Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tefal Air Fryer

Options
  • 04-01-2016 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭

*I've wanted an Air Fryer for a few years, but it was never an 'urgent purchase'. After several visits to my aunts house where I'd be plied with chips and sausages etc out of it, I decided to research as have bought a couple of gadgets that ended up as dust collectors , apparently Tefal is "the best" according to Which Magazine. Same brand as my aunts too.

*TL:DR Tefal Air Fryers are great. Its got a 5 star argos review anyway. Do take a little longer to heat up, but no grease smell compensates Imho.

Tefal GH806215 ActiFry Fryer - Black - E133, save 1/3, down from e199.
    Same model for sale on Amazon for STG 199 also.
    Just thought it was a pretty good price, mines reserved for pick up tomorrow. Lovely Chips!
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=TEFAL+GH806215+ACTIFRY+FRYER+-+BLACK&authToken=

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Got one of these last year. Great food from it. I even do sausages and pork chops in it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

I got the philips Airfryer and it's excellent for fries ,chicken gougons ect. . I got if for £50 delivered on the black Friday Amazon deal that was linked here on this forum. Still can be got cheaper than the tefal on Amazon. My brother has the tefal ages but comparing the two I think the philips cooks better and faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,933 ✭✭✭dodzy

vagazzled wrote: »
    *I've wanted an Air Fryer for a few years, but it was never an 'urgent purchase'. After several visits to my aunts house where I'd be plied with chips and sausages etc out of it, I decided to research as have bought a couple of gadgets that ended up as dust collectors , apparently Tefal is "the best" according to Which Magazine. Same brand as my aunts too.

*TL:DR Tefal Air Fryers are great. Its got a 5 star argos review anyway. Do take a little longer to heat up, but no grease smell compensates Imho.

Tefal GH806215 ActiFry Fryer - Black - E133, save 1/3, down from e199.
    Same model for sale on Amazon for STG 199 also.
    Just thought it was a pretty good price, mines reserved for pick up tomorrow. Lovely Chips!
    http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=TEFAL+GH806215+ACTIFRY+FRYER+-+BLACK&authToken=

Better deal here and a better product too.

http://www.currys.ie/Product/philips-hd923020-viva-airfryer-ink-black/322950/408.0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

vagazzled wrote: »

FYI: There's a difference between an Actifryer and an Air Fryer as far as I know.

An actifryer still uses oil, and turns the food in a shallow pool of oil.

An Air Fryer doesn't need oil at all, although technically you could put a teaspoon in if you wanted to.

It's just you mentioned Air Fryers, but your link is for an actifryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

FYI: There's a difference between an Actifryer and an Air Fryer as far as I know.

An Air Fryer doesn't need oil at all, although technically you could put a teaspoon in if you wanted to.

Have used both products, and also two versions of the actifryer (1.5kg family version and 1.2/1.3 kg version linked above).

For me the actifry gives better results, but it's purely personal preference.

If cooking chips from scratch, then yes, a small spoon of oil should be added, however, if using frozen chips (which I normally do), then no additional oil is required.

The Philips is probably faster, but capacity is significantly lower than either actifry and to my mind, more awkward to use, it also requires significant cleaning, whereas the actifry is incredibly easy to clean due to it's non-stick coating (a quick swirl of water from the tap is usually enough).
    The Philips is better with breaded products as the moving around in the actifry can knock coating off, but this can be negated by removing the paddle and the Philips also lends itself better to cooking products such as chicken, steaks etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    Have used both products, and also two versions of the actifryer (1.5kg family version and 1.2/1.3 kg version linked above).

For me the actifry gives better results, but it's purely personal preference.

If cooking chips from scratch, then yes, a small spoon of oil should be added, however, if using frozen chips (which I normally do), then no additional oil is required.

The Philips is probably faster, but capacity is significantly lower than either actifry and to my mind, more awkward to use, it also requires significant cleaning, whereas the actifry is incredibly easy to clean due to it's non-stick coating (a quick swirl of water from the tap is usually enough).
    The Philips is better with breaded products as the moving around in the actifry can knock coating off, but this can be negated by removing the paddle and the Philips also lends itself better to cooking products such as chicken, steaks etc.
    I booght the new snack basket attachment for the actifry and has given it a new lease of life
    It sits on top of the pan instead of the paddle
    It means goujons etc don't lose their coating
    I've also started doing steaks and they are delicious
    Second only to the BBQ for steaks IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

Cheaper again in white, same model - - http://www.did.ie/tefal-actifry-al806040-prd?referer=heystaks_search_results&position=8 there it is at 125e in DID.
    Thanks for the comments, i realised after posting that there is a difference, for a moment i thought i'd pre-ordered a deep fat fryer.
    Touch of a cold today so have till tomorrow evening to decide on this one. I'm still a bit confuzzled. Thanks again for the information.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Lads how do home made chips do in these.

danjo-xx wrote: »

apparently they come out very well, I stick to aunt bessies crinkle cut or dunnes finest crinkle cuts - excellent results every time.

Thicker chips aren't great in them imo though, but they do make a great job of the thin french fry types.

OP take care that your aunt had that 1.2kg actifry and not the family sized 1.5kg one, to make sure you're comparing like with like. One irritating drawback of the 1.2Kg version is that it doesn't turn off on its own after the time goes off (bizarrely imo).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

I own both an actifry and air fryer. Using the same potatoes, the chips from the actifry were much better and did not dry out as much as they did in the philips.

I still prefer the philips machine, because I can do more with it. Last night I made chicken wings, steak, a burger and some chips all at the same time. You couldn't do that in the actifry unless you get the 2 in 1 model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Aldi have an air fryer for sale on Thursday for €45. Good reviews too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

My wife often makes home made chips. They taste great.

The great thing about it is the ease of use. You just put the chips in, pour on a spoon of oil, set the timer and can then just leave it until you hear the beeper.

You don't need to check the chips or turn them. It also comes with a guide that gives recommended cooking times for all types of food.

Very easy to clean as others have mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

Aldi have an air fryer for sale on Thursday for €45. Good reviews too.

Can I ask where you found reviews for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Independent1

Power city seem to have the same white one as DID for €125. Have been thinking about getting one for ages and ages, think I might just take the plunge today!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

Reviews from HUKD

1. Yes. This is a really bad con from Aldi. Bad because they obviously think we are so stupid that we will fall for this rebranding PR con. The price is OK, but nothing special. The guarantee singles it out, but check with Aldi as they have in the past said, after the first year you have to return these kind of products to the non UK based manufacturers at your own cost. If you still think it's worth returning, be prepared to wait 2-3 months before you get a replacement.

2. This is a halogen oven with a ring on top which has holes in it .I've got one they kinda work ok buit to be honest ive stopped using the ring now as cant see any differance in making healthy chips ,i just spray with oil n put in the top shelf of the halogen oven .Ive no experience of the other air fryers but like i said this is a halogen oven with an extra ring on top good price though .the one i bought is now being marketed as 'having a fruit dryer' lol

Thats all I could find. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭AS1890

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭vulmac

I would not advise you to get this. Have read reviews of it mashing up potatoes and also chips.
    I have had the Tefal 1.5 and it is ok to a point. The larger capacity is not a plus as it takes it much longer to cook. If you put in too many chips sometimes it mashes them up. It is very flimsy the handle on the basket broke the outer guard perished and the paddle broke. The clear perspex cover is impossible to get clean enough to see through properly.This also cracked and had to be replaced so it was like Triggers brush in Fools and Horses. Has the same brush for twenty years only replaced the head eight times and the handle four times.
    Have been using the Philips for a year now and the family love it and no breakages. This is a far superior product and would not take another Tefal Actifryer if i got it for nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

vulmac wrote: »
    I would not advise you to get this. Have read reviews of it mashing up potatoes and also chips.
    I have had the Tefal 1.5 and it is ok to a point. The larger capacity is not a plus as it takes it much longer to cook. If you put in too many chips sometimes it mashes them up. It is very flimsy the handle on the basket broke the outer guard perished and the paddle broke. The clear perspex cover is impossible to get clean enough to see through properly.This also cracked and had to be replaced so it was like Triggers brush in Fools and Horses. Has the same brush for twenty years only replaced the head eight times and the handle four times.
    Have been using the Philips for a year now and the family love it and no breakages. This is a far superior product and would not take another Tefal Actifryer if i got it for nothing

How much should one expect to pay for the Philips guys?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

pretty sure you're wrong here. they both use air to fry. in the actifry, you can just add a spoonful of oil directly on the chips (or other products) as the paddle will move the chips around and the chips will coat with oil by movement. there is no oil at the bottom.
    with the airfrier, you have to add a spoonful of oil to the chips in a bowl and mix them up to coat the chips prior to putting them in the basket.

actifry is bigger, but the airfry cooks much faster. I've had both and prefer the airfrier personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭vulmac

pretty sure you're wrong here. they both use air to fry. in the actifry, you can just add a spoonful of oil directly on the chips (or other products) as the paddle will move the chips around and the chips will coat with oil by movement. there is no oil at the bottom.
    with the airfrier, you have to add a spoonful of oil to the chips in a bowl and mix them up to coat the chips prior to putting them in the basket.

actifry is bigger, but the airfry cooks much faster. I've had both and prefer the airfrier personally.

You are correct to a point with your reply.
    You don't need oil with either of them for frozen oven cook chips
    You require oil with fresh chips one spoonful with the Tefal on the chips
    On the Philips one spoonful either in a bowl and mix them around, or my favorite method one spoonful in a medium or large plastic freezer bag and shake them around.Then discard the bag with no washing up

madmoe wrote: »
    How much should one expect to pay for the Philips guys?

Thanks

I got one for £60 on amazon in the past few months, they tend to hit that price several times a year.

Just to add to Vulmac's earlier post on the fragility of the actifry, I have had the 1.5L version for almost a year now, using it regularly and haven't yet had any issues with pieces breaking etc, hoping I haven't jinxed myself with this post!!

The biggest drawbacks of the Philips imo is the capacity and the cleaning, if you're cooking for one or two people max, the capacity won't be an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

vulmac wrote: »

The paddle is ceramic and needs to be handled with care and the perspex lid goes in the dishwasher. Mine is years old and perfectly transparent

I got one for £60 on amazon in the past few months, they tend to hit that price several times a year.

Just to add to Vulmac's earlier post on the fragility of the actifry, I have had the 1.5L version for almost a year now, using it regularly and haven't yet had any issues with pieces breaking etc, hoping I haven't jinxed myself with this post!!

The biggest drawbacks of the Philips imo is the capacity and the cleaning, if you're cooking for one or two people max, the capacity won't be an issue.

In terms of cleaning it how bad is it to clean (the Philips)??

Thanks,
    M

Thanks,
    M

The cleaning is a non issue, 100%. There is an internal basket (very similar to that which you would find in a DFF) and then there is the removable enclosure which houses this tray. Both into dishwasher. Done. If you are tight for space in the DW, the outer enclosure is easily cleaned with a little hot water, wash up liquid and a light cloth. 2 mins and you're done.

dodzy wrote: »
    The cleaning is a non issue, 100%. There is an internal basket (very similar to that which you would find in a DFF) and then there is the removable enclosure which houses this tray. Both into dishwasher. Done. If you are tight for space in the DW, the outer enclosure is easily cleaned with a little hot water, wash up liquid and a light cloth. 2 mins and you're done.

Happy days then ;-) Has anyone ever cooked pizza in it!? Is it even possible?

Cheers,
    M

Thanks,
    M

I found it pretty awkward as I cooked steaks and chips in it and found that the steak juices got a bit tangled up in the wire basket, I didn't dishwash it.
    I only used it a couple of times to compare with the actifry as I was gifting it to my uncle who lives on his own. He finds it perfect in size, haven't followed up on the cleaning with him.
    My wife and I found the chips better from the actifry, but then maybe experience with the airfryer would improve that as it's very easy to overcook in the trial and error stage.
    If you're happy with the smaller capacity and the little bit of extra effort in cleaning up, then I'd certainly take the airfryer over the 1.2L Tefal (I have also used it and don't find it as good a product as the 1.5L Tefal). The adaptability of the airfryer is a big plus.
    I'd say Pizza can be done in it, but I don't think the results would be great given the amount of cutting and dicing required to squeeze it in there!!

I found it pretty awkward as I cooked steaks and chips in it and found that the steak juices got a bit tangled up in the wire basket, I didn't dishwash it.
    I only used it a couple of times to compare with the actifry as I was gifting it to my uncle who lives on his own. He finds it perfect in size, haven't followed up on the cleaning with him.
    My wife and I found the chips better from the actifry, but then maybe experience with the airfryer would improve that as it's very easy to overcook in the trial and error stage.
    If you're happy with the smaller capacity and the little bit of extra effort in cleaning up, then I'd certainly take the airfryer over the 1.2L Tefal (I have also used it and don't find it as good a product as the 1.5L Tefal). The adaptability of the airfryer is a big plus.
    I'd say Pizza can be done in it, but I don't think the results would be great given the amount of cutting and dicing required to squeeze it in there!!

Thanks for that! As a single fella living on my own and wanting to be as healthy as possible I think the Philips is the one for me! Now to find the cheapest place to buy it!

Now to find the cheapest place to buy it!

Here ya go

/search

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    Here ya go

/search

Much appreciated for that! Sale price looks OK, I wonder how much they are normally?

Advertisement