Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PW Spotlight #2 : GerryBBadd

Options
  • 04-01-2016 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭

After a bit of a Christmas Hiatus, Spotlight is back folks.

This week its a man who has been a thorn in my side in the Around the Horn thread and an all round treat to converse with in probably every other thread on PW boards, its GerryBBadd!

For those unaware of this concept, each week a different member of the PW Boards community is highlighted in a thread, and the rest of the community gets to fire wrestling related questions at him. The aim of the spotlight thread is to simply get to know each poster that little bit better and its a great way to grandstand and hotdog about yourself if highlighted.

There are a few rules that should be followed :
    1. Questions should be Pro Wrestling related although some leeway is allowed e.g. TV and Film interests (Stuff we all talk about in the Off-Topic Thread)
    2. Let's not have questions that are too personal. The poster doesn't have to answer anything they don't want to.
    3. Moderator has final decision on what questions are appropriate or deemed too personal or unrelated.
    4. No discussion of poster's answers in the thread (follow up questions are ok)
    5. Only the poster should be answering the questions.
    6. There is a limit of 3 questions per poster though you may follow each of those questions up if needed.

So we have one week of questions with Johnny B Badds distant cousin Gerry. fire away folks.

Ill get the ball rolling shall I with my 3 questions

1. Whos your fav wrestler ever?

2. Are you a fan of Marc Meros Johnny B Badd gimmick.....wooooooooooooo!?

3. How did you come across PW Boards?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

If you had to pick 1, Which Wrestler would you say is most like yourself?

Fight Club: If you could fight anyone, who would you fight?

favourite Diva of all time?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,815 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Smackdown GM or McMahon Helmsley era Steph?

Has Noelle lodged a restraining order yet?

Favourite gimmick match?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

beakerjoe wrote: »
    1. Whos your fav wrestler ever?

This would be a tie between Bret Hart and Shawn Michaels. And to have 2 guys come along, at the same time roughly, with the amount of talent these 2 possessed, was amazing. I still watch back on their old matches very regularly
    2. Are you a fan of Marc Meros Johnny B Badd gimmick.....wooooooooooooo!?

Thats more or less where my name came from! My first name is Gerry, and surname ends with a B. One of my mates just called me gerrybbadd one day, I liked it, and stuck with it!
    3. How did you come across PW Boards?

Whenever I would search for a wrestling term or fansite, Boards would always come up in Google, near the top. I was a bit of a lurker for a while before joining (was afraid it to be a very tight knit group, being hard to join

If you had to pick 1, Which Wrestler would you say is most like yourself?
    Ooh, a toughie. Id say somewhere between Daniel Bryan, and Chris Jericho, with the body of a young Jim Cornette
    Fight Club: If you could fight anyone, who would you fight?
    Probably Enda Kenny. That guy is just so smarmy, and removed from reality, it's unbelievable. The lies that snake told to get to where he is today, should not go unpunished.
    Favourite Diva of all time?
    Might be a surprise this, but Torrie Wilson. I still think she's amazing. Couldn't wrestle to save her life but Dang, was she good lookin'!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Smackdown GM or McMahon Helmsley era Steph?
    Deffo McMahon Helmsley era. Pre bolted on boobs even
    Has Noelle lodged a restraining order yet?
    What have you heard? I had a legit reason to be outside in those rose bushes ok? I wasn't even looking in that window, I was ah, um, pruning
    Favourite gimmick match?
    Can't beat the ladder match for pure spectacle. The chances of injury are high, so theres a lot on the line. And it's nearly always better one on one. The lady great one being Ziggler vs Luke Harper at TLC last year for the IC strap

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭Kankan14

You can in invite five people from the world of wrestling to dinner past or present. Name them?

Same question again but no necessarily wrestling but any walk of life?

Kankan14 wrote: »
    You can in invite five people from the world of wrestling to dinner past or present. Name them?
    Five from the wrestling world. Hmmmmm... I think I'd pick Kevin Nash, as he seems to be good craic (and a bit of a **** stirrer at times), Steve Austin (has some great tales), Bret Hart(for the straight man aspect), Sunny (still would) and CM Punk (just for sh1ts and giggles) . That'd be some combination!
    Kankan14 wrote: »
    Same question again but no necessarily wrestling but any walk of life?
    I'd pick Peter Dinklage (fantastic actor, seems like great craic), Mark Wahlberg (ditto), James Hetfield (Huge Metallica fan), David Icke (I love a good conspiracy, but he's off the wall, bat poop crazy, be funny to see him okay off against the rest), and Vladimir Putin (just to try and get inside his head)

First celebrity crush?

Favourite move and reason?

Least favourite move and reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Favourite & Least favourite PPV?

3 moments in Pro Wrestling that made you go ''HOLY ****''

How would you book Seth Rollins on his return from injury? Can be as detailed or as vague as you like

Met any wrestlers??

Favourite Metallica songs/albums

Finally, how did you react to news of Lemmy's passing?

First celebrity crush?
    I think Marsha Brady! But the first true one was Pamela Anderson,during the Baywatch years.
    Favourite move and reason?
    I've always loved the chokeslam. Seems so vicious and devastating. But I also pop for an F5
    Least favourite move and reason?
    I hate illogical stuff like the Zig Zag, or moves that would hurt the guy doing the move, just as much as it would the guy taking it. Like an RKO on a chair - it's Randy's shoulder taking the chair landing, not the guys face

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

1st time you doubted you're interest in Wrestling and Why ?

Favourite Wrestling entrance music and why

Wrestler you never thought would make it but did

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Favourite & Least favourite PPV?
    My favourite PPV of the year has to be Wreslemania, with the Royal Rumble a close second. I don't really hate any PPV, but I suppose i've grown tired of the themed PPVs like Hell in a Cell, TLC etc - having these as yearly events lessens their value imo, i think the should only be used sparingly, or as a blow off for a big feud.
    3 moments in Pro Wrestling that made you go ''HOLY ****''
    1: Foley coming off the top of the cell. Still gives me goosebumps. I had a buddy of mine record that PPV on a VHS, and seeing it the next day, i dang near wore that tape out, rewinding to that moment. I even managed to temporarily convert one of my non wrestling fan buddies into a fan with that one moment.
    2: The screwjob. Hadn't a notion what was happening. Was watching live, and this was pre-internet for me. To see Bret throw up the big WCW at the end blew my mind.
    3: Brock Lesnar's displays of power, especially in the early days, when he was overhead belly to belly suplexing Big Show around, always made me go Holy Poop!

How would you book Seth Rollins on his return from injury? Can be as detailed or as vague as you like
    I feel Seth needs to be a huge face upon his return. So, for months, we should be shown videos of his progress. Like they did in the past for when Triple H came back, or Edge.

There needs to be talking heads, Cena talking about how tough Seth is, Reigns talking about how he was always unstoppable and the most driven guy he knows. His doctor talking about how he's never seen a patient with more motivation - all the while, some class song is playing over the video package. Then later, the videos change to Seth training, while his own entrance tune plays over it. He talks about how lon the road has been to recovery. How he's been told time and again how severe the injury was, and how it should hold him back. But it won't. He's coming back to regain the title he never lost.

His return then should be unannounced. No big countdown, just he appears. Good to go. Ideally, this would be at the Rumble (of course realistically this won't happen), but at some other event where he can enter as a mystery opponent.

Met any wrestlers??

I met Drew McIntyre in a Hooters in Phoenix 2 days before Wrestlemania 26. Was steamed drunk, and wished him luck for his match "tomorrow". Tomorrow being Saturday, and Mania being Sunday. He mad a bit of a fool out of me, and had a bit of a giggle at my expense. Nice enough guy though.
    iWWbZft.jpg

Also met Todd Grisham, and spoke with him and his Fiance for absolutely ages, a really great guy. Finally, we met some T-Shirt designers that work for the WWE. Didn't believe them about working for the 'E, until the hopped out their phones and showed us pics of them together with VINCE himself!

Favourite Metallica songs/albums

Favourite album, without a doubt, is Master of Puppets. It has everything that a Thrash metal album should. Favourite songs as Master, Fade to Black and Nothing Else Matters (have told the wife this is my funeral song!)
    Finally, how did you react to news of Lemmy's passing?

Have to admit, I wouldn't be a huge Motorhead fan. That being said, I was surprised and saddened to hear of his passing. He was the poster boy for Rock really, truly iconic, and instantly recognisable. And of course, there's the cross over aspect with wrestling too. He' the kind of guy that you'd almost believe could live forever - he had some lifestyle. But to see how quick he failed after the initial news broke of his cancer was scary. He's gonna be a huge loss to the Rock world no doubt.

1st time you doubted you're interest in Wrestling and Why ?

These past 24 months really have been the first time i've doubted my interest. I've been watching Raw religiously since 1995, never missing an episode. And Smackdown since launch. But I bought a house in April of 2014, and I can't get Sky here. So, seeing wrestling in the traditional sense hasn't been easy (not impossible either). But I haven't gone out of my way to watch. And I don't miss it. Becuase it's very hard to watch a 3hr long show, that has 12 minutes total of wrestling.

I do watch the PPVs on the Network though, and NXT.

Vince is totally out of touch with what people want to see. And the worst thing that could have happened really was for him to buy WCW. Becuase there is no competition. No incentive to be innovative or cutting edge. I don;t think that the PG thing matters really, but damn it, give us wrestling. Believable stories. Logical, lateral thinking. And for the love of HAYSUS - get rid of the 50/50 booking. Finally, let guys be themselves. The shows are overproduced, overmanaged. Where are the Heels gone? There are no more heels, proper heels. It's a sad state of affairs.

Favourite Wrestling entrance music and why

I have a few. Always loved Undertaker's music. Becuase it matches the character so well, that slow, brooding piano line, followed by the funeral march. Awesome. Of course, Austin's glass break, because it could come out of anywhere, and the crowd would always become unglued. I miss that. Edge's Alterbridge song.

My main one was Bret Hart's though. And this is gonna sound really goofy, but at my wedding, the table themes etc was wrestlers names / finishers. And my and my new wife were introduced to the wedding party as the "New Tag Team Champions of the World" while Bret Hart's music thumped over the loudspeakers - big adrenaline rush for that!

Wrestler you never thought would make it but did

Edge. Never seen him as a top guy. Always thought he'd be a mid carder for life. I didn't buy him as World champion for a good while either. Of course, Edge was great as a top guy, and is somebody i'd love to see around today, but back then, I felt he'd be an IC / US contender only.

Been enjoying the questions guys, keep them coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭LeeJM

1) Favorite wrestling attire of all time?

2) Who in your opinion should go on the wrestling version of Mount Rushmore?

3) Whats your favourite D'lo Brown match?

4) Are steroids a necessary evil in pro wrestling?

5) Santina Marella or Nicole Bass who is better looking?

LeeJM wrote: »
    1) Favorite wrestling attire of all time?
    Kane's original mask and Big Red Machine attire. Loved that getup. So scary at the time
    2) Who in your opinion should go on the wrestling version of Mount Rushmore?
    Vince McMahon, Hogan, Austin & Ric Flair
    3) Whats your favourite D'lo Brown match?
    Loved me some D'lo during the Attitude Era. He had an awesome series of matches against X-Pac for the European title, so likely, one of those.
    4) Are steroids a necessary evil in pro wrestling?
    As long as it's a body business, steroids will be around. I think its unfortunate, and they should be whittled out. When I think of steroids, it's Eddie Guerrero's enlarged heart that comes to me every time.
    5) Santina Marella or Nicole Bass who is better looking?
    Santina! That accent!!!

Push 1, Stop pushing 1 and Release 1. Who would you choose to be in these categories?

Push 1, Stop pushing 1 and Release 1. Who would you choose to be in these categories?

Push: Cesaro

The obvious choice really. I feel this is a guy that truly has every single tool needed t be the very top guy, and for years to come. But Vince doesn't see it. I think simply because he's Swizz. The fans love him, he puts on awesome matches, and I think myself that he has bundles of charisma.

Stop Pushing: Roman Reigns

Roman deserves to be a top guy. However, he should not have been strapped to a rocket to the top the way he was. Vince has ruined this guy. From the awful scripted promos, to the constant Superstar endorsements, to his repeated failures to reach the WWE title, it shouldn't have happened the way it did. And now, with him definitely getting rammed down our throats at
    the Rumble, where he will surely defend the title in the Rumble match against 29 others
    , who else has ever gotten this big a push? Roman has the ability to get to the top by being himself. This guy looks like a monster, and he can talk for himself. I remember a roundtable a couple years back, where he was conversing with Steve Austin, and he came across as really likeable, funny and well able to talk, on the fly.

Release: Big Show

Got your back, Omack! Really though, he adds very little value at this stage in his career. He was ruined very early on in his WWE career. He should have been pushed as a monster Giant, and kept that way for years. Instead, we've seen, what, 27 or 28 turns from heel to face. Big Show has me reaching for the remote every time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,647 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Least favorite wrestler?

Favorite non wrestling sports personality or team?

What's the meaning of life? Or at least your username?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Being a Rock/Metal fan whats your opinion on Fozzy?

Who was the best wrestler never to hold a WWE World title?

Do you listen to wrestling podcasts and if so,which ones?

Least favorite wrestler?

Of all time? Probably Khali - Can't stand guys like that, who are only there for the spectacle of their size, rather than actual ability. At least Big Show could wrestle
    Favorite non wrestling sports personality or team?

I've always supported Man Utd. Other than that, I love Conor McGregor (feel he borrows heavily from pro wrestling, like Chael Sonnen before him), Joe Calzaghe, Nigel Benn, Steve Collins, Roy Keane, Eric Cantona - there are many!
    What's the meaning of life? Or at least your username?

My username comes from wrestling's JohnnyBBadd.

Meaning of life - hmmmm. For me, live can be summed up in a plate of awesome food, some nice beverage, followed with a movie on the couch, while a fire roars. Or alternatively, a large bag of crisps, WWE network on, load of bottles of beer, and the silence of the house when all have gone to bed!

• Advertisement

Being a Rock/Metal fan whats your opinion on Fozzy?

Some of their stuff is alright. I wouldn't be their biggest fan. Jericho's voice is very overly produced, sounds nothing like him. They had one very catchy tune that Jericho used to play on his podcast, can't think of the name of it right now.
    Who was the best wrestler never to hold a WWE World title?

No doubt in my mind - Owen Hart. He could have been so much more. Granted, he was looking to get out of the business, but around about Mania 10 time, he was on fire. Having beaten Bret at the opening match of Mania, things looked as though they would really take off. Sure, he was KOTR etc, but he was never moved to the main event picture really, other than against Bret (and shortly against HBK)
    Do you listen to wrestling podcasts and if so,which ones?

I do - a lot of them! I listen to Jericho, Austin, Flair, Figure 4's stuff, and although not wrestling related - Jesse Ventura. I also dabbled with Roddy Piper's podcast for a while, but didn't really like it. My favourite at the moment is Ric Flairs, I didn't expect to like it as much as I do

Do you watch much wrestling outside of WWE?

Whos your fav guy never to wrestle in WWE?

What wwe theme song is your guilty pleasure?

Do you watch much wrestling outside of WWE?

I try to. But admit, I'm lazy about it. I'm half way through Wrestle Kingdom X at the minute, last year's event really blew my mind. I also try to catch some ROH & Lucha Underground. I'm not as familiar with other Federations as I'd like to be though.
    Whos your fav guy never to wrestle in WWE?

Either Shinsuke Nakamura or Kazuchika Okada. And we may yet get to see Shinsuke in the 'E, if rumors are to be believed!
    What wwe theme song is your guilty pleasure?

Sexy boy, HBK! Embarrassingly enough, when I was younger, it was "With my baby tonight", the song Road Dogg used to sing while walking to the ring, to face off against the Dastardly RockaBilly!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

What is your favourite wrestling video game?

You can choose two wrestlers from WWE's past to return at the Royal Rumble this month. The first is only allowed to appear in the Rumble match with no scope for a Goldust-like run after it. The other must stay until Wrestlemania where they will have a match. Who do you pick for each role?

Doc Brown gives you the Delorean and instructs you to stop one thing from happening in wrestling. What do you stop & why?

Whos the most under rated guy in WWE at the minute?

Kurt Angle? Bring him back for one last run or is it too late?

Thoughts on EC3?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

Have you ever thought of wrestling training?

If you could be any wrester past or present who would it be?

If you came up with a gimmick for yourself what would it be?

What is your favourite wrestling video game?

When I was younger, I played Super Wrestlemania on the Sega Mega Drive to death. Then, when I got the PS1, I was obsessed with Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game, & WCW vs The World. No way could graphics get better!!!

All time for me though, has to be Smackdown, Here Comes The Pain.

You can choose two wrestlers from WWE's past to return at the Royal Rumble this month. The first is only allowed to appear in the Rumble match with no scope for a Goldust-like run after it. The other must stay until Wrestlemania where they will have a match. Who do you pick for each role?

First, I'd pick Hogan. He wants to come back, and he's been exiled long enough. Imagine the pop for a 1-time appearance at a Rumble. He could put in a great showing, eliminating left and right, looking strong (brother), until:

Goldberg returns! He eliminates everybody including Brock Lesnar. They then go on to have a Wrestlemania match, based on the fact that their original was so bad, and their respective gripes with each other were never truly settled properly.

Doc Brown gives you the Delorean and instructs you to stop one thing from happening in wrestling. What do you stop & why?

What a question! I've always thought that this scenario was a great idea. Imagine if the screwjob never happened, and Bret actually stayed in WWE. He'd never have gone to WCW, never been kicked in the head and forced to retire the way he was.

Owen would never have been the Black Hart, and damn sure would not have been descending from the rafters as the Blue Blazer. He could still be here with us.

Bulldog would not have been wrestling in WCW either, having followed Bret out. He wouldn't have damaged his back on the gimmicked trap door in the ring, wouldn't have needed the pain pills (or at least as many as he was on). There's a chance the Bulldog would still be with us also. The Hart Foundation
    would have continued to be a major faction in WWF/E.

But then again, with Bret staying around, would the Attitude Era have been the same, if he was sticking in the moral compass. Would the WWF have then continued to beat WCW weekly, into oblivion?

It's very interesting to think how, if you change one small thing, how things in the bigger picture later on down the road would end up looking. The Butterfly Effect. Thanks for this question!

Whos the most under rated guy in WWE at the minute?

I think I'd have to say Cesaro. His name comes to me again and again when it comes to guys that should be at the very top, but are continually held back by Vince etc.
    Kurt Angle? Bring him back for one last run or is it too late?

I'd love to see him back, and I think he deserves one last run. I would be terrified for him. If he could get a HHH or Sting style schedule, wrestling one or two major matches per year, then bring him back, by all means. I still think WWE is his true home.
    Thoughts on EC3?

A fantastic talent, that was let slip through WWe's fingers. Sometimes, the E would really sicken you with the talent they have let go. He's gone on to big things in TNA of course, deservedly so. Really very good on the mic, and damn funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Wrestlemania 32 in Dallas, 100,000+ people, halfway through the PPV

Who would you book to perform for the proverbial ''half time'' in the PPV before the main events got underway

• Advertisement

Wrestlemania 32 in Dallas, 100,000+ people, halfway through the PPV

Who would you book to perform for the proverbial ''half time'' in the PPV before the main events got underway

I think there needs to be like a huge event, but something that will appeal to wrestling fans. So nothing like a marching band or whatever.

Some huge rock band, universally loved, complete with massive pyro, dancing girls, huge props, things along those lines. It would help if this band also had the theme tune for the event.

Advertisement