Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U19 World Cup - Ireland invited to take part

Options
  • 05-01-2016 12:19pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Australia have withdrawn over safety concerns - see here

Ireland have been invited to replace them for this event in Bangladesh starting at the end of this month

Given Australia's concerns, I guess there must be questionmarks over whether Ireland will take up the offer.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Cricket fan

England, Scotland and NZ are travelling with no issues, and BD have hosted lots of cricket lately with no issue.

We'd be mad not to go IMO

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,344 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

England, Scotland and NZ are travelling with no issues, and BD have hosted lots of cricket lately with no issue.

We'd be mad not to go IMO
    It's short notice. Have these guys been playing, or have they had a relaxing break with expectation of returning to pre-season training in a month or two's time? Do they have school/college commitments?

Although other countries may still be indicating they have not pulled out, the way things are moving on the international front who knows what another couple of weeks may bring.

While yes it's a great opportunity, it's not as simple as saying yes we'll go. There are plenty of logistics to work through, as well as giving proper consideration to safety issues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Why aren't we there anyway? We used to be fairly decent at u-19 a few years ago?

Why aren't we there anyway? We used to be fairly decent at u-19 a few years ago?

Bit of bad luck.

We bossed the regional qualifier however in the do or die game vs the Scots we lost. It was out only defeat and we'd beaten them prior but it cost us due to NRR.

Then in the Final Qualifier similar story, pushed Nepal close, demolished every one else but fell just short.

It will be a huge headache no doubt getting the players (many i assume are just after celebrating the festivities) on board, visas, etc etc and we'll have precious little time to acclimatize, but the opportunity to test ourselves vs India and NZ and others is too good to turn down IMO.

Although in the interests of fairness I'd expect the ICC to maybe delay the competition by a couple days to allow us to prepare, fat chance of that happening though.

At the end of the day Scotland and England are going, cant see any logical reason we wouldnt in that case but we'll find out tomorrow.

Yeah it's a great chance if they can manage the logistics, especially since at u-19 level there isn't anything to lose

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Losses to afghanistan and canada in the warm-ups doesn't fill me with confidence ahead of the first game I'm afraid to say

Same, will likely be up to watch regardless tho!

Same, will likely be up to watch regardless tho!
    Is it on tonight or tomorrow? These 3am starts confuse me sometimes

great start by ireland and Little. Stanton struggling so far

• Advertisement

Little clocked at 136 back there. At 16 already faster than a lot of the senior side! Really like the look of him

India 53/3

4 down now!

Good work being undone I'm afraid

Little take a bow son. Peach of a ball

Very unlucky Doheny, great fielding

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Nepal just beat New Zealand.

Tucker and McClintock have gone past the 100 partnership for the 5th week.
    Run rate after creeping up, 118 required off the last 10 overs.

Great fighting performance this regardless, plenty of positives

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

If they can improve the running (and particularly diving!) then they'll have a chance of a win. Couple of those run-outs could have been avoided with a dive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markbrop

If they can improve the running (and particularly diving!) then they'll have a chance of a win. Couple of those run-outs could have been avoided with a dive!

Yes good performance alright considering we had lost to Canada in a warm up and they had been thrashed by 372 runs against India.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,617 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Super show by the Irish today.
    Great bowling at the start, just fell away for the mid range Indian batsmen.
    At 55 for 4 India could have struggled but they ended up with a reasonable score.
    Ireland after a couple of poor run outs but in fairness, they held their heads high and should be proud especially as they were called in so late.

It was a great performance alright, we were probably just one wicket away from the upset and the pace being generated by Little is very encouraging

Well beaten by Nepal today.

Hammered, I had a look early this morning and we were 68/3 off 30 overs :O Nepal are pretty good though, I am looking forward to seeing how they do against India while we might have a chance of a good show against New Zealand

Namibia beat south africa today to go through to the QFs

respectable showing again but sadly a 4 wicket defeat

Some great individual performances at least, which I guess is the most important thing in the long run

edit: although when you look at the averages, looks like everyone had just the one good game from the 3

So far...

Little has great potential, Anders has been outstanding, hopefully he gains a few kphs in the next couple years.

Batsmen been hit and miss, William McClintock sure can hit the ball a a mile though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭markbrop

Absolute disgrace from the West Indies today.

Advertisement