Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best dairy free protein powder

Options
  • 11-01-2016 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭

I need to get some dairy free protein powder, I havent been taking any protein shakes for a few years but want to up my protein a bit while cutting. Can anybody recommend a decent dairy free protein powder that goes well with water? I have tried pea protein but it was vile.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

There's hemp, soya and beef as well.

Hemp protein is only ~50% protein. Soya isolate will have >90% protein. Beef protein isolate will be around the mid-90s.

Egg white powder would be in the low-mid 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

There's hemp, soya and beef as well.

Hemp protein is only ~50% protein. Soya isolate will have >90% protein. Beef protein isolate will be around the mid-90s.

Egg white powder would be in the low-mid 80s.

Have you any experience of how these taste and mix? I preferably want one that doesn't make me want to throw up immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Best tasting/easiest mixing I've found is either, Rawfusion or Soy Isolate from myprotein.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

fungie wrote: »
    Have you any experience of how these taste and mix? I preferably want one that doesn't make me want to throw up immediately.

No, I've only ever used whey.

Even if I did, I'm not sure how much use it would be as it's such a subjective thing. A lot of people like mint-choc whey. It makes me gag.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,085 ✭✭✭COH

My Mrs loves sun warrior....

http://www.sunwarrior.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

The soy I got from MyProtein was the worst thing I've had in my mouth.

It doesn't really mix, more of a very brief, foamy suspension. Horrendous. Never again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Sure given the link between soy and the bitch tits hormones, would you not consider getting a lactose-free whey protein? Far tastier, and most of them include a bit of lactase enzyme to breakdown any minute amounts of lactose that makes it through the purifying process.

I use the ones from myprotein.co.uk, does a great job. Although I did get a funny batch once.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Runner2012

+1 rawfusion. Vanilla bean is my fave.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭fungie

discus wrote: »
    Sure given the link between soy and the bitch tits hormones, would you not consider getting a lactose-free whey protein? Far tastier, and most of them include a bit of lactase enzyme to breakdown any minute amounts of lactose that makes it through the purifying process.

I use the ones from myprotein.co.uk, does a great job. Although I did get a funny batch once.

Bitch tits is the look im going for.

discus wrote: »
    Sure given the link between soy and the bitch tits hormones

Total myth.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Zillah wrote: »
    Total myth.

There's a myth about soy and its links to estrogen?

Hanley wrote: »
    There's a myth about soy and its links to estrogen?

Isoflavones are not estrogen and there's no evidence they have adverse effects outside of a couple of fringe cases where people consumed obscene amounts for months on end. Soy does have a number of possible health benefits though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

I think he was being sarcastic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Don't have the time this month to get into this, however:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15735098

http://cebp.aacrjournals.org/content/5/10/785.short

While it's not as pronounced a threat as it was stated in 2004, there was a link found, and now no-one wants to touch the subject. No idea why.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Zombienosh wrote: »
    I think he was being sarcastic....
    Zillah wrote: »
    Isoflavones are not estrogen and there's no evidence they have adverse effects outside of a couple of fringe cases where people consumed obscene amounts for months on end. Soy does have a number of possible health benefits though.

my comment was in reference to the carefully worded post of discus - he didn't say soy GAVE you giant cans, jut that the hormone most frequently associated with them has some evidence around being effected by soy

either way, even if the risk is minor there's so many other ways of getting in good quality protein that I don't see the point :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The meta-analysis of all these studies said soy was fine and reduced prostate and breast cancer to boot, AFAIK.
    Most concerns are raised by Weston A. Price Foundation who are not biased at all :pac:

As for OP. I find hemp delicious. Bout 50% protein and a lot of other vitamins. I mix it with pea protein and have them in a smoothie. (banana, soy milk, peanut butter, cocoa powder, pea protein, hemp protein, option agave syrup) Pea is so cheap. Trying it with water gives me nightmares though.

bulkpowders have a vegan blend now in strawberry, peanut chocolate but I've not tried it.

Hanley wrote: »
    either way, even if the risk is minor there's so many other ways of getting in good quality protein that I don't see the point :)

There's no risk as long as you aren't actively guzzling massive amounts every day for months on end. Even then there's no consensus on if there is really a risk. And you would bother if you're vegan or can't have dairy, and maybe because, as Tar mentions above, soy has a range of potential health effects.

I mostly like to point out the myth because it's usually part of the whole vegetarians/vegans are pussies/weak/going-to-pass-out nonsense that people use to demonise them.

Advertisement