Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

potatoes and chips calories question

Options
  • 11-01-2016 12:22am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭

downloaded my fitness pal app today and started using it. One of the items I had today was a portion of homemade chips cooked in the deep fat fryer.

So had about 3 large kerrs pink potatoes and cut them up and fried them. Problem is I forgot to weight them. Came out to be 900 calories- does this sound correct?

Nearly every other day I would normally have 2 boiled potatoes. so I checked it and it was giving 79 calories per potato - does this also sound right?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You would have to weigh them, get similar ones to what you used and weighed.

I did chipper ones before.
    Bag of chips from Italian chipper 455g

Going off mc-cains site their premium chips are 253kcal and 7.2g fat sat per 100g

So 1,151kcal and 33g sat fat so 24.5points for the bag.
    http://points.ogo.ms/

There is an interview with the italian chipper association guys on youtube, one guy said they used lard, another said a typical fish & chips has about 800kcal! no way in hell!

The other day I got a single bag which was just over 820g, including the paper bag, this was a ridiculously huge bag but just goes to show you need to weigh and certainly not believe takeaways claims. One chipper near me has on its menu
    -Fish and Chips have only 595 calories in the average portion

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

see the link here and select: Fresh potatoe -real chips

http://www.beshoffbros.com/regular-menu-nutritional-information/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

when you fry them they're soaking up a good bit of oil which adds lots of calories

ted1 wrote: »
    see the link here and select: Fresh potatoe -real chips

http://www.beshoffbros.com/regular-menu-nutritional-information/

good to see realistic figures for the chips. I think big boys like mcdonalds, burger king will be honest for fear of media doing their own tests. And beshoffs are well established with a good rep, and so more likely to be above board.

Some takeaways get 3rd party testing done but the simple scam is to send off tiny portions for testing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,322 ✭✭✭✭ted1

rubadub wrote: »
    good to see realistic figures for the chips. I think big boys like mcdonalds, burger king will be honest for fear of media doing their own tests. And beshoffs are well established with a good rep, and so more likely to be above board.

Some takeaways get 3rd party testing done but the simple scam is to send off tiny portions for testing.

apparently fat chips are better than skinny chips. skinny chips have more surface areas per weight and soak up more oil.

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    apparently fat chips are better than skinny chips. skinny chips have more surface areas per weight and soak up more oil.
    Yes, you have to watch portion sizes though.

McDonalds large fries are 460Kcal with 23g fat

http://www.mcdonalds.ie/content/dam/ireland/docs/nutrition.pdf

The Beshoffs are 901kcal with with 32g of fat.

So per calorie the mcdonalds have more fat. But the beshoffs portion is nearly twice the calories.

Many people complain about feeling hungry after mcdonalds, some make out like its some weird chemical or due to processing or something. I think the main reason is that they actually have pretty small portions compared to other takeaways. Some said its due to the food having low nutritional value but so do the other takeaways which some people are comparing too.

If you weigh your takeaway food some might really shock you.

I have also said if you followed those "supersize me" documentary rules in Ireland in most hotels vs mcdonalds here you would probably end up bigger from the hotels. This is also since mcdonalds portions are mostly smaller here.

These were the rules
    Spurlock followed specific rules governing his eating habits:
    • He must fully eat three McDonald's meals per day: breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
    • He must consume every item on the McDonald's menu at least once over the course of the 30 days (he managed this in nine days).
    • He must only ingest items that are offered on the McDonald's menu, including bottled water. All outside consumption of food is prohibited.
    • He must Super Size the meal when offered, but only when offered (i.e., he is not able to Super Size items himself; Spurlock was offered 9 times, 5 of which were in Texas).
    • He will attempt to walk about as much as a typical United States citizen, based on a suggested figure of 5,000 standardized distance steps per day,[9] but he did not closely adhere to this, as he walked more while in New York than in Houston

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

f140 wrote: »
    Nearly every other day I would normally have 2 boiled potatoes. so I checked it and it was giving 79 calories per potato - does this also sound right?

Sounds more like a per 100g figure. Sounds about right for that. Sweetpotatos are slightly (only slightly) lower in calories per 100g than ordinary potatos.

Advertisement