Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SSD for Dell L502x (SATA or not?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

The link for the Dell form doesn't work, if you go to crucials website they have a scanner you download. Run this and it will recommend a ssd then look for the same one on amazon to get it cheaper.

http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/storage-info?cm_re=top-nav-_-flyout-ssd-_-us-ssd

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the tip. Would you suggest going for Crucial over Samsung though? I had my eyes set on the Samsung..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks a lot for the tip. Would you suggest going for Crucial over Samsung though? I had my eyes set on the Samsung..

Samsung seems to be the most recommended. But have a look at the reviews on youtube it should help you decide.

Hi again,
    I kinda put this off but now it's high priority due to this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057578081

The link for the DELL website discussion should be working? The price of the SATA Evo 840 has shot up and is no longer available from Amazon (which means I can't get the Irish VAT back as a business purchase), however this one is also SATA and is available from amazon even cheaper than the 840 (and appears to be a better drive judging by the "pro" tag and it being an 850? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-Drive/dp/B00P738MUU/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I'd probably go for the 960GB crucial as I probably don't need something as good as the PRO, but I just don't know if I need one that specifically states it's SATA for the L502x?

Any help would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

They're all SATA except the M.2 via PCIE and NVME ones which won't fit in your laptop anyways (2x too small).

Samsung are pretty well regarded when it comes to NAND (one of the biggest, the storage in your iPhone is usually theirs). They started with the 830 Series which were killer then split into 840 EVO and 840 Pro. Pro is the successor to the 830, EVO is the budget fork. Same goes for 850. Budget doesnt mean bad, just shorter lifespan on average.

850 Pro: MTBF : 2 million hours(125GB/256 GB/512 GB/1 TB), 1.5 Million Hours Reliability (2 GB)
    850 Evo: 1.5 Million Hours Reliability (MTBF)

Samsung: Thumbs up
    Crucial: Thumbs down for DIRE software (had to write a script just to see wear leveling on my server)
    Kingston: No experience
    Toshiba: Dont like them after thousands failed in Macbooks and it seems Sony Ultrabooks (sudden death syndrome)
    Sandisk: Thumbs up as personally I've always found all their *real* products to be stellar

• Advertisement

Ok, so even the EVO should last me 171 years? :eek:

Is the PRO not really necessary in that case then?

I think I'll go for the Samsung from Amazon. Most people seem to be recommending it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pro has a slight performance benefit too but its not something you'll see in normal conditions. Useful for devices that will be hammered with writes.

850 EVO would do you just fine. You wont know what hit you.

Sweet, looking forward to it :)

If anyone knows any Irish suppliers who I can walk into and pick it up for close to what amazon are charging (€300 inc Irish VAT) for the evo 850 1TB, please share. I see 300+ VAT from itbits and maplin for it, but that's a bit too much of a hike, I just hope waiting the extra few days won't be a stupid decision :)

Advertisement