Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Me oul nemisis BSOD is back ;(

Options
  • 28-03-2016 12:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,813 ✭✭✭✭

3 BSOD's in 2 days, 2 today, every time it's happened it's been when I've just left the computer doings stuff and left winamp playing MP3's, the music suddenly starts buzzing, the screen freezes and doesn't react (not sure if it goes black or it's just black because I have the screen go black after 10 minutes of inactivity), then after a few seconds the BSOD appears and says something about failed memory dump and it switches off.

Restarting asks if I want to start normally, I say yep and there's no indication of any problem then after that. Seems fine in regular use.

I was considering getting a SSD HD recently, maybe it's a sign I should just bite the bullet and migrate to SSD? Would that fix it?

Any feedback appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

What's your setup?
    Have you anti-virus software?
    Do you know how to run memtest and scandisk?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,813 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I have Avast anti virus and I know scandisk through the accessories yup, not sure what memtest is though.

It happened again, this time there was no music playing, it's just when the screen went blank after the 10 minutes, so maybe something happens here when it goes into a low consumption mode. Has never happened when I've actually been at the computer using it..

thanks for your help thus far :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

What Windows are you using I've not experienced a bsod in years in fact I think they dress it up in more decent versions with a error screen.

Format and reinstall an option?

If I was going to format and reinstall, I'd go for that SSD upgrade at the same time I think as things are taking a long time to boot and start up.

I've a L502x and I'm still not entirely sure what SSD to go for based on this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057542357

I'm using W7 at the moment but I have that W10 upgrade thingy, so I was thinking, if I needed to, I could get the SSD, upgrade to W10 and hope for the best from there :) The problem is, doing any of these kind of upgrades is a huge task for me as I set up my laptop in a very OCD way and need everything right. I also use it for work so need as little downtime as possible, but it usually takes me about 3/4 days to get a reinstall set up how I want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

Disable Sleep, Hybrid sleep, Hibernate, etc, any other power related settings one by one.

Most likely culprit is graphics driver. try to update this first, then disable all applications that run in idle mode. i.e. Windows updates, AV update etc.

Simple check- disconnect internet before letting PC alone for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

Download an app called WhoCrashed. It will give you a more detailed report of what caused the BSOD. Could be a driver fault.

Thanks again. These things kinda puzzle me, I mean if it's a driver issue, how did it come about? There's been no problems since I last updated the driver probably 2 years ago, so why would there be a problem now? what has changed? or would something just get corrupt some and would that more likely to be a hardware or software issue? Would it be anything to do with a HD that's on the way out?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭Edgarfrndly

cormie wrote: »
    Thanks again. These things kinda puzzle me, I mean if it's a driver issue, how did it come about? There's been no problems since I last updated the driver probably 2 years ago, so why would there be a problem now? what has changed? or would something just get corrupt some and would that more likely to be a hardware or software issue? Would it be anything to do with a HD that's on the way out?

Really could be anything. You just need to dig a little deeper. Try that app I suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

I have Avast anti virus and I know scandisk through the accessories yup, not sure what memtest is though.

It happened again, this time there was no music playing, it's just when the screen went blank after the 10 minutes, so maybe something happens here when it goes into a low consumption mode. Has never happened when I've actually been at the computer using it..

thanks for your help thus far :)

Run a full anti-virus scan in normal and also in safe mode.
    Also Run the scandisk on the HDD

memtest checks your RAM modules link here
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ie/windows7/diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. Will try get around to testing it soon. It happened again since, again while in screensaver mode (I say screensaver, but I just have it set so the screen goes blank/turns off). No issues at all when I'm just working away at the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Vandall

If you get bsod again write down and post here error code looks like
    0x00000xxx

Noooo! I can't believe it, I just went to turn my laptop on and it's just giving me a blank screen after the screen that gives f2 for setup or f12 for boot options. I tried a few times turning it on and off but nothing seemed to be happening so I ran a pre boot system assessment suck it's still going through now, but it has already given the following error which I've attached a photo of.

I never got around to doing any of the options suggested above. I woke up and the power button wasn't it's usual softly pulsating self as it is in sleep mode, so I'm not sure if I put it in sleep and this happened in sleep, or if I forgot to put it in sleep and it went into its usual screen saver mode mentioned above and then this is a result of another bsod :(

Ok, very weird, I'm back using it in normal mode now. I let it just sit at the screen it was blank at and fell asleep and when I woke up it was at the login screen, but I think then it restarted and asked if I wanted to go into safe mode, so I chose yes, when in safe mode I was able to burn a bootable disc with some backup program I have and I'm not sure if that helped boot up, but here I am back in normal mode.

Also when I was in safe mode, things kinda froze up a little and I couldn't view the desktop for example, I was able to shut it down normally then I started up in the boot mode and everything appears normal but very strangely, there's a notice saying the settings file is missing or empty on my rainlendar calendar program and then when I started up firefox, my home page was replaced with the firefox home page and now it's asking "choose what I share" as if it's the first time I used ff, but all my bookmarks etc are still there :confused:

I think I'm going to try take a back up next just so I know if it gets worse, at least I have an image of it. I'm not sure is this the start of the HD failing though or something else?

Ok, I'm getting pretty scared now..

I tried restore state from a system restore and it says there's no restore points.

I downloaded whocrashed, ran it and it says:
    "Crash dump directory: C:\Windows\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer"

I'm checking for windows updates and it says:

"Most recent check for updates: Never"
    Updates were installed: Never"

This is in addition to firefox settings being wiped and my rainlendar settings having to restore from a backup file too :(

I'll run chkdsk and memory test next, but I'm kinda afraid to turn off the computer again incase it won't restart.

Judging by the PBSA test, it looks like your hard drive is failing.

That's what I'm fearing alright, things seem to be going a little slow too. I'm in the process of looking for a new SSD as I was considering upgrading to one anyway.

I haven't a clue what happened all my settings though, maybe booting into safe mode did something to them? I did a quick google and I saw a few posts about people saying booting into safe mode got rid of their settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I'm in the process of looking for a new SSD

In the process of looking for one??? Get off the pot and go buy one right now!

Or rather a kit that lets you clone your old disk. Clone as soon as you get it, it might take a few tries, but it might very well work.

I'm going to clone the system now soon with some cloning software, and then order the SSD from Amazon and then back up all the files then too, and I think I might just start afresh with W10 instead of restoring this version of 7 and then having to upgrade to 10 with it.

I downloaded the W10 upgrade thingy, I'm not sure is it an installshell itself and can install W10 from boot or if it needs a system already on it though.

Do you think waiting for a delivery from Amazon is silly?

I'm going to clone the system now soon with some cloning software, and then order the SSD from Amazon and then back up all the files then too, and I think I might just start afresh with W10 instead of restoring this version of 7 and then having to upgrade to 10 with it.

I downloaded the W10 upgrade thingy, I'm not sure is it an installshell itself and can install W10 from boot or if it needs a system already on it though.

Do you think waiting for a delivery from Amazon is silly?
    You can clean install 10 and activate it with your 7 key. No need to upgrade.

• Advertisement

Great, that's probably what I'll do so. It takes me f**king ages though as I personalise it so much so going to have to learn the whole new OS.

I just hope I'm ok to wait for the SSD from Amazon :o The oul bargain hunter in me doesn't like paying more than I have to :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,327 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I know that Dell error code like the back of my hand, definite hard drive failure

Very strange that it still seems to function ok once it's booted up. It must just be a bad sector that's thankfully not affecting most functions :confused:

So I changed the settings to not have the pc go into sleep now but it didn't seem to change anything, so I've been having to play a 10 hour classic music youtube video any time I'm away from the computer so it doesn't go to sleep :D

I left it doing a backup yesterday while I was out, but I was gone for more than 10 hours, came back and it had the BSOD again :o

I wasn't sure if the backup had completed properly so I turned it back on and there was a 117gb backup file, I assumed it had finished and all was good, but I decided to run the backup again just incase and during the backup it popped up an error saying it failed to backup sector XXXXXX of the HD, so I skipped this and it then finished the backup a while later and the new backup file is 159GB.

So I guess all signs leading to a f**ked HD, now it's just a case of waiting and hoping it doesn't go completely kaput before delivery. I have my classical music anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,763 ✭✭✭DopeTech

So I changed the settings to not have the pc go into sleep now but it didn't seem to change anything, so I've been having to play a 10 hour classic music youtube video any time I'm away from the computer so it doesn't go to sleep :D

I left it doing a backup yesterday while I was out, but I was gone for more than 10 hours, came back and it had the BSOD again :o

I wasn't sure if the backup had completed properly so I turned it back on and there was a 117gb backup file, I assumed it had finished and all was good, but I decided to run the backup again just incase and during the backup it popped up an error saying it failed to backup sector XXXXXX of the HD, so I skipped this and it then finished the backup a while later and the new backup file is 159GB.

So I guess all signs leading to a f**ked HD, now it's just a case of waiting and hoping it doesn't go completely kaput before delivery. I have my classical music anyway :pac:
    99% certain playing a YouTube video doesn't stop a laptop going to sleep. Think it needs you to move the mouse or press a key every so often to stop it going asleep.

Oh no, it's working for me anyway, I put it in full screen just to be sure :) but what happened yesterday is the 10 hours finished because I was out for so long and it went into sleep then after ;(

Oh ****, just found out that the affected area of my HD might be the one that's most important to me, what the hell are the chances of that???

I got my new SSD and I've been trying to backup files this morning through a clone program and then just dragging and dropping too and I've had 3 BSOD's in doing so. I decided so to just go to my most important folder to back that up now and then I'd maybe get the rest to the new install with a SATA/USB adaptor I'm going to borrow off a friend as the rest of the files and programs aren't as important.

So I see after the last BSOD, the last folder showing up in the archive was Thunderbird in appdata and it was 4gb instead of the 12gb it shows up as in C. I tried then to copy thunderbird alone then and it gave another BSOD just trying to copy that folder :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Vandall

Hi
    Apparently i am new user and cant post links, PM me, i'll give you ling to software which might help

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

I have recently had a HDD crap out on me.
    Instead of booting into the HDD which only increases the prpblem, I would boot from an OS on a DVD or USB stick and then only access the HDD as I needed to i.e, only access it to copy files. I would start with the most important files first, preferably the smaller ones.

Do you have such an option available?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies on.

I managed to install W10 on the new SSD anyway so up and running on that now.

I can't recall the exact procedure I followed, but I seem to have my thunderbird emails all accessible now too.

I haven't started with any other programs yet, but I think that time I booted into safe mode on the old HDD has messed up some settings for me. As I said, it cleared loads of settings, but it's also made the search function in thunderbird not work and there's no longer a "view message in conversation" option in thunderbird. This is since booting in safe mode, not just since installing w10.

Of course I want all my thunderbird and firefox emails and bookmarks etc, so I just need to figure out how these things happened too.

I've a feeling w10 will take a lot of customisation to get it how I want it, but it seems pretty good so far :)

I got a lend of a SATA usb adaptor from a friend, so I have the old HD ready to plug in for when I need more files off it.

Advertisement