Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

easy peasy way to get rid of moss on Tarmac?

Options
  • 04-01-2016 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭

I am most probably chancing my arm and being totally un-realistic but i would really like to get rid of this unsightly moss on our tarmac drive and the road outside the wall of our house in the most easiest and cheapest way possible once and for all. Any ideas? - something that :

*Does not that involve physical hard graft work like scrubbing, sweeping vigorously, getting out of breath, breaking back etc lol

*if has to be chemicals , something that does'nt cost an arm or a leg and dont have to sell a kidney to afford to buy it

*if involves a chemical, something that can be used around where dogs are present

Things I have tried:

*Mixing up household bleach with water, putting it in garden sprayer
    *Mixing up Biological clothes washing liquid and spraying
    *Mixing up Fairy Washing up liquid

None of this worked, didnt even looked liked it touched it!

As i say I am most probably being un-realistic living in cloud cuckoo land but i would love to just use the ol garden sprayer , fill it up with something , spray the moss and within a day or 2 all the moss has died and just 'dissolved/disappeared' without any brushing/scrubbing off dead moss.
    Thanks for Ideas i havent tried yet.

946458_10207956082473764_7773122226283294296_n.jpg?oh=027b6cbf1f690bf4f46347402db7eb02&oe=56FCBFB4

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Get cheap washing powder. DO NOT wet it or dilute it in any way!!!
    Just sprinkle the stuff on top of the moss and after two weeks brush it away!
    Mind you, I would wait for a drier spell of weather, or better still wait until late March or April to treat it, as weather is milder and the moss would be denser!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Hydrochloric acid mixed with water. It fizzes on limestone so will clean too. My dad and I used it recently and seems to have worked

• Registered Users Posts: 11,731 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

invicta wrote: »
    Get cheap washing powder. DO NOT wet it or dilute it in any way!!!
    Just sprinkle the stuff on top of the moss and after two weeks brush it away!
    Mind you, I would wait for a drier spell of weather, or better still wait until late March or April to treat it, as weather is milder and the moss would be denser!

Thanks, I dont want to wait until march or april, would really want to get rid of it now. and in 1or 2 days not wait 2 weeks and not brush it all away I just want something to dissolve it - not asking for a lot am I lol? :o

Hydrochloric acid mixed with water. It fizzes on limestone so will clean too. My dad and I used it recently and seems to have worked

can that be got off in a larg'sh quantity like 5 or 10 ltr containers? - bet its expensive? - where would I even get it from, what about being safe to put it down if its highly corrosive?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

can that be got off in a larg'sh quantity like 5 or 10 ltr containers? - bet its expensive? - where would I even get it from, what about being safe to put it down if its highly corrosive?

Got 5l in the local farmers co-op, it was a while ago but remember it being reasonably cheap (like less than €20). Nasty stuff to use though, you need to explicitly follow the instructions, wear eye and skin protection and guard against splashes. I was using it for removing efflorescence from stonework, it will etch concrete etc.

FWIW, I also got 10l of Chloras from the co-op really cheap. Farmers use it for disinfecting milking eqpt. I use it diluted on concrete footpaths, does a great job at removing slime - leave on for 30 mins, rinse and brush off.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

You're not going to get anything that'll just dissolve it, but if you do it properly once & then do a simple maintenance once a year or so, it shouldn't come back.

Use soda crystals (detergents aisle in supermarket), wet, leave & then scrape & then once a year just repeat the process but brush them off instead of scraping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

Moss Go Pro. Very expensive, you could cut back the hedge too if it is not getting any light there, or power wash it off yearly.

gsi300024v wrote: »
    Moss Go Pro. Very expensive, you could cut back the hedge too if it is not getting any light there, or power wash it off yearly.

I dont know whether its the case my power washer (its a k'archer) was weak or what but I tried powerwashing it once and it didnt even touch it! - its almost like the moss is weaved deep right into the tarmac rather than just on the surface - sure if it was just on the surface a good brushing would get it easily enough.

one thing I havent tried is a gas 'weed burner' - I wonder if that would kill it off? - dont want to melt the tarmac in the process though lol ...

OU812 wrote: »
    You're not going to get anything that'll just dissolve it, but if you do it properly once & then do a simple maintenance once a year or so, it shouldn't come back.

Use soda crystals (detergents aisle in supermarket), wet, leave & then scrape & then once a year just repeat the process but brush them off instead of scraping.

Thanks, that seems to be surface moss on a concrete path in that picture - we have it growing on the tarmac drive and on closer inspection its not just surface moss it looks like the moss has weaved its way right into the tarmac!

• Advertisement

Got 5l in the local farmers co-op, it was a while ago but remember it being reasonably cheap (like less than €20). Nasty stuff to use though, you need to explicitly follow the instructions, wear eye and skin protection and guard against splashes. I was using it for removing efflorescence from stonework, it will etch concrete etc.

FWIW, I also got 10l of Chloras from the co-op really cheap. Farmers use it for disinfecting milking eqpt. I use it diluted on concrete footpaths, does a great job at removing slime - leave on for 30 mins, rinse and brush off.

hmm thanks, I might be able to work that on the drive, but outside the wall where it looks bad as well, thats public/council and if I done that with corrosive stuff that would be dodgy, especially people walking their dogs, it might melt their footware or the dogs might ingest it! :eek:

I bet if there was some way I could adapt an old electric lawnmower (but I aint that clever) and put some steel wire brushes where the blade is it would remove it fast if I did that. maybe need to get in touch with these garden tool people like Qualcast or Flymo and tell em to invent one quick - unless its already been invented! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Speedsie
    ¡arriba, arriba! ¡andale, andale!

I bet if there was some way I could adapt an old electric lawnmower (but I aint that clever) and put some steel wire brushes where the blade is it would remove it fast if I did that. maybe need to get in touch with these garden tool people like Qualcast or Flymo and tell em to invent one quick - unless its already been invented! :)

Yup, it's been invented. Called a road sweeper. You can hire a walk behind one from many plant hire places. Very stiff bristles, not sure it would lift such deeply entwined moss though.

Oh, and it has a petrol engine rather than electric.

Speedsie wrote: »
    Yup, it's been invented. Called a road sweeper. You can hire a walk behind one from many plant hire places. Very stiff bristles, not sure it would lift such deeply entwined moss though.

Oh, and it has a petrol engine rather than electric.

Ah see every time I think of something its been invented! - thats why im not rich :) - very sensible it being petrol, you wouldnt want to be using electric tools out in this damp wet weather :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

We got a 25l drum. Don't know how much it was but it wasn't very expensive. Would you rent a petrol powered power house? I had one for a day and it brought up paving slabs like new. It would lift Tarmac mind you..

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭MAYOMICK

Every year I buy a big Box of washing powder and shake it on the moss on drive.It does a good job with very little effort and also you have a grand smell around the place for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

I have used washing powder, the cheapest of the cheap Tesco own brand. Spread it by hand generously on the tarmac and leave it for a few hours, then scrub it with a brush. You're not trying to remove the moss by scrubbing, just working the powder into the tarmac. The moss will die away inside a couple of weeks.

I wouldn't use any sort of industrial scrubber on tarmac, you'll end up causing long term damage if you use them I'd imagine.
    MAYOMICK wrote: »
    Every year I buy a big Box of washing powder and shake it on the moss on drive.It does a good job with very little effort and also you have a grand smell around the place for a while.

Anyone try salt?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Anyone try salt?
    I had some good results with salt water, but can't remember how concentrated it was, also threw out bleach solution after disinfecting homebrew equipment, onto mossy area and it killed off the moss, (for a while!).

It'll probably always come back if it's shaded wet damp area.

• Advertisement

Might try washing powder one day see if that works. Do you know why these sites say to us Non-Bio washing powder and not biological?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Staplor

Go to a big supermarket, buy the biggest, cheapest box you can find. Use that, it has to be the cheap stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Do bear in mind that it will also kill plants, grass & wildlife. I have to replace a load of plants where an idiot used bleach & then powerwashed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

I've used jeyes fluid over the last few weeks and it's worked. The moss is still there but it's dead. I must do the calculations some evening to see whether jeyes fluid or specific moss killers are better value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Eule

Anyone try salt?

Yep. Works like a charm everywhere. Sprinkle, then broom into the cracks (if your drive is paved) and just wait for the rain to do it's thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

Jeyes Fluid seems to be the best or armilatox can be used too.

Always read the label and proper measurement of dilution is best.

Moss Go Pro is supposed to be good but it is expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭molby

Milling salt from youe nearest co-op. About 5euro for a fairly big bag. Will kill the moss after a few days. Tried it last year and it worked well.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭tringle

I use the cheap washing powder too and it works. I used it on a very slippy path on Sunday in the rain. Sprinkled, scrubbed it in a bit and juts left it,. The path is now clear. This was more surface moss than deep though. But we use it at work on a tarmac yard, juts keave it for a week or two and then brush away.

• Advertisement

tringle wrote: »
    I use the cheap washing powder too and it works. I used it on a very slippy path on Sunday in the rain. Sprinkled, scrubbed it in a bit and juts left it,. The path is now clear. This was more surface moss than deep though. But we use it at work on a tarmac yard, juts keave it for a week or two and then brush away.

thanks, and just to clarify, was it cheap non-bio powder?

Advertisement