Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do I have left to live?

Options
  • 30-12-2015 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Right now i'm a 29 year old male with type 2 diabetes and I weigh 23 and a half stone. I've weighed at least 19 stone since I was 15 years old.

I am not fit at all and still drink a lot of fizzy drinks despite being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am a moderate drinker, though most weeks I drink 8 pints 2 times a week at time so that could make just just above a moderate drinker.

Will I live to see 50? 45 even?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

First of all, I recommend reading the following:

https://www.diabetes.ie/living-with-diabetes/living-with-type-2/

Consult a GP too.

Try to stay positive!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

No one can tell you that with any type of certainty on here.

What they COULD tell you tho is that your lifestyle isn't doing you any favours.

At a conservative estimate, 16 pints is at about €80 per week or €350/month.

For that, you could work with a personal trainer/join and gym, AND work with a lifecoach/other mindset person to help you identify why you're doing some pretty self destructive things :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Right now i'm a 29 year old male with type 2 diabetes and I weigh 23 and a half stone. I've weighed at least 19 stone since I was 15 years old.

I am not fit at all and still drink a lot of fizzy drinks despite being diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. I am a moderate drinker, though most weeks I drink 8 pints 2 times a week at time so that could make just just above a moderate drinker.

The answer to the question is, unfortunately, maybe, maybe not.

Mentally, even by verbalising this online, you've recognised you have a problem.

Now you need to start trying rectify that problem.

As echoed by Hanley, 16 pints a week and whatever amount of money you spend on fizzy drinks is a fair chunk of change to be spending on a monthly basis.

I would advise cutting out the booze and fizzy drinks for a period of 2-3 months, enlist the help of a good Personal Trainer who won't just tell you to go on a treadmill for 20 mins 4 times per week.
    A person your size has serious potential to do damage by training too hard too quickly.

To maintain a weight of 23.5 stone, your calorie intake is extremely high, the diabetes notwithstanding.
    It could also be a good idea to see a psychologist to have a chat about any issues you may have surrounding using food as a coping mechanism for previous loss/trauma.

I won't go into specifics on any of the psychological side of it as I'm not qualified.

Well done on verbalising you see a problem.
    Best of luck doing something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Have you spoken to your gp or diabetic centre at the hospital to see how controlled your diabetes is.
    Its not just diabetes and weight that's the problem but potentially Blood pressure and heart damage.
    I've seen a family member with the same sort if weight and diabetic. The last time I saw her was in the mortuary.

No one can predict how long you'll live but what you describe will seriously go against you unless you take action.
    I would consider 8 pints a night as binge drinking not moderate and not good for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

The ball is still in your end of the court, so to speak. What you do with it is up to you.

First, stop drinking the fizzy drinks. There is nothing good about them. Omit them 100% from your diet. The sugar is feeding your diabetes, the phosphorous is killing your bones, and so much more, none of it good.

Eat right and exercise. Get out for a walk. Try a mile, or whatever you can, but try.

Try lifting weights. The good thing about lifting weights is that it takes days for muscles to repair. Days of using energy/fat.

Whatever you do, 10 days is the magic number. 10 days is usually what it takes to break a habit. Lkewise, 10 days is what it takes to make a habit.

When you deny your brain whatever "drug" it is getting for 10 days, it will usually come off that "drug." Offer it a new "drug" for 10 days and you'll often have a new "addiction."

For example, if you exercise for 10 days, your brain will usually get addicted to the endorphin release. Deny the other chemical stimulants, like eating or drinking too much and you have a new addiction.

It is amazing. When I am in full-on endorphin mode, my body will crave getting up a first light, sometimes 5:00 AM, for a quick 50 mile bike ride. Seriously...

The first step is, literally, taking the first step.

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
Advertisement