Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti wrinkle cream for men. Ever try it?

Options
  • 30-12-2015 2:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭

I must sleep in some awful position but whatever I do I end up with massive wrinkles circling my eyes. They usually disappear after breakfast but they are starting to become permanent I've noticed.

I've tried sleeping on my back , but I wake up on my face anyway. Not sure what else I can do other than sleep in zero gravity or use that fancy anti wrinkle "serum" for men.

Have ye tried it? Does it work.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

Not really a fancy serum but Bulldog Anti Ageing Cream for Men gets my vote. Morning and evening for 2 weeks and your face will look like a babies arse. Its about €15 in Tesco, sometimes they have half price offer on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭GFT

Coconut oil is excellent for the circles around the eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Aldi serums 3.99
    There's 3 different types, but they're amazing and generally I spend a fortune on my skin products, but these are right up there with the premium products in terms of results.

Wouldn't suggest putting them around your eyes though. Get yourself an eye cream for that, and a silk pillowcase

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

Both the Aldi Serum and the Bulldog stuff say to keep away from eyes.

Are there any under & around eye creams?

According to the internet, coconut oil can cure everything under the sun from a common cold to mouldy teeth to cancer, so I'm a bit skeptical.

Coconut oil is amazing. I cook with it, use it as body moisturiser, as a hair mask, and hand lotion, and find its good as a pre cleanse to lift make up. I personally wouldn't use it under my eyes as it could be a little too much.

If you're looking for just an eye cream, I've heard good things about both aldi and la Roche posay. I'm using a decleor one at the moment that I really like

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

The ladies would be more the experts at this, what products to use etc. From what I gather the expensive stuff does little if anything more than the basic stuff like nivea, oil of ulay vaseline etc. If the expensive stuff did more it would likely be classed as a medicine. Basically the various creams hydrate/keep the moisture in the skin and some have an anti UV filter as sun damage is about the biggest cause of skin ageing(apparently most of said damage happens before 20 so...). I'd be looking at your internal health too. Keep hydrated through the day, keep fit too and avoid loading the body with crap. I don't mean "toxins" or any of that new age stuff, but sensible things like no ciggies and keep drink to a minimum, eat healthy fats and proteins, that sorta thing.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

If you're ironing lines into your face by folding the skin with your face squished up into a pillow, then a cream won't stop it. It'll stop dryness, and if it's got a decent spf, sun damage.

The only thing that'll stop sleep wrinkles is to stop sleeping on your face. You can't undo hours of creasing every night, for years and decades, with any kind of cream. Get a high profile latex pillow so that you're uncomfortable on your face and you will probably spend more sleep time on your back. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Candie wrote: »
    Get a high profile latex pillow so that you're uncomfortable on your face and you will probably spend more sleep time on your back. :)

I think I'd rather have wrinkles on my face than be uncomfortable in bed. Don't you move around in your sleep anyway?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Idle Billy

I think I'd rather have wrinkles on my face than be uncomfortable in bed. Don't you move around in your sleep anyway?
    Well maybe your already married! But gee, it'd better be something I'd watch out for. It's so hard to slip on your back... you'd want to be a robot! At least I don't sleep on my face!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,053 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Are us men meant to worry about wrinkles now as well?

Jez, whats the world coming to!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21 Idle Billy

NIMAN wrote: »
    We're meant to act like we're not worrying!

Gotcha !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 80 ✭✭28srf0c

Jez, whats the world coming to!

I've had wrinkles for ages on my forehead. Not a problem to me at all. It's just that I seem to sleep in a way that is very violent to my eyes, possibly with my face scrunched up. It can't be normal!

Your skin could be dry or dehydrated around the eyes which would lead to less "bounce back" when you lay on your face. Change your pillow case if you know you're going to continue to sleep on your face, and keep the skin moisturised. It's not a magic fix but it'll help to prevent more damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

No cream can get rid of wrinkles they don't call wrinkle creams hope in a bottle for nothing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They can puff out and hydrate and reduce the appearance of some of them and using an SPF from early on can prevent skin ageing*, but yep it's mostly flim flam. As I said if they actually worked, they'd be classed as medicines.

*I'd firmly believe in that on a personal level anyway. When I was one years old, I got sun/heatstroke on holiday(in Achill island of all places) and my ma got the fear about such things so I was slathered with sunblock after that. And not the cool invisible kind of today, we're talking "jayzuz who whitewashed your kid" 70's style sunblock. The upshot is that even though I'm looking right down the barrel of the half century I have pretty much zero wrinklage, no crows feet or any of that. Now I still look my age, so you can't cheat that(without hair dye and Hollywood. QV Johnny Depp)), but no wrinkles.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Sam Kade wrote: »
    No cream can get rid of wrinkles they don't call wrinkle creams hope in a bottle for nothing.

I don't think anyone has said that anti wrinkle cream gets rid of wrinkles.
    A young skin is generally wrinkle/line free because it has plenty of collagen and elastin in the skin. An older skin tends to lose its elasticity over time, as the body doesn't produce as much collagen and elastin.

What the anti wrinkle cream does is helps keep the skin supple therefore keeping the aging process from happening quite so fast.

You're not really going to be able to buy collagen and elastin in a bottle and have it there to look forever young, but every little helps, right?
    Also, you can get creams that will help to plump out fine lines which gives the illusion of less wrinkles while wearing the cream. It's not magic though, so there's only so much it can do

Also fun fact, the biggest anti aging product is spf, like wibbs says! Anything with spf can be described as anti aging.

You're not really going to be able to buy collagen and elastin in a bottle and have it there to look forever young,
    Oh give it time L, give it time. :D Actually on that score and again entirely supposition and the usual Wibbsian nonsense, I have noticed that vegans I've known had "older" looking skin as they hit middle age, whereas healthy meat eater types looked a little "younger". Maybe that's the collagen thing going on, where there are more building blocks in the diet of meat eaters? OK they might peg it clutching their chests at 55, but people will say "wow he/she looked well for their age. Terrible tragedy. Only terrible". :D

Tis shocking sad, tis, tis. Awwwwful shhhhad!! :D

I do think you're right though, if I have a heavy weekend drinking wise, you can see it all over my face. I have amazing skin, but if I have a hefty weekend, you'll see the lines on my forehead and under my nose, I'll have a breakout on my chin and I have a horrible dull complexion, so you may very well be right with saying people with meat in their diets will have better looking skin. You can see on people's skin if they're smokers or heavy drinkers without ever having to talk to them. Genes have an awful part to play in it too. You can spend a lot of money on expensive treatments but if your mam/dad ages bad, chances are you will too.

L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Sham Squire

Wibbs wrote: »
    I have noticed that vegans I've known had "older" looking skin as they hit middle age, whereas healthy meat eater types looked a little "younger".

That's real anecdotal stuff there. The facts would suggest the opposite. It's like my mate that's convinced vegetarian girls will grow moustaches because "two vegetarian girls in my year in college BOTH had 'taches"

It's fairly well researched and accepted that animal produce will cause more wear and tear and stress on your insides (digestive system, colon, etc) than a plant based diet. Just because you know some wrinkly vegans doesn't mean it's an accurate picture of the effects of a vegan diet :)

It's fairly well researched and accepted that animal produce will cause more wear and tear and stress on your insides (digestive system, colon, etc) than a plant based diet.
    It's anything but accepted actually. When compared to the general population yes there's a difference, but vegetarians and vegans tend strongly towards other healthy lifestyle choices. When health conscious meat eaters are compared to health conscious veggies there is no statistical difference. Plus try getting stuff like creatine from a vegan diet and as a man your testosterone will drop on a veggie/vegan diet and you'll have lower muscle mass. But that's for another day/thread/forum.

No cream in a jar, no matter how expensive, can stop time and ageing.

Accept it. The beauty industry had convinced millions of women to spend billions on them, and they are wasting their money.

Drinking water, sunblock, exercise, no smoking and sleep will all work better than any miracle cream

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I use Lacura night and day cream, the latter has spf20. They have vitamin e and hyaluronic acid, which is basically a plumper that is naturally produced in your skin but production declines as you get older.
    This stuff is nice, gives a lovely supple feeling and it is cheap. It actually has many of the same ingredients as some much more expensive products. Probably come from the same feicin plant!! I don't buy into the likes of creme de la mer - its all wishy washy with no credible scientific backing targetted at those who have more €€ than sense.

It would also be worth testing out Lacura soy containing creams. These are marketed towards postmenopausal women as soy is a phytoestrogen which stimulates collagen synthesis in the skin.

I also take glucosamine sulphate tablets. Studies demonstrated that GsS promotes hyaluronic acid synthesis and possibly collagen synthesis. It is also an MMP inhibitor, MMP is an enzyme that degrades extra cellular matrix in the skin.

I also drink a lot of white tea. Many many studies show that white tea is extremely effective in downregulating the activity of MMPs. This may result in greater or more sustained collagen and elastin content in the skin with time.
    In vitro studies also show that addition of sucrose and ascorbic acid to white tea infusions can greatly increase the absorption of antioxidants during digestion.

Anyhow my skincare kit since April '15 is as follows:
    - Proformula facial wash
    - Lacura SPF 20 anti aging day creme
    - SPF 30 sun cream if I'll be outside during the day - sun, cloudy, rain, always.
    - 1x 500mg glucosamine sulphate tabled, morning & evening.
    - 4 cups of green tea w. 20mgAA/100ml & 1000mg Scurose/100ml.
    - Lacura anti wrinkle night cream.

I have always had fine crows feet lines. I can say that my skin has improved noticeably in the past year. Probably due to the above and leading a healthier lifestyle overall.

If you do nothing else, wear SPF if you are outside. UV kills your skin BIG time. Even in cloudy weather. And get enough sleep so your body can heal and repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

NONE of these things work - they're all either magic woo or pure fraud.

They do so too!
    Fair enough, it is probably very difficult or impossible to repair damage already done but one can mitigate further damage by using sun factor and removing damaging environmental factors, ie smoking, alcohol, lack of sleep, keeping out of direct sunlight etc.

I've read in several places that in an older person 3/4 of visible damage is a result of photoagaing.

No cream in a jar, no matter how expensive, can stop time and ageing.

Accept it. The beauty industry had convinced millions of women to spend billions on them, and they are wasting their money.

Drinking water, sunblock, exercise, no smoking and sleep will all work better than any miracle cream

It's a bit like weight loss people want some cure that involves the least effort which is how they are quickly relieved of their money and nothing to show for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Boardz Fiend

As most of the adverts state, these creams "reduce the appearance of wrinkles". I use anti-aging cream and ALL the lines and wrinkles disappear cutting years off my appearance, i stop using it for a few weeks and they reappear.... Im totally fine with that :-) Does what it says on the tin as far as im concerned

As most of the adverts state, these creams "reduce the appearance of wrinkles". I use anti-aging cream and ALL the lines and wrinkles disappear cutting years off my appearance, i stop using it for a few weeks and they reappear.... Im totally fine with that :-) Does what it says on the tin as far as im concerned

It's an illusion, it doesn't get rid of them as you said it reduces the appearance of wrinkles. Probably more of a filler, it still isn't an anti ageing cream.

• Advertisement

I believe tretinoin is proven to increase collagen and elastin production in the skin, the lack of which causes wrinkles and sagging.

I also see some studies showing that topical n-acetylglucosamine and niacinamide formulations have a positive effect. And I've seen a few that show that vitamin C is effective at increasing collagen synthesis.

A little project of mine now is to concoct a DIY antiwrinkle day cream and night cream which will consist of:

Day: SPF50 base; vitamin c; CoQ10; niacinamide & n-acetylglucosamine
    Night: tretinoin cream base; vitamin c; CoQ10; niacinamide & n-acetylglucosamine

Apart from tretinoin, all of the remaining raw ingredients are readily available and fairly cheap. Tretinoin is hard to get and on the expensive side.

Advertisement