Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting back in the gym

Options
  • 06-01-2016 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

So I'm planning on starting back in the gym today after work. I used to go 5 days a week for about a year but got lazy and haven't gone regularly in about a year and a half. I get bored easily and I'm looking to go in and do snappy sets and go home. I'm looking to go about 3-4 days a week and concentrate on doing full body workout with a small bit extra for my chest.

I'm going to do bench, dumbbell bench, flys, push ups, squats, pull ups, core and 15 mins spinning at the end.

Just looking for advice on a few more exercises I could do that would work a lot of different muscles. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

I'd add the Deadlift for a start - Probably if not the best all round exercise for working muscles, with proper form you should be working you legs , shoulders , arms...it's a great lift.

Few more would be...

* Bent over rows (Back)
    * Bent over rows Underhand (Triceps,back)
    * Full dips (Triceps, Chest)
    * Drop sets (I find drop sets great for draining that last bit out of you , noticed a differance after a few weeks of doing these at the end of a set)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,561 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

hefferboi wrote: »
    So I'm planning on starting back in the gym today after work. I used to go 5 days a week for about a year but got lazy and haven't gone regularly in about a year and a half. I get bored easily and I'm looking to go in and do snappy sets and go home. I'm looking to go about 3-4 days a week and concentrate on doing full body workout with a small bit extra for my chest.

I'm going to do bench, dumbbell bench, flys, push ups, squats, pull ups, core and 15 mins spinning at the end.

Just looking for advice on a few more exercises I could do that would work a lot of different muscles. Thanks.

Are you planning on doing those exercises 3-4 times a week?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Start with Stronglifts 5x5. Google it.

Its a full body workout 3 days a week. It will start off pretty easy but will get very difficult very quickly. You only concentrate on compound lifts. The main thing it teaches you - which is vital for weightlifting - is linear progression. That is constantly upping the weight on the big compound lifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭granty1987

Irishcrx wrote: »
    I'd add the Deadlift for a start - Probably if not the best all round exercise for working muscles, with proper form you should be working you legs , shoulders , arms...it's a great lift.

Few more would be...

* Bent over rows (Back)
    * Bent over rows Underhand (Triceps,back)
    * Full dips (Triceps, Chest)
    * Drop sets (I find drop sets great for draining that last bit out of you , noticed a differance after a few weeks of doing these at the end of a set)

Yea i agree with all of the above. need to balance that workload out or else you'll end up with ****e posture from all the push based exercises.

Don't do bench dips as the internally rotated position of your arms will wreck your shoulders so use em parallel dip bars and keep your palms facing each other

Advertisement