Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

do you put the main lights on at home when its Dark?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

I wonder how many people eyes are wrecked from eye-strain from having insufficient lit room whilst watching TV or reading, or going on laptop or looking at phone in dark room

I wonder how many people eyes are wrecked from eye-strain from having insufficient lit room whilst watching TV or reading, or going on laptop or looking at phone in dark room

Don't think it strains your eyes at all to be honest. I mostly watch tv in the dark or dimly lit room, always use the phone and laptop in the dark etc and my eye sight is as good now as ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Only when cooking/eating or going to the toilet....i love the dark when watching TV....often just sit beside the fire it in the dark reading news on the phone in the dark :)

(For this reason alone I do like winter)

People who need to light up every light possible when watching TV amaze me....I find it stressful as fcuk

Was always told that lighting puts a glare on the TV and causes you to strain your eyes??

Though if this applies to flat screens...I don't know

Don't think it strains your eyes at all to be honest. I mostly watch tv in the dark or dimly lit room, always use the phone and laptop in the dark etc and my eye sight is as good now as ever.

eyes never feel sore , blurred, water up, achy, headache???

• Advertisement

eyes never feel sore , blurred, water up, achy, headache???

As someone who deos also watch in the dark....my eyes are 20/20 as of last April....their literally the only good thing about my body

Though I do get horrendous headaches leading to nosebleeds etc if I'm stressed out for extended periods....not linked to reading in the dark?

Was always told that lighting puts a glare on the TV and causes you to strain your eyes??

Though if this applies to flat screens...I don't know

naw, its the glare from the TV screen itself (flat lcd or tube type) is bad for your eyes - if your in a good lit room your pupils adjust and causes a lot less damage to the eyes...

naw, its the glare from the TV screen itself (flat lcd or tube type) is bad for your eyes - if your in a good lit room your pupils adjust and causes a lot less damage to the eyes...

So the light doesn't reflect off the glass screen??

There's a reason cars are hard to drive/consentrate at nighttime if you've the Interior light on...or a car is behind you with the full lights on???

So the light doesn't reflect off the glass screen??

There's a reason cars are hard to drive/consentrate at nighttime if you've the Interior light on...or a car is behind you with the full lights on???

I think they are a distraction rather than a glare (unless the eejit has his main beams on and then blind you because its reflecting straight off the rear view mirror straight into your eyes) Tv & computer screens flicker at around 50 / 60 times for second i think it is, again thats really bad for your eyes (and most probably brain!) if your looking at them in poor light

I think they are a distraction rather than a glare (unless the eejit has his main beams on and then blind you because its reflecting straight off the rear view mirror straight into your eyes) Tv & computer screens flicker at around 50 / 60 times for second i think it is, again thats really bad for your eyes (and most probably brain!) if your looking at them in poor light
    Maybe new....but I've a CRT TV and being honest I know I should change it...but I don't bother....

It is a glare off the window....I find hard to see the road with people and full lights behind me (do ya drive :pac: )

.it's just me I prefer to watch it in the dark and find I strain my eyes more to watch it with the light on....
    (Though quite why the cinemas are in the dark though???)

there's no better way to relax/unwind after dealing with the world/people all day than to sit in the dark and silence with a cup of tea

(and I'll admit I miss the fags for the same time in the dark shoes & socks off in front of the fire in the dark)

• Advertisement

Maybe new....but I've a CRT TV and being honest I know I should change it...but I don't bother....

It is a glare off the window....I find hard to see the road with people and full lights behind me (do ya drive :pac: )

.it's just me I prefer to watch it in the dark and find I strain my eyes more to watch it with the light on....
    (Though quite why the cinemas are in the dark though???)

there's no better way to relax/unwind after dealing with the world/people all day than to sit in the dark and silence with a cup of tea

(and I'll admit I miss the fags for the same time in the dark shoes & socks off in front of the fire in the dark)

i dunno, maybe your eyes have adjusted then, very good point about the cinema being in the dark, most probably adds to the excitement of the film what you are watching but do you ever come out of the cinema feeling really tired and wrecked and ready for bed even if its been an action film you have been seeing? - i know it does that to me

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I'm one of these people that always likes a bright light on in the room. Even if I'm watching tv. I'm in the living room now with the laptop and the light and a lamp is on. My boyfriend is in the kitchen watching a film on his computer and it's pitch dark in there. He hates lights on, I don't get it..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

I just carry a candle from room to room and listen to the wireless.."Mr Sandman bring me a dream!.."

Lia_lia wrote: »
    I'm one of these people that always likes a bright light on in the room. Even if I'm watching tv. I'm in the living room now with the laptop and the light and a lamp is on. My boyfriend is in the kitchen watching a film on his computer and it's pitch dark in there. He hates lights on, I don't get it..

I am the same, very rarely do i watch TV in a dark or pitch black room - but the rest of the family would have the light off , they say its more cosy. I reckon if I watched TV in the dark i would nod off in around 10 minutes makes me feel tired ... mind u I am getting on a bit lol

I just carry a candle from room to room and listen to the wireless.."Mr Sandman bring me a dream!.."

candles are so 1814 ... :D - electricity and bulbs have been invented since then .. you do know that ? :)

Has anyone on here ever tried those SAD light boxes yokes you get from the chemists? - if so do they work?

• Site Banned Posts: 137 ✭✭MaryAntoinette

Has anyone on here ever tried those SAD light boxes yokes you get from the chemists? - if so do they work?

Yes they work when you plug them in, pity they dont work on batteries be more versatile then.

Yes they work when you plug them in, pity they dont work on batteries be more versatile then.

Do they work in the way they are supposed to ie - do they relieve seasonal/winter depression?

They should make ones that run off batteries, thought I have seen portable ones before that run off batteries, pretty sure

candles are so 1814 ... :D - electricity and bulbs have been invented since then .. you do know that ? :)

You know watt, you may laugh now but when the whole esb goes down and everybody's powerless and so have to light candles, then you'll see... Plus think of the savings I'll make, worth every scent!

• Advertisement

You know watt, you may laugh now but when the whole esb goes down and everybody's powerless and so have to light candles, then you'll see... Plus think of the savings I'll make, worth every scent!

Ive got a few battery powered LED torches here now, I would never go back to candles. these LED torches are brilliant and last ages on a charge or new set of batteries. I cannot even remember the last time I used a candle!

I cannot even remember the last time I used a candle!

Have you ever been romantic with your wife and used candles to set the mood?

Ive got a few battery powered LED torches here now, I would never go back to candles. these LED torches are brilliant and last ages on a charge or new set of batteries. I cannot even remember the last time I used a candle!

Sounds like witchcraft to me... Torch him!

Have you ever been romantic with your wife and used candles to set the mood?

Ah yes, never have I ever, Victorian style.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 820 ✭✭✭BunkMoreland

Is everyone just pretending to know what a SAD light is not to appear stupid or am I just as thick as ****?

Is everyone just pretending to know what a SAD light is not to appear stupid or am I just as thick as ****?

Most have the google to google what a sad light is.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

You are sadly mistaken if you think an ordinary bulb will give the same benefit as a SAD light, for those who need them. Ordinary lights are white light. Sunlight is not white and neither are SAD lights, as they are made up of the full spectrum.

Personally, unless I'm reading, I prefer dimmed lights.

Almost right! But I think you have your definition of white light mixed up. White light is a term used for light that is a mixture of all wavelengths in the visible range. i.e. full [visible] spectrum light.

Sunlight is white light and so are the old incandescent light bulbs, candles etc. Think of prisms, rainbows, etc. They split white light into its components and display the full visible spectrum.

Most fluorescent lighting that is commonly used in homes is not white light. I guess you could say that they approximate a white light. If memory serves me correctly, it has notable large peaks in specific red, green and violet wavelenths.

As for SAD lights. Most of them are (or were) white lights. They are fluorescent full [visible] spectrum lighting made to mimic natural sun light. There are SAD lights that use specific blue or green wavelengths. They aren't white lights and the therapeutic benefits come from using wavelengths of light that affect hormones the most (blue light supresses melatonin secretion most powerfully).

Well, whats in one of these expensive SAD Light boxes you get from Chemist to help deal with depression in the winter? - its just a Light! - it is clinically proved they work
    Full-spectrum lighting of 10,000 lux at a given distance.

It's not the same thing and your CFL won't cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

It depends on my mood.if I am reading i put on the main light ,or lamps.If I am having a special dinner ,usually candles .
    But my favourite is oil lamps.I bought about 4 over the years and usually put them on when the rain is banging on the windows and the coal fire is lit.
    Nothing beats that imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I love bright lights too, my home often feels too dark, I'd have SAD lights everywhere if I could. I've a SAD light in my home office (aka spare room). Whenever I have to work at home, it really helps, and I mean really ! Love the light from it, makes me more energetic. I'm not depressed so can't really say if it might help, but my mood does improve when using it. I hate the lack of light in winter, and I hate eating places that are hardly lit, like pubs. Fine for a drink, not for food during the day !

• Advertisement

Peregrine wrote: »

Full-spectrum lighting at 10,000 lux.

It's not the same thing and your CFL won't cut it.

so 10,000 lux =925 lumens = a 16wcfl @ around 6300k colour temperature wouldnt that work the same

Advertisement