Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So I'm thinking of getting a mobile home in the future.

Options
  • 10-01-2016 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

Right, I am considering getting a mobile home for the following reasons;
    I prefer small spaces, no neighbors above or below me, and (according to quick research), it's cheaper than renting a home or flat.
    However, I have a few questions, and Google keeps referring me to British or American sites and their information isn't entirely relevant. Maybe you people could help?
    Is a mobile home cheaper in the long-run, what are the pros and con's, and have you any tips or other helpful information I could use?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

You need a site. You need ESB and water. Then you need to purchase the mobile home (prices vary wildly) and have that moved onto the site (costs involved there too)

They can be comfortable enough places to live in but bloody cold in winter and awfully warm in a good summer. They do deteriorate over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭damon5

Lived in one on a mobile site for 5 years plus had electricity,water and sewerage all plumbed up,cheap easy living.When I moved into it in in the winter time I would wake up to ice on the INSIDE covering the windows:eek: so installed radiators with a central heating system burning anthracit.Only thing was when there was major gales when lying in bed it would feel as though the mobile was going to take wings,a heavy rain fall amplified the noise from the roof but to me it was like heaven being as snug as a bug in a rug .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You will also need planning permission.

Suitably-insulated versions are available, although they will cost more.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Alienigenis

damon5 wrote: »
    Lived in one on a mobile site for 5 years plus had electricity,water and sewerage all plumbed up,cheap easy living.When I moved into it in in the winter time I would wake up to ice on the INSIDE covering the windows:eek: so installed radiators with a central heating system burning anthracit.Only thing was when there was major gales when lying in bed it would feel as though the mobile was going to take wings,a heavy rain fall amplified the noise from the roof but to me it was like heaven being as snug as a bug in a rug .

Wow, I do love the sound of rain. Without the radiators, was it ever freezing inside or was it not really noticeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭GardeningGirl

Hi I lived in one. I think if you are happy to prepare and maintain the structure then yes it's great!
    V. Cold in winter, I definitely recommend a heating system. Fitting a stove and good quality insulation, double glazed windows, etc will vastly improve heating savings and better quality of life in the long term.
    I advise having it thoroughly inspected, top and bottom :)
    Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Would a wooden house/log cabin be another option?

Would a wooden house/log cabin be another option?

They would, but from what I've seen they can be pricey.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Right, I am considering getting a mobile home for the following reasons;
    I prefer small spaces, no neighbors above or below me, and (according to quick research), it's cheaper than renting a home or flat.
    However, I have a few questions, and Google keeps referring me to British or American sites and their information isn't entirely relevant. Maybe you people could help?
    Is a mobile home cheaper in the long-run, what are the pros and con's, and have you any tips or other helpful information I could use?
    Thanks in advance.
    They would, but from what I've seen they can be pricey.

Where are you planning to place this mobile home / log cabin?
    Will it be a permanent home or holiday home?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Wow, I do love the sound of rain. Without the radiators, was it ever freezing inside or was it not really noticeable?

As a student- I lived in one for a few weeks, during the wintertime- on the Cooley Peninsula. I can honestly say it was at least as cold inside as outside- there was thick ice on the windows- and I was thrilled beyond belief when my placement ended. On the coldest nights- I used hike to the local youth hostel and stay there for the night- as much for the hot shower to thaw myself out as for any other reason.

Its not for the faint hearted in the wintertime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

Dont need planning while there is wheels on it as its still mobile.
    Lived in one for 6 yrs and it was great untii there was me the missus and 2 kids then it started to get small so then just had to build ..
    Could not fault a mobile to live in Mine cost 4 grand had my own place to put it with electric water and sewage already there so no issue that way..
    Rent where i am 120 a week so nearly 40k over a 6 yr peroid not thrown to dead rent..
    But saying all that if i did not have a site and had to get eletric sewage rent etc or pay for a mobile park it might be not really viable..

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Where are you planning to place this mobile home / log cabin?
    Will it be a permanent home or holiday home?

I've been looking into permanent residence, hopefully somewhere near Dublin on a rental site. I'd love to have my own land, but it can be expensive near here.

I've been looking into permanent residence, hopefully somewhere near Dublin on a rental site. I'd love to have my own land, but it can be expensive near here.

Then you will need planning permission and need to comply to our current building regulations.

Lived in one for 6 yrs and it was great untii there was me the missus and 2 kids then it started to get small so then just had to build ..
    Could not fault a mobile to live in Mine cost 4 grand had my own place to put it with electric water and sewage already there so no issue that way..
    Rent where i am 120 a week so nearly 40k over a 6 yr peroid not thrown to dead rent..
    But saying all that if i did not have a site and had to get eletric sewage rent etc or pay for a mobile park it might be not really viable..

there are some some exemptions relation to caravans etc, but there refer to storage of such, or the very brief use for camping.
    To put a caravan on a plot of land, you are going to need planning permission.

mobile homes / caravans on a plot of land require planning permission.

even more so, how you deal with your effluent also requires permission.

Its not uncommon for an application for a house to also include permission sought for a mobile home during construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

We used to holiday up at the boat all year round. On the site was a mobile home we would kip in during the winter months, character building I would say, but sometimes the boat was warmer, being slightly smaller inside and on the water which usually stayed a degree or two more than the air. That said neither were terribly insulated but I remember those crisp mornings yearning for a hot cuppa & then going for a sail around the lakes. Gas craic!
    There was a small gas fire in the caravan we'd light most times, but usually sat out under the stars beside a log bonfire get toasty & then hit the leabas. We'd go through a gas bottle maybe in a season? (Cooked with it often too)
    Tea lights were handy on the boat just to keep the chill damp out of the air. Also made a few wee kerosene burners out of beer cans for the craic and they were good air heaters too.
    The boat was handy, especially during the monsoon times and we took pity/ sympathy on the land owners who's fields or holiday homes nearby were flooded during the winter..
    I've moved into bigger things much further south from Letrim / Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭Eoinbmw

A modern mobile with double glazing apex roof and central heating is not exactly cheap!
    30k+ would get you into a 2 bed 2014/2015 .
    You need a proper concrete base with water and waste pipework and you should anchor them form the chassis!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

how long would a mobile home last before it has to be replaced. would you not be better of buying a block house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭arctictree

What about one of these puppies: http://www.shepherdshutsireland.com/ - No planning needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

Watch George Clarkes restoration man for some inspirations.
    Also a lot of new apartment blocks in the UK and around the world in built up cities are looking to the old shipping containers to convert them. Interestingly they actually work for appropriated spaces for couples, can be really ergonomic, and a lot cheaper on materials costs overall

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There has been one for rent in Donegal on daft for months; E50 a week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Mobile homes are pretty common in the US. They are mainly in the warmer south, but you will find them in colder NJ and Michigan too.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24135022

I personally wouldnt mind living in one if the rent was cheap. There is some decent quality ones, I think they have a very bad image here due to a certain minority. If there wasnt that stigma here. I say you possibly find trailer parks here, due to their low cost and the fact they are so easy to set up. Even Warren Buffet owns an interest in a trailer manufacturer.

• Advertisement

hytrogen wrote: »
    Also a lot of new apartment blocks in the UK and around the world in built up cities are looking to the old shipping containers to convert them. Interestingly they actually work for appropriated spaces for couples, can be really ergonomic, and a lot cheaper on materials costs overall

I'd say the planners here would have a fit!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

_6030833_orig.jpg

Do you have any funds available to purchase - you could buy an old cottage or terrace house for relatively little - less planning and sewage/esb/water issues.

They would also be less likely to blow over.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

hytrogen wrote: »
    Watch George Clarkes restoration man for some inspirations.

Shipping containers are a hell of a lot dearer than people seem to assume. Basically, any country that exports a lot doesn't have huge gluts of them lying around - and we export a lot.

Any scam to avoid planning has already been thought of and dealt with - leaving the wheels on just makes the entire thing unstable/dangerous and does not get around planning rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭dremo

You can join local gym too, unlimited shower/sauna/pool etc. Good quality sleeping bag helps too, I was using in my apartment last winter, and saved on bills big time. (argos has a good range) If I where you I'd install heater some kind for emergency situations like flu or damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I think that is incorrect

"A Placing a mobile home on any site for living purposes requires planning permission. However, a mobile home may be stored on a site for a period of six months provided it is not connected to any services. "

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah lots of ways around planning have been tried, some work.
    One guy couldn't get planning on his own land, so he built an agricultural shed.
    Lives in one half, horses in the other half.

Water John wrote: »
    Yeah lots of ways around planning have been tried, some work.
    One guy couldn't get planning on his own land, so he built an agricultural shed.
    Lives in one half, horses in the other half.

If he is living there then surely it would then be classed as a domestic residence?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Its an agricultural shed, with some windows. Not spoofing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I wouldnt freak out too much about the cold... a decent stove will heat it ( with little insulation it'll lose heat quick but it should be reasonably airtight.)
    They do have a bit of a reputation for being damp , probably poor ventilation...
    The big deal will probably getting a site and services, its possible to use solar panels and batteries if you are happy to limit your power use...,commercial composting toilets are available (might need more electricity than solar pv can provide)
    All of that could get pricey though..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement