Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sugar Crash on Rté what a load of

Options
  • 11-01-2016 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Anyone watch sugar crash with Eva Orsomond on Rté? They dramatically said sugar is killing more people than the famine did, compared it to smoking and showed a family who cut down on sugar for a month magically become way healthier in just four weeks!

That Eva one was the expert is extremely annoying, she left operation transformation after she was a complete bi*tch to one of the people trying to lose weight.

Very bad programming out of rte to give her her own show to spread this shiite I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Important message but that Eva is way too hyperbolic at times. I've never been able to figure out just what type of doctor she is either...

I'm always a bit wary of nutritionists and the like, a-la Dara O'Briain, they give the right message in general but they tend to over complicate and medicalise what is really pretty simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,340 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What famine?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 SusieZoom

Anything RTE does is just a copycat of British networks such as Channel 4. Channel 4's shows on sugar are of much more better quality.

Every time she says "the Irish" it's like nails on a black board to me. They really set out to scare the be'jasus out people rightly so but coming from her it couldn't be anymore condescending :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭brevity

Whatever about the program itself, abusing sugar is definitely a problem all over the world so its good to make people aware.

Jamie Oliver's program a few months ago was quite good as well.

I'd wager in a few years drinking a can of normal coke will have a the same stigma as smoking does now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

Horrible narrator I had to turn it off her voice was grating on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Anyone watch sugar crash with Eva Orsomond on Rté? They dramatically said sugar is killing more people than the famine did, compared it to smoking and showed a family who cut down on sugar for a month magically become way healthier in just four weeks!

That Eva one was the expert is extremely annoying, she left operation transformation after she was a complete bi*tch to one of the people trying to lose weight.

Very bad programming out of rte to give her her own show to spread this shiite I think.

Try it yourself and see the difference.
    From a Diabetic who had to kick sugar to the kerb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭BlibBlab

It was poorly done, but sugar is a massive problem. If it encourages some people to cut down then all the better. Op, I think you need to look up the effects of sugar on our health and wellbeing if you think it's trivial

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

SusieZoom wrote: »
    Anything RTE does is just a copycat of British networks such as Channel 4. Channel 4's shows on sugar are of much more better quality.

No they're not.

They're both similar.

#begrudgery

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pepe silvia

Well the show itself was terrible attempting to use dramatic music and 'experts' spouting very questionable information. Aside from that I think all these 'sugar is the devil' shows are actually actually harmful.

They actually said on the show tonight there was a demonisation of fat in foods in the 80's. That actually led to more sugar in foods which now is the next big topic for these quacks.

We get energy from sugars and fats..there's a reason they taste nice, our body craves them for their energy.

Extreme consumption obviously is bad with any food, but if they take sugar aswell as all the fat they've already taken out of our foods, where will we get quick and cheap energy? From un-natural sources made in labs?

• Advertisement

Well the show itself was terrible attempting to use dramatic music and 'experts' spouting very questionable information. Aside from that I think all these 'sugar is the devil' shows are actually actually harmful.

They actually said on the show tonight there was a demonisation of fat in foods in the 80's. That actually led to more sugar in foods which now is the next big topic for these quacks.

We get energy from sugars and fats..there's a reason they taste nice, our body craves them for their energy.

Extreme consumption obviously is bad with any food, but if they take sugar aswell as all the fat they've already taken out of our foods, where will we get quick and cheap energy? From un-natural sources made in labs?

soylent green is the only answer ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Not really a discussion for the TV forum but we shouldn't really be eating anything "they've" interfered with much at all.

Fancy a curry? Make it from scratch rather than getting it from a jar or packet. Same goes for pretty much everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

There's a massive problem here, you only have to look around to see it. Look at any archive on Irish tv even going back 15 or so years and observe the amount of thinner people. Our diet has gone to sh!te in the past while and if it takes someone like dr Eva to get the message home, much as she grates on me, then so be it. Sometimes people don't like some home truths.

BlibBlab wrote: »
    It was poorly done, but sugar is a massive problem. If it encourages some people to cut down then all the better. Op, I think you need to look up the effects of sugar on our health and wellbeing if you think it's trivial

Well I have done some research on the subject. In my opinion it is over-emphasised and lack of physical exercise is a much bigger problem.

Would you also be in favour of telling children that if they smoke weed they will turn into heroin addicts as has been done in the past? If it stops some of them developing drug problems would it be worth it?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Anything that raises awareness about the abundance of sugar in everyday food products is a good thing in my book. Granted the BBC and Channel 4 do it better, but shows like this are to be welcomed. A lot of the public are uninformed when it comes to these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Diet has a far, far bigger effect on health and weight than exercise, which any meaningful research would tell you. There's a reason for the phrase "You can't outrun a bad diet".

But, again, we're wandering far out of the remit of the TV forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Don't shoot the messenger.........no matter how bloody annoying they are.

The message is an important one none the less- watch Fedup on Netflix, very good account of the problem and 100% Dr Eva free!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,280 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

OP read this paragraph over and over again and you may eventually see the irony. I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    There's a massive problem here, you only have to look around to see it. Look at any archive on Irish tv even going back 15 or so years and observe the amount of thinner people. Our diet has gone to sh!te in the past while and if it takes someone like dr Eva to get the message home, much as she grates on her, then so be it. Sometimes people don't like some home truths.

I was in Brussels a few weeks ago and for the first time being skinny felt normal.
    Very few fat people that I could see and those that were fat were the equivalent of an average Irish male. Overweight but the minority

neckedit wrote: »
    Try it yourself and see the difference.
    From a Diabetic who had to kick sugar to the kerb.

In fairness its surely different for a diabetic. Is that not like a lactose intolerant person telling other people they should stop drinking milk?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 paidinmhaire

I think the programmes message is timely. The scientific and medical evidence of the harmfulness of excess consumption of refined sugars added to our diets is indisputable.
    I think it worthwhile to take note of the academic qualifications of most of the contributors to the show, all of whom were giving the same message.

For anyone with an interest in the topic and an appetite(!) for a little more science, you could do worse than picking up a recent book by one of the contributors, Dr. Robert Lustig.
    He's a paediatric endocrinologist from the U.S. with what seems like a passionate interest in the issue of obesity and he has led much of the opposition to the formidable food/sugar lobby's worldwide. The books called "Fat Chance: the bitter truth about sugar".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Eh, she made the point that now more People are dying from obesity than famine in the world. This is an interesting fact in fairness. She never mentioned the famine or a famine... Just famine.

We need more of this. The amount of people drip feeding their kids juice and eating low fat yogurt thinking they're making healthy choices is disturbing. Also something needs to be done about our sugar and obesity crises.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Where did your grandmother get her energy from? Before fat was demonized and food was mass produced processed sugary glop. You know, when people were skinnier and healthier.

Clue: three letters starts with f.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Cerveja

The message of the show is good but Eva Orsomond has an awful voice (at times sounding like Bosco), made it hard for me to stick with the show.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Where did your grandmother get her energy from? Before fat was demonized and food was mass produced processed sugary glop. You know, when people were skinnier and healthier.

Clue: three letters starts with f.

Thats my point..fat was wrongfully demonized the same as sugar is now.

The World health organisation also said pork products cause cancer..if there was equally dramatic show on rte telling people to stop eating sausages i dont think it would be as well received as the anti sugar message is here and rightfully so, i dont think we should stop eating either

BlibBlab wrote: »

TBH I think it was excellent and should be compulsive viewing for those who are obese, overweight, have diabetes, high cholesterol and who have kids .....that covers most of us! I use only about 1 kg bag of sugar a year, ....I put it in nothing ....yet it's in almost everything 😡😡

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

No they're not.

They're both similar.

#begrudgery

Ha! Living in the UK and working for the NHS the same kind of comments on such programs gets passed. I always worry a bit about scaremongering - it happens so often that the important message gets lost; From Edwina Curry and the 'eggs' scare, to the afore mentioned fat, types of carbs, even alcohol. People get danger-info fatigue!

Education in moderation is the only way. Maybe crank it up slowly over time as tell someone how little they consume weekly means concern about alcoholism, for example, no matter how scientific, dramatic quotas loses attention.

It is also foolish to look to past consumption trends as a panacea for public health as not all was good. Back to CHD in Ireland with the morning fry up 7 days a week.

Anybody catch the school in Louth that featured?

Without tobacco/cigarette type regulation all these things are a tough to push! especially to people already in mindsets. Change is needed via the youngest up and with free pre-school at 3 yrs old now at least education can intervene early enough if the public and by extension political will is there.

Scary if nothing changes as we and our children will be carrying a very very heavy healthcare burden (on top of an aging population as it is).

In fairness its surely different for a diabetic. Is that not like a lactose intolerant person telling other people they should stop drinking milk?

The poster is trying to stop you getting diabetes in the first place!! People only hear what they want to hear " it'll never happen to me" !!! Too easy to keep shovelling in the sugar !

TBH I think it was excellent and should be compulsive viewing for those who are obese, overweight, have diabetes, high cholesterol and who have kids .....that covers most of us! I use only about 1 kg bag of sugar a year, ....I put it in nothing ....yet it's in almost everything 😡😡

I know people who would use half a kilo of sugar a day and they have none of those problems, and play sport to a decent standard.

I know in excess (i dont mean excess as in just over the recommended daily amount,id say 10 times that) it is a factor but why is sugar being singled out as the cause to every health problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭garden

Thought the program was a ripoff of The Truth About Sugar which i watched on youtube however a lot of people wouldn't go out of their way to sit down and watch such a program online (and it was awful boring).

Having these type of programs on a prime time slot will reach a greater audience and thats what we need.

I would have like to have known in more detail what changes the Ryan family made. I don't buy juices, yoghurts, jars etc. but am struggling to fill up the lunch boxes and offer varity.

Advertisement