Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitness help

Options
  • 01-01-2016 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi all just looking for a bit of advice really. I'm female 5ft 2" around 8 and a half stone. I'm really looking to build strength and muscle I've no interest in losing more weight. Any advice as to how? I'm not a member of a gym I went looking at a new gym just before Christmas and it really pushed the group workouts and stuff not into that and really interested in lifting but I don't think they took me seriously. Now am not looking to get into anything competitive or anything and it's for my self esteem more than anything..I've lost weight and while I look good in clothes I've no shape and no definition. Any help appreciated and any recommendations I'm in the dundalk area. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Hi Natec

I can't help in terms of advising on gyms in Dundalk I am afraid, but if you want to get a feel for some good ideas for workouts and exercises, there are some useful facebook pages worth a look - Thrive as the Fittest and Lift Weights Faster by Jen Sinkler, Girls Gone Strong, and Lift Like a Girl (Nia Shanks) are all good starting points, and they do a lot with bodyweight, resistance bands, kettlebells and minimal equipment so you can even get idea of stuff to do without a gym.

It's probably a good idea to get a couple of sessions with a trainer and to get a proper program if you can, but the above sites have some good info as well - Nia Shanks definitely has some beginners programs available for free I think, and most also have good videos showing how to do the basics correctly like push-ups, squats, tricep dips off a chair etc. that you can even do from at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 natec12

Thanks for the quick reply, yes I will definitely look into those. There seems to be loads of pts in my area and lots doing the 8 or 12 week "transformation" courses. I'm a wee bit weary of these because I know they're intense and I want to get into this properly not kill myself working out for a short amount of time that's not sustainable in the long-term. Alot seem to be focused on fat burning and I'm guessing that it'll take awhile (as in months) to achieve what I want so I don't want to throw money away on the wrong one.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jennyjoy

Hi Natec,
    I would definitely suggest looking into some workout programs that you could do from home. Beachbody just recently released a new program called Hammer and Chisel that looks like its centered around toning and building muscle. I haven't tried this one out yet but I'm a fan of a bunch of other Beachbody workouts that I felt brought results so I think it's worth checking out. Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭COH

natec12 wrote: »
    Hi all just looking for a bit of advice really. I'm female 5ft 2" around 8 and a half stone. I'm really looking to build strength and muscle I've no interest in losing more weight. Any advice as to how? I'm not a member of a gym I went looking at a new gym just before Christmas and it really pushed the group workouts and stuff not into that and really interested in lifting but I don't think they took me seriously. Now am not looking to get into anything competitive or anything and it's for my self esteem more than anything..I've lost weight and while I look good in clothes I've no shape and no definition. Any help appreciated and any recommendations I'm in the dundalk area. Thanks

Is driving an option? You are about 25 mins away from Boyneside Strength & Performance in Drogheda - really cool atmosphere there, lots of girls kicking ass and probably one of the best equipped gyms in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Don't forget to eat more. If you're already thin you'll need extra calories to develop any muscle. You could lift for 12 months and see very little change if you don't give your body some extra food to fuel the growth. Don't go overboard obviously, but an extra healthy snack and maybe some larger portions at dinner would be helpful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 natec12

Hi everyone thanks for all the replies... I'll try to answer all. I will look into the online workouts to do at home, but would these be as effective as what you'd so in a gym? Driving to boyneside probably wouldn't be an option, busy home life, a job and kids I'd like to stick to the dundalk area if possible. With regards to eating I feel skinny enough but I'd need help with nutrition and eating while working out as I've lost weight through a combination of slimming world and calorie counting and I find myself a bit confused with regards to eating to gain muscle if you know what I mean. Again thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

natec12 wrote: »
    Hi everyone thanks for all the replies... I'll try to answer all. I will look into the online workouts to do at home, but would these be as effective as what you'd so in a gym? Driving to boyneside probably wouldn't be an option, busy home life, a job and kids I'd like to stick to the dundalk area if possible. With regards to eating I feel skinny enough but I'd need help with nutrition and eating while working out as I've lost weight through a combination of slimming world and calorie counting and I find myself a bit confused with regards to eating to gain muscle if you know what I mean. Again thanks for all the advice I really appreciate it.
    go travel to see a trainer you can put some trust in.

Commit to at least 3 sessions in close succession (ideally over 10 days so you can really nail the basics) then one session every 6 weeks for new programs etc

Ive a girl ive worked with for about 4yrs that comes to see me here in sandyford and lives/works in dundalk so 20mins down the road aint a problem as most trainers work strange hours and could take you 8pm, 9pm in the evening, weekends etc

Advertisement