Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

broken scaphoid so cannot lift. lose muscle?

Options
  • 30-12-2015 9:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

Broke scaphoid and looking at a cast for 12 weeks. I was only lifting heavy for 7 months but had really leaned up in the torso(did dexa and 18% body fat measured using dexa just before my accident). Will keep diet in check (am going to replace weights with cardio). How many lbs muscle should I expect to lose over 6 months? I'm in horrors of becoming really soft and flabby and if I'm going to lose, say 5lbs muscle ,then I don't want to be same weight at the end of the 6 months as this means I've 5lbs fat gained instead. So I'm thinking I should try to lose a half stone while laid up so don't look noticeably bigger and body fat doesnt go over 20%(I'm female).Happy enough with my current weight /shape and hopefully over exaggerating the effects 6 months will have on that?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Eat enough protein.

Get onto weight machines in the gym (lower body mostly) and do lots of tempo and voume to retain as much muscle as possible.

Research shows beneficial results on the INJURED side if you continue to do some work for the non injured side.

Don't go too cardio heavy, that'll just lead to more muscle loss.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

..also - sh1t injury to get. Know a few who've done it and it's just as pain in the ass. You'll be grand once it's healed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Thanks Hanley. Can't get to gym for a month at least (also have broken forearm on other arm!) . When that's healed though, youre saying i can do dumbbell bench press , shoulder raise using that arm only. Was afraid of becoming totally unbalanced and lopsided but as female, unlikely I'll build too much muscle on my good side!!! I never even thought of lower body machines-must try those. Roll on February when I can join a gym. Re cardio I've been walking for 90 minutes a day and rented recumbent exercise bike which Im using for an hour-would high resistance on this deplete or maintain muscle? To be honest I've been using this just to give a bit of focus to my days so don't go stir crazy. Also allows me eat a few hundred extra calories.
    I was planning on doing a cut in a few months time to lose some fat(4 to 5 lbs ) Should coincide nicely with when I start back at gym and hopefully mean ill lose more fat than muscle during the small cut.
    You've cheered me up a lot. I've heard such bad things about weights machines that hadn't even considered these.
    Anyway how many lbs muscle would a beginner lifter lose in 2 or 3 months of not lifting? Worse case scenario!! I got my rmr measured 6 months ago and have calculated what I'm currently eating based on that. I'm concerned that my rmr will fall after a month or so but dont know if I'm looking at 100 calories less or what.

Advertisement