weight as well as muscle. I look to get back in the gym very soon and I will be looking at once again taking either Pure Whey Protein or Whey Protein Isolate. Can anyone else relate to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It's down to calories. A scoop of whey is in the region of 120 kcals if made with water. If made with milk, add in 50-60 kcals per 100ml.

But ultimately you consumed above maintenance when you put on weight and below it when you lost it.

The only way the protein made a difference was if you were getting a boatload of calories from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

What Alf said really , You need to monitor it. If your taking a break from the gym you still need to eat at maintenance and track it in order to maintain your weight and muscle, if not taking protein shakes then be eating something else to make up the differance.

It's simple really , you eat less you will lose weight and muscle , eat maintenance (Not working out) will maintain weight , may lose some muscle if not working out , eat extra (Not working out) gain fat.

I took a 2 month break before Xmas because work was mental and I dropped a couple of pounds, then leveled out but when I did my weight before I go back to the gym my weight was the exact same as where I left off once I started monitoring my diet again. Strength was slightly down but recovered quickly , size was the same as I never cut.

Advertisement