Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everything You Need To Know About Nutrition In 3 Minutes

Options
  • 05-01-2016 5:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭

I posted a vid to my personal FB last night and it took off pretty well and has 25+ shares and something like 3.5k+ views.

I was honestly surprised at the reaction since it took about 50 takes, an hour, and many many curse words to get it done, and once it was done, I wasn't all that happy with it.

Guess straight to the point no bullsh*t is the new in thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

YouTube are processing the video so it's not available yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

On the YouTube link it's displaying the message: "We're processing the video check back later."

Works now! Patience is not my strong suit.

Very informative, cheers for that.

Great video. Like most people, my diet is my downfall and something that needs to change sooner rather than later!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Good video. One thing I will say though is that with respect to supplements. There's an awful lot to be said for taking vitamin d in winter. I have been taking it consistently this year and reckon it makes a big difference. It is one thing that is difficult to get from food.

I eat very well, just too darn much :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

fits wrote: »
    Good video. One thing I will say though is that with respect to supplements. There's an awful lot to be said for taking vitamin d in winter. I have been taking it consistently this year and reckon it makes a big difference. It is one thing that is difficult to get from food.

I eat very well, just too darn much :(

Truth.

It's what I meant by "unless you've some vitamin or mineral deficiency" :)

Most people hear "supplement" and think "protein-creatine-fatburner" though. It was aimed at the masses, and blanket recommendations tend to work better, even thought the answer is always really 'it depends'!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Hanley wrote: »
    Truth.

It's what I meant by "unless you've some vitamin or mineral deficiency" :)

Most people hear "supplement" and think "protein-creatine-fatburner" though. It was aimed at the masses, and blanket recommendations tend to work better, even thought the answer is always really 'it depends'!

Yeh to be fair you could add this that and the other but it is what it says on the tin, 3 mins of what you essentially need to not be a rotund human bean.

Basically eat stuff that grows and in its most primitive form, add heat, get some semblance of balance on the plate between protein, fat, carbs plus fruit and veg. Easier said than done, obviously; otherwise this video wouldn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Good video short and sweet and too the point. Is it possible to post a link to the 80:10:10 video please.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Good video, but I found myself gasping for breath by the end just from watching it. No idea how you managed to record it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

Didn't disagree with anything. That rarely happens when i watch nutrition vids!

Good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Really good video , pretty much nail on the head in 3 minutes.

Only thing I would say is that while I agree for the majority on your comment with supplements, they can be handy when used correctly and not to replace food.

For myself when I'm training (Strength) and Cardio (Football) maybe 3 times a week each on the same day morning/evening, I need more food/calories, I can't eat that much from food alone , that's just me and my timing but a lot of people are the same. So while I'll take in 4/5 of what I need through food I'll add a Protein shake or two with milk just to make the gap.

However I agree on the whole 'Super mass power gainer' - Crock of crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I love the fact you've condensed probably 90% of proper nutrition down to a 3 minute video. The rest probably needs explaining, but in 3mins you've hit every important point.

One thing I've noticed when explaining proper nutrition to non-lifting friends and family is as soon as they ask, they expect a 30min lecture about it and they stop listening very quickly, so something like this is ideal for someone who has yet to understand proper nutrition and have a reasonably good diet.

Payton wrote: »
    Good video short and sweet and too the point. Is it possible to post a link to the 80:10:10 video please.

Really briefly;

80% of your food from highly nutritious sources (meat / veg / fruit etc) - think of things that'll provide A LOT of vitamin, mineral and macro quality

10% of your food from benign nutritious sources (starchy carbs) - things that don't provide much in the way of nutrients outside of carbs

10% of your is whatever the hell you want.

I stole that one off http://lovettnutrition.ie/ Credit where it's due!

Irishcrx wrote: »
    Really good video , pretty much nail on the head in 3 minutes.

Only thing I would say is that while I agree for the majority on your comment with supplements, they can be handy when used correctly and not to replace food.

For myself when I'm training (Strength) and Cardio (Football) maybe 3 times a week each on the same day morning/evening, I need more food/calories, I can't eat that much from food alone , that's just me and my timing but a lot of people are the same. So while I'll take in 4/5 of what I need through food I'll add a Protein shake or two with milk just to make the gap.

However I agree on the whole 'Super mass power gainer' - Crock of crap.

Yup, agree for sure. But like yourself, most people who know what they're talking about know that supplements are a "...but / unless" sorta thing.

As in "I use them, but... this is why" or "you shouldn't use em unless..."

Like when everything else is locked down I'm all for people lashing whatever supplements they want in for whatever marginal benefit they can get.

But if it's not the last thing you do, then your priorities are all screwed up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

@Hanley you had something very similar up before, you weren't in as much of a rush though! Thanks for putting it up.

You were giving a talk from memory in front of maybe 20 people I was never able to find it. It's really useful when people ask what should I eat?

Like your chin up thread, it's simple; once it's explained. No bull**** is always good.

Although it reminded me of phonecards to my brother and sister when they emigrated to USA in late 80's and phone calls were £1.05/minutes!

Thanks again

ford2600 wrote: »
    @Hanley you had something very similar up before, you weren't in as much of a rush though! Thanks for putting it up.

You were giving a talk from memory in front of maybe 20 people I was never able to find it. It's really useful when people ask what should I eat?

Like your chin up thread, it's simple; once it's explained. No bull**** is always good.

Although it reminded me of phonecards to my brother and sister when they emigrated to USA in late 80's and phone calls were £1.05/minutes!

Thanks again

Thank ya :)

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHJTKOxyt3I&list=PLt7Q7fcvQcmDtSQ2V1c_DqQ6rIkmi9kfO

This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sEmBa79Or0&list=PLt7Q7fcvQcmDUf9IJIz9QOlpBI3SP0wvc

Or this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of0F_e3cFeQ&list=PLt7Q7fcvQcmDIMuVrPSbVg52L5f_PynTJ

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Few people at work gonna be sent this.

I can't listen to them kid themselves about their sort of 5:2 anymore which they use to try and dif themselves out of a bad nutritional hole

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

Zucchine! Ye big Yank ye! lol

Cheers though, sound advice. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Might be a silly question and I already have an idea of what the answer might be.

It's in relation to protein timing but not the usual 'should I take my protein shake before/after/within 30 minutes of working out?'

For example: if I miss my target macros(protein) but hit my target calories for the day (assuming a workout day) and if I add extra protein the following day (replace carbs/fats), will it have the same net effect or will it be less effective?

I'm asking as people often talk about weekly totals when calories are concerned for weight loss/gain but I'm of the opinion that protein seems more important on a day to day basis.

Caliden wrote: »
    Might be a silly question and I already have an idea of what the answer might be.

It's in relation to protein timing but not the usual 'should I take my protein shake before/after/within 30 minutes of working out?'

For example: if I miss my target macros(protein) but hit my target calories for the day (assuming a workout day) and if I add extra protein the following day (replace carbs/fats), will it have the same net effect or will it be less effective?

I'm asking as people often talk about weekly totals when calories are concerned for weight loss/gain but I'm of the opinion that protein seems more important on a day to day basis.

Less effective.

Protein / Carb timing around workouts is important, probably the exception to the rule in the post. BUT if your biggest problem is you missed the "post workout window" and hit the post workout garage.. you're probably doing pretty good already.

You won't agree as much with this one, but remember - it's targeted at beginners :)

I'm really enjoying these short, sharp videos. Have a load of other topics I want to cover but if you've any suggestions, fire em up :)

• Advertisement

Hanley wrote: »
    You won't agree as much with this one, but remember - it's targeted at beginners :)

I'm really enjoying these short, sharp videos. Have a load of other topics I want to cover but if you've any suggestions, fire em up :)

I am a perfect example of missing the bottom block and it all going wrong :(. I haven't been able to do a proper upper body workout in 2 months. This came to a head with a bit of tendon damage in one shoulder, this has led to stiffness and soreness across bottom shoulders and neck. This is all down to poor movement/flexibility and bad posture/rounded shoulders (not helped by sitting at a PC all day everyday). The road to sorting this out is not pleasant or fun, and it's also incredibly frustrating not being able to train my upper body.

Advertisement