Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why can I lift weights one week and can't a week or two later

Options
  • 10-01-2016 2:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 624 ✭✭✭

noob-ish here so bear with me

been lifting weights the last year or so, averaged a good weights session twice a week the last year (January, June and July were my most dedicated, getting there 3 or 4 times a week), hoping to up it this year..

anyways, back to my query,

I've always been fit, aerobically, if I trained and got up to a good time for say a 10 KM run ... I could not do anything for a week or two and then easily go out and get a time similar-ish to the previous (although maybe a bit sore)

I've noticed this is completely different to strenght training, for example, at Christmas I was doing 4 sets of 6 clean reps on flat bench press with 26 KG dumbells (Xmas Eve)

I went to the gym for the first time on Monday (1 week 4 days) and I got

1 set, 4 reps 26KG
    1 set, 5 reps 24KG
    1 set, 5 reps 22KG
    1 set, 5 reps 20KG

why is there such a rolloff for weights if you don't train regularly, compared to cardio?

(also, I wasn't expecting to come back and be able to do what I was doing before Xmas, but I wasn't expecting to be down as far a 20's)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

1) you're out of practice, lifting weights is a skill in a greater way than getting fit to run is

2) you probably went to failure on the first set which means every other set was gonna suck too since you were already fatigued

You might have eaten more last time, or been less hungover, got better sleep, or 101 different things. Hell even your range of motion was different....

Basically, there's a lot of things it COULD be, but the only one that matters is to put a tick beside THAT workout, and then move on to the next one, because at least you did something.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Hanley wrote: »
    2) you probably went to failure on the first set which means every other set was gonna suck too since you were already fatigued

Yeah I really notice this when doing pull ups. If I go to failure on the first set, the remaining sets are shot. But if I do 1 rep less than failure, i can maintain that level for the remaining sets.

Advertisement