Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving schools

Options
  • 05-01-2016 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of researching driving schools in Dublin and just wanted to hear if anyone has recommendations

So far I've narrowed it down to RSA school of motoring (because it seems to be the cheapest) and Airport driving school (because they seem to have an unreal pass rate). I may have missed others though :rolleyes:

Anyway, would really appreciate any input!

Thanks guys :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Airport have an unreal pass rate because they tell you not to do the test or won't give you a vehicle etc if they feel your not ready or want to take more of your money.

Ism should be up there since they are always busy etc. I found them great when doing the coach licence with them.

I chose ism over airport and never looked back passing the coach test first time round where I've heard people have trouble with airport

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Domo40plus

OK just look on RSA website and you'll find loads that are 1/2 the price and just as good. All ADIs have to sit the same standard of exams now and so you are getting the same standard from all schools. That said you may find some of the more experienced ADIs in the Airport driving school or the ISM. But you don't need these unless you have serious problems. Most of the big schools are €50 plus vat. Were the small schools with a single instructor generally are not VAT registered and only charge €30-35 per lesson. Also big schools are tight on the hour, but smaller schools don't mind running over a bit.

A friend

• Registered Users Posts: 20 luluzade

I just stopped using airport driving school, they're good but they wanna get as much money out of you as possible, they drag out the test date, they're quite expensive aswell - 100 for a 2 hour lesson, and I cant afford insurance so I'd need to have 1 lesson a week which is 400 a month which is a bit mental if you're a student, they're good to learn with but I reckon going with a different school once you have learned how to drive is the better option
    I've heard RSA driving school and ISM are good schools

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭donkey balls

I don't think you are allowed to mention schools here,Years ago i did some lessons with ISM and they milked me I ended up switching to a local Finglas school and passed no bother the school starts with a C.
    They did not milk me for lessons and told me when I was ready to apply for the test,I also did my C and EC tests with them again was not milked.
    The company with the big red trucks and buses are known for milking learners sure they have advertisements for both bus & truck drivers for an agency they have,The thing is in order to get work with them you must pay them €90 for some driving assessment.
    Now don't get me wrong a lot of the big transport companies before hiring a driver will have some form of driving assessment but they do not charge the applicant.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭caldew

Small is beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

Domo40plus wrote: »
    OK just look on RSA website and you'll find loads that are 1/2 the price and just as good. All ADIs have to sit the same standard of exams now and so you are getting the same standard from all schools. That said you may find some of the more experienced ADIs in the Airport driving school or the ISM. But you don't need these unless you have serious problems. Most of the big schools are €50 plus vat. Were the small schools with a single instructor generally are not VAT registered and only charge €30-35 per lesson. Also big schools are tight on the hour, but smaller schools don't mind running over a bit.

A friend

I beg to differ regarding a pupil getting the same standard from all instructors.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Jay Pentatonic

Thanks for the info guys.
    I went with RSA. My first lesson was actually today, bloody disaster it was!! The teacher was sound though and I think I'll stick with them. It's practicing between lessons is the hard part for me now, as most of my friends and family don't have a full license :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Hoss Zakermossai

Your Logic about Driving School is informative and I am glad to see that everyone give importance to driving school it is necessary because driving without learning driving is useless and the basic reason for accident in the road Driving School New Westminster is the place which teach you how to control cars on the road while driving or accident

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Inviere

Just to add, ISM have been shocking in my dealing with them (12 lesson pack for family member, bought by me).

First they wanted more money to honour the already purchased voucher, because the price had increased post covid (voucher bought just before covid.) A clear breach of contract of sale there, which I resolved promptly by email. Hassle though, and very cheeky.

Now for the previous two weeks in a row, the instructor has cancelled the scheduled lesson. First time there was plenty of notice, fine. Next time, essentially zero notice.

Asked for an updated schedule to better keep track of things, and sure enough, it's now showing x10 lessons instead of x12, two of them are missing/not happening apparently. More hassle ahead to resolve this.

They're also pushing X6 two hour lessons for the 12 lesson EDT pack, which isn't ideal for All 12 of them.

I can safely say I'll never, ever use ISM again and won't be recommending them to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Make sure you plan for insurance if you have access to a vehicle for practice. We found that we had to go with Aviva for lessons to get their six months insurance offer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement