Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ One TV - Any plans to relaunch the channel?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

icdg wrote: »
    Personally I'm of the view that it is important for all parts of RTE to stress their RTE connection. 2FM may not be formally in recipt of licence fee money, but every news and sport bulletin they air uses resources paid for out of the licence fee, every studio or building they share with other RTE services. Plus any profit they make goes back into public service broadcasting.

In September 2003, RTE took a decision that the RTE brand was to be used on all its service. You'd be amazed at how many people at that point thought 2FM and Lyric FM were privately owned stations. If the new look 2fm really does drop the RTE brand it's inevitable the same will happen. In fact it may be that Ministers will ask themselves why, if 2FM really wants nothing to with RTE, what business it has being part of RTE in the first place and that a quick windfall for the Exchequer might be more desirable.

There is no quick windfall for the exchequer if any government decides to sell RTÉ2 or 2FM, the money would remain with RTÉ.

Unless the government split RTÉ2 and 2FM into services like Channel 4 and then sell those services. What are they worth €60 to 80 million? (Based on TV3 and UTV's sale prices) Not much of a windfall.

I don't think it matters as long as RTÉ are showing that they are providing public services. IMO the last 5 years you can't define either as public services in nature, bar RTÉjr and TRTÉ on RTÉ2.

I agree I know my sister didn't even know that Network 2 was part of RTÉ and yet everyone assumes TG4 is part of RTÉ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Tim Reilly

The head of 2fm takes advice from Australian radio consultants who I'm sure have advised him that the RTE brand isn't cool for the youth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

• Registered Users Posts: 9,729 ✭✭✭lertsnim

lertsnim wrote: »
    I hope they don't have an awful monologue like his last show

As long as they employ writers for the show. Strange day to pick considering RTÉ go on holiday for most of the summer and the only show still running is the Mid-week Movie.

Oh they are looking for Nighthawks.

• Advertisement

RTÉ will aim to have 27 hours of independent TV drama per year by 2018.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Have a look at that 2FM teaser trailer again - just before the zoom on the "2" it's possible to see the "RTE" and "FM" reappear briefly again, with the "FM" in capitals this time. It may be that there is no name change and it's just a new logo.

New logo now on 2FM's Twitter feed - the name isn't changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭Rick_

Now I see it bigger and in better resolution.... I don't like it. Or the new look they have given their promos. If I was Nicky Byrne I'd be annoyed they gave my show a rather girly/feminine font.

pad e wrote: »
    Now I see it bigger and in better resolution.... I don't like it. Or the new look they have given their promos. If I was Nicky Byrne I'd be annoyed they gave my show a rather girly/feminine font.

It prob should be called the The Jenny and Nicky Show (.... Nicky is a fairly feminine name).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭AwaitYourReply

icdg wrote: »
    Have a look at that 2FM teaser trailer again - just before the zoom on the "2" it's possible to see the "RTE" and "FM" reappear briefly again, with the "FM" in capitals this time. It may be that there is no name change and it's just a new logo.

I'm just looking at the new logo here now for RTÉ 2FM via RTÉ Online!

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/

How safe and almost predictable - a bit of a waste of money alright! What was their brief for this refresh at this point I wonder? As usual, RTÉ do not seem to refresh the logos of any of their other radio stations in their entire portfolio looking at their website this evening! The colour scheme has a jaded tired looking feel about it rather than a lively, bold, rebellious & energetic statement for youth which I thought is the market segment they have now taken aim at. The mature presenters on the station such as the excellent Larry Gogan, Dave Fanning & Co. seem very out of place on the youth station and should be doing live shows on other stations like RTÉ Gold or else playing music on RTÉ Radio One at this stage. Right now, the current policy makes these legends in Irish radio broadcasting seem completely out of place.

I wish we had the original 4FM radio station music format and that we had people like Larry Gogan, Dave Fanning, Jim O'Neill, Jimmy Greeley & Marty Whelan not to mention Ian Dempsey as I think he also needs a new station after long successful stints on both 2FM and Today FM!

Oh bye the way, RTÉ One TV please take note how NOT to do things when you do eventually go for the relaunch! Don't get it wrong like RTÉ 2FM probably have by trying to be young but still sending mixed messages with legends who sadly look out of place in a youth station's weekend schedule in 2016!

2XM and Pulse should have at least got a make over.

It's a pity 4fm had to change it would have been a good competitor to RTÉ Radio 1 and NewsTalk, though never understood their Drive Time programme that included music with tom McGurk as host.

RTÉ ONE just needs a new set of idents.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,386 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I'm just looking at the new logo here now for RTÉ 2FM via RTÉ Online!

http://www.rte.ie/2fm/

How safe and almost predictable - a bit of a waste of money alright! What was their brief for this refresh at this point I wonder? As usual, RTÉ do not seem to refresh the logos of any of their other radio stations in their entire portfolio looking at their website this evening! The colour scheme has a jaded tired looking feel about it rather than a lively, bold, rebellious & energetic statement for youth which I thought is the market segment they have now taken aim at. The mature presenters on the station such as the excellent Larry Gogan, Dave Fanning & Co. seem very out of place on the youth station and should be doing live shows on other stations like RTÉ Gold or else playing music on RTÉ Radio One at this stage. Right now, the current policy makes these legends in Irish radio broadcasting seem completely out of place.

I wish we had the original 4FM radio station music format and that we had people like Larry Gogan, Dave Fanning, Jim O'Neill, Jimmy Greeley & Marty Whelan not to mention Ian Dempsey as I think he also needs a new station after long successful stints on both 2FM and Today FM!

Oh bye the way, RTÉ One TV please take note how NOT to do things when you do eventually go for the relaunch! Don't get it wrong like RTÉ 2FM probably have by trying to be young but still sending mixed messages with legends who sadly look out of place in a youth station's weekend schedule in 2016!

You might seen that on the outgoing site. Did you not see the RTE 2FM beta website yet.

http://2fm.rte.ie/

The '2' is bigger than the RTÉ logo. They are eventually going to end up with a mess of logos for all their services.

They could do well to take a leaf from Lambie-Nairn's book and make a new corporate logo for RTÉ and have each channel logo a similar text or numeral beside it. It cuts down on clutter and it really should be up to the idents, content and presenters to give a channel/station a personality, not some quirky logo that no-one (at least for radio) will hardly ever see.

The corporate logo is one thing I would not change. It is a design classic and looks as fresh today as it did in 1995.

You allude to the 1997 BBC rebrand - while the logo itself may have been a great success, ultimately the idea around the 1997 rebrand was a failure. Unfortunately the idea of "letting the idents do the talking" came just as the Internet was moving into the popular consciousness and channel controllers began to demand logos that could work across platforms rather than simply on screen. By 2003 most BBC services had individual logos once again.

I wouldn't have called it a failure. It was just the people in charge only stuck to the brief they were given before something got in their head and they decided to go against the idea they spent millions on buying in and went back to how they used to do things. What a waste of (public) money.

If they went back to those ideas again, it would certainly help dealing with the current problems with the BBC and the look of their channels. Incidentally, the one channel/look they have tried to make work across all platforms, BBC 3, has been overwhelmingly panned as awful. Clearly that is a failure.

You might seen that on the outgoing site. Did you not see the RTE 2FM beta website yet.

http://2fm.rte.ie/

Ah sorry, I never saw this beta site and although I have long since outgrown RTÉ 2FM, this website concept looks a lot more with it for a youth audience (well apart from the visual images of veteran presenters like: Colm Hayes, Rick O'Shea, Dave Fanning & Larry Gogan - of course they are all good radio people but they are stuck in a time warp on the wrong music station.

RTÉ Gold & RTÉ Radio 1 are better vehicles for some or all of these veteran radio presenters!

Elmo wrote: »
    2XM and Pulse should have at least got a make over.

It's a pity 4fm had to change it would have been a good competitor to RTÉ Radio 1 and NewsTalk, though never understood their Drive Time programme that included music with tom McGurk as host.

RTÉ ONE just needs a new set of idents.

Yeah, McGurk on 4 when the 4FM radio schedule was a bit more like BBC Radio 2! I remember Brian McColl (aka: DJ Nails Mahoney) used give Tom McGurk a chance to preview his show and they used have a lot of banter together. Marian Farrell used follow McGurk on 4 afterwards if I'm not mistaken.

I seem to recall that when DriveTime first replaced 5-Seven-Live with Rachel English on RTÉ Radio 1, the new show was built around Mary Wilson along with TWO Co-Presenters: Des Cahill on Sport and Dave Fanning on Music but the format did not last long before Dave Fanning was eventually dropped and I think Sport is no longer necessarily presented by Des Cahill on DriveTime either.

Advertisement