Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Mad Stuff] The Spine Race

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭Enduro

I posted this in the A/R forum, but should probably post it here too....

I'm writing a fairly detailed race report, which is broken into installments. It's taking longer than the race itself I'll probably write seperate follow-on reports on nutrition and gear (Having the right gear is my cold-adaptation!).

The first part is here, and the rest follow or will follow!

And in case anyone is interested, I'll be giving a talk on my Spine race experiences at the Great Outdoors (one of my gear sponsors) this Tuesday at 7pm. There's a 5 euro charge to attend, 100% of which will be donated to the Dublin/Wicklow Mountain Rescue Team. Places can be booked here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

I hope you don't mind Enduro but I'm just gonna pop this here: http://adventureraceworld.podomatic.com/entry/2016-01-23T22_00_01-08_00

A great interview Enduro did with Randy Ericksen, very honest and insightful :) Well worth a listen.

I hope you don't mind Enduro but I'm just gonna pop this here: http://adventureraceworld.podomatic.com/entry/2016-01-23T22_00_01-08_00

A great interview Enduro did with Randy Ericksen, very honest and insightful :) Well worth a listen.

Neady83 wrote: »

I don't mind at all! There should be another one on talk Ultra when the next episode is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Some dot watching for anyone interested. http://live.thespinerace.com/spinerace17/

Enduro is back defending his title and course record at the Montane Spine Race which kicks off on 14th January.

The start of this race always seems to coincide with a change in the weather and conditions seem to be on par with previous years with snow, ice, storms all lining up to add to the challenge.

Seems to be a few filling the Irish field with Carol Morgan, Pat Rodgers and Brian Harman all taking part and in the Challenger field starting 15th Jan - Alan Foley & Sean Mason.

• Advertisement

I love the self belief the Americans are coming with http://www.parkrecord.com/sports/local-runners-go-across-the-pond-for-new-adventure/

It will make it an interesting race where Canice Harte will (I think) push Eoin & Pavel. It will get tactical as the two boys are uber familliar with the route and the conditions so will Canice sit on shoulders for the first 3/4 or will he go from the gun hoping to outrace the boys? Will the boys let him sit there and plan to outsmart or 'undersleep' to get the jump?

There was a similar tactical race last year or was that 2015 where Pavel was shadowed for the race until the final bit where he dropped the guy.

Gonna be a good one!

Most people have missed the most interesting challenger this year! My own thoughts on contenders here. It going to be "interesting"!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Already looking forward to the race report. Best of luck enduro

Currently the same three amigos at the front Pavel, Eoin & Eugeni - same arrangement as last year. Eoin seems 'content' trotting along at the back of the pack, still a LONG way to go only 38 miles into 268.

Carol Morgan is leading the ladies race by a couple of miles and is running in a small group at CP1 with Johan Steene who Eoin has marked as a threat this year.

Unfortunately Canice Harte is a retirement after 17 miles - no word as to cause.

While plugging away steadily Eoin has let the others move on in front of him. Quite likely confident that tiredness will catch up and he'll slip on by late in the race.

There was a 30 min penalty for Pavel & Eugeni due to an aberration off the course which they have opted to serve later - must check, I'm presuming they are not allowed benefit from it as extra sleep.

A video today showed Eoin in an uncharacteristic (as much as I know him) downbeat frame of mind - its rare he doesn't muster a smile - but here's hoping thats a passing wave that he'll bounce back through. Doing mighty!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

sconhome wrote: »
    While plugging away steadily Eoin has let the others move on in front of him. Quite likely confident that tiredness will catch up and he'll slip on by late in the race.

There was a 30 min penalty for Pavel & Eugeni due to an aberration off the course which they have opted to serve later - must check, I'm presuming they are not allowed benefit from it as extra sleep.

A video today showed Eoin in an uncharacteristic (as much as I know him) downbeat frame of mind - its rare he doesn't muster a smile - but here's hoping thats a passing wave that he'll bounce back through. Doing mighty!

newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

Back smiling it seems.

Photo of him beside a bottle of Fanta, must have been for someone else :D

ford2600 wrote: »
    newattachment.php?do=manageattach&p=

Back smiling it seems.

Photo of him beside a bottle of Fanta, must have been for someone else :D

Apparently that Fanta was from a volunteer who remembered how polite Eoin was last year and just gave it to him :)

Here's where the penalty was gained:
    406594.png

Pavel & Eugeni took the blue line to the North on the roads bypassing a section of the Way. They are being held to serve the penalty after one of their transitions. So once they are fed and rested, ready to go again they will be held so there is no gain from extra sleep etc.

Not sure that 30 mins is enough to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Keeks

A video today showed Eoin in an uncharacteristic (as much as I know him) downbeat frame of mind -

I am finding this race fascinating....mad...but fascinating.

Looking through some of the Facebook images, I can't but suspect that he have had a fall or picked up some sort of injury....Hopefully not.

15972639_1291128137641545_8442875181530500093_o.jpg?oh=f5b626183b8d2a2f4506cf046d8cd020&oe=591CEB10

16112908_1291128390974853_3840849731921862114_o.jpg?oh=4e4ddc29c385890a406a6b2de7d37eab&oe=5923C60B

Hands are battered by the trekking poles, continually wet & chaffed.

Feet like that are normal, in fact he has all his toenails still & no blisters so pretty good shape all things considered!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Irish girl Carol Morgan doing great, 12 mile lead, resting in CP2 at moment but she was gaining ground all day, great going.

Bulmers wrote: »
    Irish girl Carol Morgan doing great, 12 mile lead, resting in CP2 at moment but she was gaining ground all day, great going.

She's flying!!

Eoin has now closed the gap right down to 4 miles. The two boys have penalties served (seems Eugeni served, awaiting confirmation) so very much game on as he chases them down.

Pat & Brian still going strong and seem close together with a large group.

Compulsive dot watching at the front as strategy and sleep deprived tactics unfold. Inspiring watching the mid to back of pack.

Bulmers wrote: »

Yip...flying alright......25K lead in the womans races and in the top 10 overall...some going.

Eoin has now closed the gap right down to 4 miles.

Not so sure about this....where Pavel and Eugeni are at the moment seems to be a tracker blackspot. When i look at it earlier this morning I could see that Pavels time or position was not updating and I just see that he is back there miles ahead...i make it over 10miles anyway

I could be wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭joey100

Any desire to do the race yourself Scon???

joey100 wrote: »
    Any desire to do the race yourself Scon???

**fingers in ears**

It would be an amazing challenge. Following it the past couple of years and I've gone from "those nutcases" to "what training would I do?"

:D:D

Keeks wrote: »
    Not so sure about this....where Pavel and Eugeni are at the moment seems to be a tracker blackspot. When i look at tit earlier this morning I could see that Pavels time or position was not updating and I just see that he is back there miles ahead...i make it over 10miles anyway

I could be wrong...

Nope you're spot on.

• Advertisement

Update for anyone tracking this afternoon, from the MOntane facebook page:
    Don't be deceived about the gap between Eugeni Roselló Solé (ESP, second) and Columbia Sportswear's Eoin Keith (IRL, third). Keith is going through a notorious tracking blackspot and is likely much closer. #spinerace #britainsmostbrutal

16115023_1291767484244277_5677664804234102584_n.png?oh=97c0d964ddd418b5759e273a93ed8655&oe=59165932

Eoin is #1 and the '!' indicated that the tracker is not moving / updated.

To quote FB

"@montaneuk Spine Race course record holder and @Columbia1938 athlete Eoin Keith told us an early fall, where robust GPS unit met chest, may be the cause of why he's feeling slightly below par. To be performing this strongly, while suffering unexpectedly early, is a tribute to the man."

He's some man to be performing like this with an injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Time gap between Eoin and the leader was about 4h30m at the most recent checkpoint in Dufton.
    Probably less than 40hrs left to the finish at the current pace (course record)
    Excluding injury to the 2 leaders, the only way I see this gap being closed is by taking less rest/sleep.

Fantastic effort by all 3 to this point.
    Awaiting developments with bated breath...

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

22:50 Pavel on the move, looks like Eugeni ready to go too.
    Eoin about 7 km from the checkpoint with Hollins on his heels- probably about 1 hour deficit at this point.

Didn't realise Hollins has his own vehicular support which he is sleeping in at CPs.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

22:50 Pavel on the move, looks like Eugeni ready to go too.
    Eoin about 7 km from the checkpoint with Hollins on his heels- probably about 1 hour deficit at this point.

Didn't realise Hollins has his own vehicular support which he is sleeping in at CPs.

The support vehicle baffles me. I would expect he is unranked.

Paved seems on a mission. I expected him to need a solid sleep which would allow Eoin back into it. EugenI is on same sleep as Eoin so in best position right now.

Savage racing from Carol. Putting her stamp all over the ladies race.

What the support vehicle is allowed to do...still not sure how much of an advantage it is.

Carol also seems to be supported.
    You are allowed a support team if you choose. Support teams should not access the course
    but use the many road crossings on the route. They are able to move your drop bag for you.
    Your support team can offer resupply, medical support and assist other athletes at their
    discretion. You can use your support vehicle to sleep in, if you wish.
    You must complete the course on foot with no assistance from vehicles of any kind for
    transportation.

Looks like Eugeni is trying to put a gap between himself and Pavel....or at least put him under pressure when he has less rest

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I guess the vehicle is a camper van? So they can cook food/have somewhere consistent to sleep (if they chose to)

that would make sense....the support personnel would also need somewhere to sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

looks like Eoin had retired unfortunately, great going to take this on again,it's just a crazy race, no doubt he will be back again.

• Advertisement

that a pity.....hopefully nothing serious has happened.
    that fall early on must have final put paid to his adventure......especially when trying to chase down the front two

good show all the same... much better man than me

Advertisement