Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post Christmas lull

Options
  • 11-01-2016 5:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Long time reader, first time poster in these parts (Had to dig up my old account for the pleasure).

Just a quick run down. 25 year old fella, got my act together last February after years of bad eating and inactivity. The usual story, lots of GAA and rugby growing up then college kicked in. Since February 2015 I've dropped from 106 to 87.5kgs (well before Christmas), and 25% odd BF to 13%.

Decent gym with a good atmosphere, with a really good trainer to boot. Readjusted the diet and worked hard in the gym. Building up to a situation where I was training 3-5 times a week and building my whole life around getting my sessions in.

Just wondering if anyone else feels a serious post Christmas lull? Haven't been up to the gym since Christmas Eve and while my diet is still decent I'm struggling for motivation.

I suppose I know the answer, just go up and get back in the swing of it. Just wanted to have a moan! :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

I know how you're feeling. I was fine for the week of Christmas but the week after I just went into a total slump and ate nothing but chocolate and junk. I don't even really like chocolate.

Finding it really difficult to motivate myself to go to the gym lately. I think it's because i know it's going to be super busy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Taboola wrote: »
    Finding it really difficult to motivate myself to go to the gym lately. I think it's because i know it's going to be super busy.

Struggling a bit with motivation also. But I was in the gym 3 nights last week (Monday, Tuesday and Thursday). And all 3 nights were quieter than they normally are :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

BDJW wrote: »
    Struggling a bit with motivation also. But I was in the gym 3 nights last week (Monday, Tuesday and Thursday). And all 3 nights were quieter than they normally are :eek:

Its usually THIS week in January that it goes bananas. But its only like that for 3 weeks then back to business as usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Take a planned break.

Just work on mobility, relaxation, keep diet good.

Figure out where you like to be in 12 months and make a plan with your trainer.

Maybe consider adding competition some where or other be in lifting, martial arts rugby whatever.

Goals and having someone to compete with are great motivators

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Think about why you go. Setting goals for what you want to achieve is great. Gives you an aim. But think about why you want to achieve it. Sometimes tapping back into that refocuses things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Its usually THIS week in January that it goes bananas. But its only like that for 3 weeks then back to business as usual.

Couldn't be any truer!

Went back last week, first time since first week in December. Done my ankle/shin in at football.

Anyway, last wed/fri, gym was empty. Great!
    Back in this evening. Like that Royal Rumble meme that's gets circulated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

kceire wrote: »
    Couldn't be any truer!

Went back last week, first time since first week in December. Done my ankle/shin in at football.

Anyway, last wed/fri, gym was empty. Great!
    Back in this evening. Like that Royal Rumble meme that's gets circulated!

I was there tonight, it just seemed like a normal Monday evening....thankfully!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

A lot of people are broke after Christmas.

See how it is after January paycheck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

I'm in the same position as you OP, haven't done any weights since before xmas although I'm back jogging outdoors this week.

I think one of the mistakes both seasoned and beginner gym-goers make at this time of year is that they feel they have to go hard it from the get go after the xmas break. This is totally wrong strategy imo especially for beginners where it leads to them dropping out a couple of months later.

The right strategy imo is to ease your way back into it in a casual non-frantic fashion. You can't just flick a switch and be back where you were doing 5-6 days a week just like that. Aim to do 2/3 days for the first couple of weeks and build it up as and when you feel like it. Don't put unnecessary pressure on yourself, there's no rush. You'll be back to your heady routine in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

A lot of people are broke after Christmas.

See how it is after January paycheck.

+1

Monday 1st February :eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Went back last week and same motivation is an issue , but that's January for you. I switched to lunch time sessions in order to avoid the packed gyms and that's working ok.

Just on autopilot at the minute until I get back into the swing of it , lunch time comes pick up my bag get over and get it done like I planned, Once I'm in the gym and lifting it's fine , it's the motivation to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I generally found motivation going down the toilet with the terrible weather. I've been doing a lot more body weight stuff at home but it's not really the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Zillah wrote: »
    I generally found motivation going down the toilet with the terrible weather. I've been doing a lot more body weight stuff at home but it's not really the same.

Its the dark mornings and dark evenings that do me in. I find it so hard to get up early enough to go to the gym before work this time of year, and then im too tired after work. Its a fairly common problem for me from about November to February. Its not just the gym though, my motivation for study is not good in the dark mornings/evenings either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 OneOfTheseDays

Nice to see others in the same boat,, and thanks for the advice.

I suppose my own goal was to get below 90kgs before Christmas, hadn't really thought beyond that point (It seemed very far away last March). Good idea to take some time and reassess where I'm going and what I'm training for.

Also fully agree about the weather, it's poxy.

/still finding my way around Boards again so didn't try to quote people

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What's your favourite lift or conditioning piece?

I love pressing for example and I'm always happy to do some sort of interval piece on the C2, say 5 x 500m with 1min rest.

So on a week where I'm feeling down / unmotivated I'll make sure that I go down the gym and rack a bar and press it over my head a few times and then hop on the rower after. I enjoy those things, and even if it doesn't fit with a current workout plan, etc I know I'll have broken the cycle of doing nothing and USUALLY it will be easy to get back at it the next day.

So my advice is go down to the gym this evening and do your favourite lift or favourite exercise. And just go down aiming to do that. Maybe you'll feel good and do something else after or maybe you won't - but you'll have got down there and done something. That is normally enough to get you back on track.

Best of luck.

Advertisement