Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Indoor Rowing Championships

Options
  • 02-01-2016 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Is anyone else going to the Irish Indoor Rowing Championships? Its on in UL on the 23rd of January. Entries are still open for a week or two I think.

I'm hoping to pull 6:40 2k in the Junior 18 mens category.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Is anyone else going to the Irish Indoor Rowing Championships? Its on in UL on the 23rd of January. Entries are still open for a week or two I think.

I'm hoping to pull 6:40 2k in the Junior 18 mens category.

Signed up for the 500m open. Mostly going for a nosey and an excuse of a day out. Hoping I can place top 3... or at least pull sub 1:20... let's see what happens I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

A sub 6:40 as a junior would be good going - best of luck!

Not going to make the 500 this year Magill unfortunately, but no doubt your presence in the field would have made a repeat of my second the last two years all the more difficult. Best of luck - would be cool to read a trip report from you after.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Not going to make the 500 this year Magill unfortunately, but no doubt your presence in the field would have made a repeat of my second the last two years all the more difficult. Best of luck - would be cool to read a trip report from you after.

Ahh that's a shame mate, was hoping we'd battle !! Have no idea how my 500 looks now tbh, I haven't done one in a good few months so should be interesting.. hoping the racing atmosphere will push me to go a little quicker than I usually do. I'll report back here afterwards anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I heard this week a Cork junior pulled sub 6 recently. Think he was CBC. I was rather impressed :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rowingperson

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Thanks, I hope I can pull it off.
    I heard this week a Cork junior pulled sub 6 recently. Think he was CBC. I was rather impressed :pac:

There is on junior from Shandon who did a 6:16 at the provincial indoors in November, and he won by a mile, I doubt he could go 16 seconds faster in 6/7 weeks, but it is still incredible erging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Thanks, I hope I can pull it off.

There is on junior from Shandon who did a 6:16 at the provincial indoors in November, and he won by a mile, I doubt he could go 16 seconds faster in 6/7 weeks, but it is still incredible erging.

The way I heard it it's 20 odd seconds quicker than that. It's getting into ridiculously quick for sure.

Bare in mind I don't know if it's the same lad or even if its true. But chances are it's him, and I've no reason to doubt who told me.

I'm sure you've a good idea what you can do, so stick to the plan and nail it :cool:

This was on at the weekend. Will give a wee update as promised.

Really enjoyed the event. Was a lot of fun watching the other races, the effort put in by the competitors was excellent... a lot of exhausted people lying on the floor after their 2k's ! Really cool.

The 2k men's was a great race, really close finish between the top 3 or 4 guys...really impressive.

As for my my own race, I was disappointed with my performance tbh. I hadn't really done much preparation but had done one practice run last week and managed a 1:18:6, going as hard as possible and dying over the last 100m. Race plan was to stick around 1:16/17 for as long as possible and then come in at around 1:18. 5 seconds in and the plan went out the window as I just went as hard and fast as possible !! Think I was around the 1:15 pace up until over 300m, couldn't slow it down and then I just died an awful death and ended up with 1:20:5 for 3rd place. Guy who won the event put in a beastly performance though of 1:16:9 or there about. so I don't think I was ever gonna win anyway !

Still, excellent event and a good experience. Hoping to be back next year and maybe give the 2k a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

Magill wrote: »
    This was on at the weekend. Will give a wee update as promised.

Really enjoyed the event. Was a lot of fun watching the other races, the effort put in by the competitors was excellent... a lot of exhausted people lying on the floor after their 2k's ! Really cool.

The 2k men's was a great race, really close finish between the top 3 or 4 guys...really impressive.

As for my my own race, I was disappointed with my performance tbh. I hadn't really done much preparation but had done one practice run last week and managed a 1:18:6, going as hard as possible and dying over the last 100m. Race plan was to stick around 1:16/17 for as long as possible and then come in at around 1:18. 5 seconds in and the plan went out the window as I just went as hard and fast as possible !! Think I was around the 1:15 pace up until over 300m, couldn't slow it down and then I just died an awful death and ended up with 1:20:5 for 3rd place. Guy who won the event put in a beastly performance though of 1:16:9 or there about. so I don't think I was ever gonna win anyway !

Still, excellent event and a good experience. Hoping to be back next year and maybe give the 2k a go.
    cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 36,162 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Well done Magill, no shame in 3rd place for your first race. You'll always be faster in the gym as the clock starts when you do and I've lost time off the start as it's hard to replicate in training.

1:16.7 to win it is a huge Irish record, unreal pull.

Advertisement