Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie to Vaping

Options
  • 07-01-2016 3:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭

Right I have to give up the cigs was looking into getting an ecig.

There's a vendor shop in town going down tomorrow just wondering what to ask for. Smoker for 14 years 20 Benson a day.

Just a few questions I have.

I've heard of people getting sore throat and dry mouth from Vaping. Is this common? Does the quality of liquid used help this.

Do ex smokers feel the health benefits switching to Vaping and how long before you did.?

The aim is to give up completely but I do suffer extreme anxiety and the first thing I go for is a cig. Do you gradually reduce the nicotine?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Don Imac2

You have come to the right place. I started 'vaping' several months ago and this site was great for a total ignoramus like me. I also smoked 2o B&H per day. I was highly resistant to going down this path and it was finance that moved me in the end as I really do enjoy a cigarette.

Ask your vendor for a basic starter kit and do not spend loads of money. I started on an iStick 40watt (that's the battery) and a GS Tank (the tank is for your e-juice and the coil).

I kept on smoking while I was starting to vape. It's a good idea to do this as vaping is different to smoking and does take time to get used to. After a week or two the fags were not being bought anymore. That was after 25 years of smoking and the best thing was that it was not stressful.

E-liquid is made from Vegetable Glyerine (VG) and/or PG. Some people are intolerant to PG which can make your throat dry and make you cough. I use a 50vg/50pg mix and have had no coughs. You will have to try it to know for yourself.

You can get e-liquid that is flavoured or unflavoured. Unflavoured is known as 'base'. I gave up on the flavours as I found them too sweet.

I use 18mg of nicotine in the juice and you can specify whatever strength you want. I started on 24mg for a few weeks but I now think 18mg would have done. Do not worry about lowering your nicotine content for now.

I don't feel particularly healthier but not having to go outside in winter for a smoke is great. Of course, financially it's a no-brainer.

Give it a go and do it slowly but surely. Best of luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Malcolm600f

I started e-cigs nearly 2 yrs ago and gave up smoking no issue ,,
    Have kicked the e-cig on the head this week..
    Health wise apart from becoming a fat ****** from all the extra eating , i find i can breath alot easier and can taste food again..
    I stuck to tobacco flavor as despite smoking some strange stuff in my time I never smoked blueberrys or watermelons..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭dball

20 a day is about €70 a week, I suggest you have nothing to lose by investing a weeks cigarette money into it and give it a good go.

I was a heavy smoker also 2.5 yrs ago and have only ever had a drag on 1 cigarette in this time.
    From day 1 i was happy with my vape - its very important to get something you enjoy - probably a tobacco flavour to start with but you might choose the sweet/dessert or menthol types after a few days or weeks.

Best of luck with you decision and go4it

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭RIchieNouveau

La.de.da wrote: »

There's a vendor shop in town going down tomorrow just wondering what to ask for. Smoker for 14 years 20 Benson a day.

I've heard of people getting sore throat and dry mouth from Vaping. Is this common? Does the quality of liquid used help this.

Do ex smokers feel the health benefits switching to Vaping and how long before you did.?

The aim is to give up completely but I do suffer extreme anxiety and the first thing I go for is a cig. Do you gradually reduce the nicotine?

Thanks in advance.

What town and what shop? Somebody will probably be able to tell you if they're good or not. In the early days you're very susceptible to be sold overpriced tat and that does damage your chances of getting off the cigs quickly so I'd always recommend you ask on here or another group before buying from a place.

I've never had a problem with sore throat or mouth. It's apparently due to intolerance due to PG or VG, which is a bit of a PITA but not too hard to find the cause and make the necessary changes. Don't worry about that too much for now because you'll need to start vaping before you find out if it will be a problem for you. Come back if it is and you'll get a lot of helpful people who'll help you identify the problem. Some people get a sore mouth including ulcers simply from stopping smoking, I was lucky enough not to. Unfortunately, there's no way around that one if you're affected but it will be worth it in the long run. COPD will be much worse than a sore mouth! Is the mantra I'd repeat if that affected me.

I didn't wake up the next morning a new person or anything, but I was able to run for busses without wheezing for 20 minutes afterwards within a few weeks of starting vaping.

I stopped smoking cigs entirely after starting vaping with only 2 drunken relapses where I smoked a few drags of a rollie before flicking it away and realising that I don't even like smoking anymore. I also get bad anxiety and used to smoke through it. It's likely the nicotine that is the most "beneficial" thing for anxiety in a cigarette so vaping should satisfy both your nicotine craving and you'll receive the therapeutic effect of nicotine on your anxiety. I'd personally start on 18mg nicotine liquid. Wth your 20 a day habit you may be able to start on 12 but it's my personal opinion that it's better to start on 18mg to ensure that you won't have cravings. Easy to step down the levels when you're ready, IMO. I had no withdrawal symptoms from stopping smoking and I had no cravings. I don't consider the 2 drunken rollies to have been the result of cravings really, more jealousy because everyone was smoking my formerly beloved Amber Leaf.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Ah thanks a lot for your informative replies.

I really really don't want to smoke anymore it's the anxiety of not having a crutch so to speak that frightens me so Vaping it will be.

Going down to the shop tomorrow (Carrick on suir) and gonna get started.

I'm sure I'll be reporting back. Here's hoping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Ah thanks a lot for your informative replies.

I really really don't want to smoke anymore it's the anxiety of not having a crutch so to speak that frightens me so Vaping it will be.

I'm sure I'll be reporting back. Here's hoping.

You've already taken the hardest step. The rest will be relatively easy once you're committed. For the first few weeks just Vape your way through the cravings, they will pass. I would also advise to get something better than one of the pen style devices that are often sold as starter kits. I would recommend something like a nautilus mini (tank) coupled with an istick 30w (battery) to begin with. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

IMO, the best manufactures of e cigs and certainly the liquid is, Totally Wicked.
    I tried many many diff brands of liquid and the Totally wicked range came out best for me, their Virginia in the "Titan fluid range" is the closest to tobacco I could find! I've saved a mint since switching to e ciggys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Thanks in advance.

As mentioned above,the istick 30w http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mods/539-30w-eleaf-istick-full-kit.html and a mini Nautilus http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/aspire-clearomizers/470-aspire-nautilus-mini.html is the best starter kit for anyone who is new to vaping.
    Just be careful when buying from some shops & Supermarket stalls,they only want your money & their goods are crap,I don't know the shop in Carrick,maybe they are good or maybe bad,do you have a website address for them,we can check them out.
    Keep away from ciggy type ecigs,most of them are schit,everyone have different taste buds when it comes to eliquid,as above,somebody loves Wicked juice,I hate it,tasting juice can only be done by you.
    You will never find a similar taste to fags,does not exist,you may like some tobacco flavours or you might like fruity or menthol flavours or you might like them all mixed together in one liquid.

Here is 2 videos showing the istick 30w & the Nautilus Mini....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AajxO1l34A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCLeVVkxsj0

YouTube is your best friend for Vaping...

You are not too far away from me,I am in Dungarvan,if you want to try some vaping before you buy,just give me a shout on here & I'll send you my number & address.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

Steve012 wrote: »
    IMO, the best manufactures of e cigs and certainly the liquid is, Totally Wicked.
    I tried many many diff brands of liquid and the Totally wicked range came out best for me, their Virginia in the "Titan fluid range" is the closest to tobacco I could find! I've saved a mint since switching to e ciggys.

Totally Wicked have the worst selection of ecigs and juices. Utter rubbish! Their kits are re-branded 3 year old technology. I always cringe whenever I come across one of their shops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

Didn't know there was a vape shop in Carrick. Whereabouts is it?

How did you get on?

In my opinion the most important thing is the battery anyway. You want something that will last you the whole day. You don't want to be stuck up the Comeraghs with nothing to vape on, you'll only go to the shop and buy 20 Benson.

You also generally want to be wary of anything that has "Sub" in the name. "Sub Ohm" ecigs are for a more advanced type of vaping.

As another user has mentioned, go for the Nautilus Mini and an iStick battery (30w or 40w - whatever they have).

Just be careful with the wattage. You'll notice that you can dial up the wattage on the device. Don't go too high (try and stay around 7-10watts for a start) or you'll burn the coil. Once you burn it, it will taste like arse forever and you'll have to replace the coil (only €2 or €3, not the end of the world.)

My last piece of advice to you - you will never ever find a juice that tastes like benson, or any cigarette. There is no way to replicate the taste of burnt ash & soot particles getting stuck to your throat and lungs. We've all tried for years to get that flavour, it's not possible. Give up now!

I vape unflavoured now. Much less hassle, and much cheaper. You still have the nicotine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

28srf0c wrote: »
    Totally Wicked have the worst selection of ecigs and juices. Utter rubbish! Their kits are re-branded 3 year old technology. I always cringe whenever I come across one of their shops.

Stores? where in the UK, they only have one here as far as I know.
    I am going on the fact I have tried liquids from the states, china, Europe, all top brands, but Totally Wicked did the trick for me. "Utter rubbish" that's your opinion, but not the opinion of many, and people who have been vaping for years.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

Wicked and totally wicked are different. Wicked has green writing on the logo, totally wicked is the brand with the devil logo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Dr Bill

I've heard of people getting sore throat and dry mouth from Vaping. Is this common? Does the quality of liquid used help this. .

Vaping can cause dehydration so it's important to drink lots of water,always try to get the best liquid you can,it's much more enjoyable. Online stores like esmokeireland have a good selection of good quality juice,order early and it's delivered next day.
    Good luck on the road to giving up the cigarettes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

EGriff wrote: »
    Wicked and totally wicked are different. Wicked has green writing on the logo, totally wicked is the brand with the devil logo.

And both of them are ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Steve012 wrote: »
    Stores? where in the UK, they only have one here as far as I know.
    I am going on the fact I have tried liquids from the states, china, Europe, all top brands, but Totally Wicked did the trick for me. "Utter rubbish" that's your opinion, but not the opinion of many, and people who have been vaping for years.. :rolleyes:

I have a feeling he may be thinking of Wicked (healthier choice), unless he's in the UK.

Totally Wicked DO 're-brand and up prices though, such as the istick, which they call a Curve. Juices are fine though. I've had a few and they do the job, but I wouldn't think of them as anything other than decent cheap juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭FunGoose

As mentioned above,the istick 30w http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mods/539-30w-eleaf-istick-full-kit.html and a mini Nautilus http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/aspire-clearomizers/470-aspire-nautilus-mini.html is the best starter kit for anyone who is new to vaping.
    Just be careful when buying from some shops & Supermarket stalls,they only want your money & their goods are crap,I don't know the shop in Carrick,maybe they are good or maybe bad,do you have a website address for them,we can check them out.
    Keep away from ciggy type ecigs,most of them are schit,everyone have different taste buds when it comes to eliquid,as above,somebody loves Wicked juice,I hate it,tasting juice can only be done by you.
    You will never find a similar taste to fags,does not exist,you may like some tobacco flavours or you might like fruity or menthol flavours or you might like them all mixed together in one liquid.

Here is 2 videos showing the istick 30w & the Nautilus Mini....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AajxO1l34A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCLeVVkxsj0

YouTube is your best friend for Vaping...

You are not too far away from me,I am in Dungarvan,if you want to try some vaping before you buy,just give me a shout on here & I'll send you my number & address.

Do you know if the Aspire Nautilus BVC is any good?
    http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/nautilus.htm

Do I also need to buy a kit with this?
    Sorry, new to all this. I need to quit the cigs forever and I don't want to ask advice in a shop.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

FunGoose wrote: »

Sorry, new to all this. I need to quit the cigs forever and I don't want to ask advice in a shop.

Thanks

They're great tanks (a tank is the part you put liquid in). I'm using one right now!

You need a kit though. that's just the part you put liquid in. You'll need a battery to heat the liquid so you can inhale it.

Why wouldn't you ask advice in a shop? I work in a Vaping shop and I LOVE when people come on to ask how they work and what they need, because it means I can teach them the best way to use their set up and can recommend a good one.

Any good vaping shop staff will be very happy to explain how it all works :)

Patww79 wrote: »
    I had awful bother with setups until I was advised here to get the GS Air and iStick 30W (Don't get the 40W). It's great and have never had a bother.
    I'm not sure whether it's my juice or frequency of usage but I've not seen any health benefits in the past months since I stopped smoking again though.

It depends on the person really. I know some people who haven't seen any health benefits, but they were pretty healthy even when they smoked!

For me, I've noticed benefits. I was a very heavy smoker (40 most days), and I had bronchitis about every 6-8 weeks before I quit smoking. In the 14 months since, I haven't even had a cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭Dr Bill

Thanks

The Nautilus has been probably the favourite starter tank by far and works very well when paired with a good mod(battery),maybe something like this
    http://www.thebestshop.eu/shop/vv-mods/612-40w-innokin-cool-fire-iv-express-kit.html
    There is a huge selection of both tanks and batteries to choose from nowadays and both esmokeireland and thebestshop are excellent online vendors.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Patww79 wrote: »
    My pocket is seeing it and that's the main thing!

I've definitely noticed that! I haven't saved or anything but I used to be borrowing money the day after payday. now, I can buy myself things each week, give the mammy money to help her out, and always have money left before payday.

I started saving just after Christmas because himself paid for a holiday for us, and since December 29th, I've saved €350 without missing it, and I'm a low earner!

They're great tanks (a tank is the part you put liquid in). I'm using one right now!

You need a kit though. that's just the part you put liquid in. You'll need a battery to heat the liquid so you can inhale it.

Why wouldn't you ask advice in a shop? I work in a Vaping shop and I LOVE when people come on to ask how they work and what they need, because it means I can teach them the best way to use their set up and can recommend a good one.

Any good vaping shop staff will be very happy to explain how it all works :)

Thanks for the reply. So I get a kit and then do I inhale from the tank? I'll need a kit compatible with the Aspire Nautilus BVC I presume?

You are obviously good vaping shop staff, not everyone is though, as in all types of retail. I bought an e-cigarette a couple of years ago which was pure crap. Maybe that was partly my fault though as I didn't do any research, and I bought it from a shopping center stall.

Would you recommend the Aspire Nautilus BVC? There are just too many options!

Thanks for the reply. So I get a kit and then do I inhale from the tank? I'll need a kit compatible with the Aspire Nautilus BVC I presume?

You are obviously good vaping shop staff, not everyone is though, as in all types of retail. I bought an e-cigarette a couple of years ago which was pure crap. Maybe that was partly my fault though as I didn't do any research, and I bought it from a shopping center stall.

Would you recommend the Aspire Nautilus BVC? There are just too many options!

Basically when you get a full kit, the tank (like the nautilus) has a mouthpiece on it (skinny metal part at the top). You will hold a button on your battery, while inhaling from that mouthpiece. The liquid in the tank will heat up and you'll inhale vapour with nicotine in it, which will give you a throat hit.

Where are you based? We can all recommend good shops where staff are brilliant and know their stuff and will be happy to help :)

I'd definitely recommend the Nautilus! I've been off smokes over a year and still use mine every day :)

Basically when you get a full kit, the tank (like the nautilus) has a mouthpiece on it (skinny metal part at the top). You will hold a button on your battery, while inhaling from that mouthpiece. The liquid in the tank will heat up and you'll inhale vapour with nicotine in it, which will give you a throat hit.

Where are you based? We can all recommend good shops where staff are brilliant and know their stuff and will be happy to help :)

I'd definitely recommend the Nautilus! I've been off smokes over a year and still use mine every day :)

Thanks again for your help and great explanations. I'm based in Finglas. I was looking at the E-Smokeireland shop in Palmerstown as I am often in the area and it would be no hassle for me to buy there. Unless you would like me to buy from your shop? :-)

Thanks again for your help and great explanations. I'm based in Finglas. I was looking at the E-Smokeireland shop in Palmerstown as I am often in the area and it would be no hassle for me to buy there. Unless you would like me to buy from your shop? :-)

Haha, no please don't buy from mine! I only post here to offer advice or talk about vaping, not to drum up business!

ESI are brilliant and all of their staff vape, know their stuff and are renowned for being helpful and friendly. they're well worth dropping into. The staff will never make you feel silly for not knowing much about vaping :)

Haha, no please don't buy from mine! I only post here to offer advice or talk about vaping, not to drum up business!

ESI are brilliant and all of their staff vape, know their stuff and are renowned for being helpful and friendly. they're well worth dropping into. The staff will never make you feel silly for not knowing much about vaping :)

Fair play to you!

That's good to know, I hate trying to buy something I'm clueless about. Not as clueless now though, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

Thanks

That link you put there is no good to you at e-smokeireland it's the wrong Nautilus for you,it holds 5ml of liquid but tends to leak through the air holes,this is the link you want http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/mininautillus.htm it is a Nautilus Mini & holds 3ml of liquid,a far better vape for the beginner,I use 8 of them all the time for the past 2 years when they first came out.
    The istick 30w is ideal for you,can be charged anywhere with a micro usb cable which is supplied in the full kit,you can charge it via a computer,a wall socket which is supplied in the kit & also charge via your cig lighter in the car,so you will never run out of battery.
    Also get a couple of spare coils for the Nautilus http://www.e-smokeireland.eu/product-p/nautilusbvc.htm

We all watch Youtube videos,this is a great way of learning about vaping,there is thousands of videos going back to 2009 when I started vaping.
    Don't forget you e-liquid.
    Already mentioned here,always come back here for advice,we are all here to help you,I'm vaping 6 years & still asking questions:D:D
    Good Luck,nearly forgot,most on-line shops have a code to get 10% off your total.
    Esmokeireland code is "boards" & Bestshop code is "irishvape" to get you started.Online is always cheaper than shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

My full size nautilius has never leaked. The mini looks pure wonky on a 30W iStick too since it's designed for 22mm tanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭bd2012

Gotta say my 3 full size nautys never leaked either. Having said that my sis (who I've given my old tanks to, both full size and mini nautys) prefers the draw in the mini. Your best bet op is to get into esmokeireland and try them on for size so to speak. I'd also recommend the istick 30w battery to go with whatever tank you choose.
    Sorted my sister out with that same setup, 7 months later she hasn't smoked one cigarette since.

Advertisement