Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strength training for GAA player

Options
  • 07-01-2016 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi

Just looking for some advice - I am just looking for a suitable gym programme which I could use while I'm back pre season training for my GAA team. I'm 20 years old, just over 6ft and I only weigh 70kg. I'm looking to bulk up slightly.
    I'm training 3 days a week for GAA team so I could probably get to the gym 2 days (maybe 3) a week.

All feedback would be greatly appreciated - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Do squats, deadlifts, bench, rows and finish with planks. 4 sets 10 reps of each (except planks, just do 4 sets obv). Not sexy but it will work and hit everything. Add in some glute activation exercises if you're really wanting to be snazzy.

Make sure you do some flexibility work, particularly hamstrings, glutes and hip flexors. The more the better, not just training days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

Just looking for some advice - I am just looking for a suitable gym programme which I could use while I'm back pre season training for my GAA team. I'm 20 years old, just over 6ft and I only weigh 70kg. I'm looking to bulk up slightly. I'm training 3 days a week for GAA team so I could probably get to the gym 2 days (maybe 3) a week.

Add 5-6 box jumps at the end of each work out. Use explosive movements when lifting weights ie bring the weight down slowly and power back up. If that means dropping the weight slightly than so be it.

Pull ups I would say are important too.

Work on core and forearm strength at the end of each workout

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Look at WhipIt's Fitness Log

Hes a GAA man

Advertisement