Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sledging and the underage game...

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    What could the ref have penalised us for in that situation though? It was never abusive and no foul language was used.

It's potentially unsporting (Law 10).
    "Acts contrary to good sportsmanship: A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Jawgap wrote: »
    "Acts contrary to good sportsmanship: A player must not do anything that is against the spirit of good sportsmanship in the playing enclosure."

So should Leinster/Ireland players be penalised any time they pass the ball to Mike Ross? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

When you say silence for the conversions, do you mean the opposing team or are you talking about people on the sidelines?

That was just for the players on the charge down attempt or just general noise if there was few heated discussions under the post.
    No complaints either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

razorblunt wrote: »
    That was just for the players on the charge down attempt or just general noise if there was few heated discussions under the post.
    No complaints either way.

Fair enough whistling players who are attempting to charge the conversion. I thought maybe the ref was expecting everyone at the ground to be silent.

Ok I accept that the anecdote I told could have been penalised under the sportsmanship law. It would have been ridiculous if the ref had done it though. I mean if a player loses his rag because the opposition are taking the piss out of his hairstyle then he has some issues.

A question for those saying that trash talking/sledging should be penalised; should Gregan have been penalised for his "4 more years" taunt against the ABs? What about Fitzy calling Kearns "Lightening" in one of his first tests due to his line out throwing? Should those have been penalised?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Fair enough whistling players who are attempting to charge the conversion. I thought maybe the ref was expecting everyone at the ground to be silent.

Ok I accept that the anecdote I told could have been penalised under the sportsmanship law. It would have been ridiculous if the ref had done it though. I mean if a player loses his rag because the opposition are taking the piss out of his hairstyle then he has some issues.

A question for those saying that trash talking/sledging should be penalised; should Gregan have been penalised for his "4 more years" taunt against the ABs? What about Fitzy calling Kearns "Lightening" in one of his first tests due to his line out throwing? Should those have been penalised?

Context and tone are important and if the ref in any given situation thinks it's unsporting then it's unsporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jawgap wrote: »

A few minutes later I blew for half-time at which point the coaches came on with the FB's coach marching towards me. I half expected him to have some words but he just marched past and shouted at the FB "I hope you learned your lesson, you f^ckin' muppet!!"

And that, my friend, is an excellent coach :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Those sort of antics shouldn't be done by any player. If a team considers it a fair tactic, well it says a lot about your confidence in your ability and skill as a whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Those sort of antics shouldn't be done by any player. If a team considers it a fair tactic, well it says a lot about your confidence in your ability and skill as a whole.

Trust me, there was nothing wrong with the team's skill or ability and if anything we may have had too much confidence. We just viewed the sledging as part of the game and we could back up the trash talking with results. (Translation: we were arrogant ****s but we won).

I guess I believe it has a place in the game (amongst adults). I asked earlier should Gregan and Fitzy have been penalised for the sledges in test matches? I'm sure there's examples of Irish players sledging. Should they have been penalised?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

What could the ref have penalised us for in that situation though? It was never abusive and no foul language was used.
    Singing out of tune for a start......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

jacothelad wrote: »
    Singing out of tune for a start......

We really need to stop letting the Welsh add laws, it gives them such an unfair advantage. I'd get rid of the singing out of tune law, and the law about correctly pronouncing, "Llanfair­pwllgwyngyll­gogery­chwyrn­drobwll­llan­tysilio­gogo­goch"

• Advertisement
Advertisement