Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITV win rights to GB horse racing from 2017

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,522 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Elmo wrote: »
    IMO Channel 4 probably has a bigger reach if ITV plan to put the majority of the sport on ITV4.

ITV4 is carried on all Freeview transmitters, on the same mux (PSB2) as ITV, Ch4, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭TAFKAlawhec

TBH I don't really understand why Sky don't use PICK more than they do. How many times has that channel been re-branded since it was called FTN.

<offtopic>Pick never descended from FTN - FTN was a Fletchtech (later Living TV Group) network channel which later became Virgin 1 before becoming Channel One for a few months before closing. Pick is descended from Sky 3 which launched as its own channel (the same time Sky 2 was relaunched) mainly marketed at Freeview viewers where it replaced Sky Travel.</offtopic>

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

AFAIK horse racing is one of the most popular sports in the UK/Ireland.
    Makes sense to show more of it esp on weekends and big festivals , surely be more popular than some of the dopey minority stuff on free to air.
    ITV should be able to show good weekend coverage on one of their channels.
    Hopefully they take the approach of ATR and not RUK in presenting it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭iseegirls

hawkwind23 wrote: »
    Hopefully they take the approach of ATR and not RUK in presenting it

Not that much of a fan of horceracing, but what would be the difference between the two channels in terms of presenting it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

iseegirls wrote: »
    Not that much of a fan of horceracing, but what would be the difference between the two channels in terms of presenting it?

ATR is pretty down to earth , have some great presenters who really know their stuff and a couple of entertaining presenters.
    Like kinda know the racing public and cater to that.

RUK presumes the only people who go racing are Rich Ricci types so its all bluster and air talking shyte about pedigrees and monkeys on this and that and general nonsense.
    Basically a load of chancers who have no idea who the majority racing public is.

Or else they are just a bit loutish english and i have an issue with that , i dunno i just despise the channel.

Atr shows the Irish racing and thats what im mainly interested in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

<offtopic>Pick never descended from FTN - FTN was a Fletchtech (later Living TV Group) network channel which later became Virgin 1 before becoming Channel One for a few months before closing. Pick is descended from Sky 3 which launched as its own channel (the same time Sky 2 was relaunched) mainly marketed at Freeview viewers where it replaced Sky Travel.</offtopic>

Always thought they kind of merged the Free Sky channels and Free Virgin channels. Virgin, Sky 3 and Challenge when they introduced Pick, Pick +1, Challenge and Challenge +1.

From a rights perspective I don't see why Sky don't use the 4 free channels more. In this case Pick could provide racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

The Cush wrote: »
    ITV4 is carried on all Freeview transmitters, on the same mux (PSB2) as ITV, Ch4, etc.

As explained earlier (post 30) having greater reach doesn't necessarily mean having greater signal penetration but refers to more viewers being likely to watch one channel (Ch 4) than another (ITV4).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It really just means ITV has a bigger reach than Channel 4, it having move viewers.
    Technically speaking Channel 4 can't show stuff that's really popular. Part of it's charter.

And they did get F1 so still they still have racing ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Technically speaking Channel 4 can't show stuff that's really popular. Part of it's charter.

And they did get F1 so still they still have racing ;)

Royal Charter Section 13 Sub-Section 143 (i) (iii)

The Corporation shall at times, when possible, seek to insure that it remains in clear view of its satirical name Channel Snore.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Royal Charter Section 13 Sub-Section 143 (i) (iii)

The Corporation shall at times, when possible, seek to insure that it remains in clear view of its satirical name Channel Snore.
    Like TG4 it shows a lot of minority interest stuff and is very hit or miss. They showed some 3D films a few years back and sent me out some glasses, something BBC or ITV would never do.

21st century problem, if you can see Channel 4 then there's lots of other channels to choose from.

FTA satellite or Freesat box means you can get UTV HD or the other ITV regions in HD, just in case anyone is upset at horse racing on UTV Ireland in SD.

• Advertisement
Advertisement