Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus 5th gen core i5 laptop with 8Gb RAM €499 Harvey Norman

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I have the i7 Asus X555LA and it would actually be a very straightforward thing to swap the HD for a SSD, thus retaining the optical DVD drive. I was thinking of doing it but didn't bother yet, as it boots very fast on Windows 8.1 as it is. Go for a 250GB SSD minimum.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Techmaster wrote: »
    Yes, you can replace the disc drive with an SSD. It will be a beast of a machine after you put in the SSD.

sounds good, I have a 128gb ssd in this laptop I would swap over

I was just doing a bit of research of putting another stick of 8gb ram in it, but from reading online someone said its a sealed unit? no screws to open it, that seem a bit odd?

The RAM is soldered to the Motherboard and is not upgradeable (or more worryingly replaceable should it fail), however it has an expansion slot so you can add more RAM which is accessed through a panel door with a single screw on the base of the laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

Stinicker wrote:
    The RAM is soldered to the Motherboard and is not upgradeable (or more worryingly replaceable should it fail), however it has an expansion slot so you can add more RAM which is accessed through a panel door with a single screw on the base of the laptop.

When was the last time a dimm of RAM failed on you? There's a reason why RAM has a lifetime warranty. I wouldn't class it as "a worry"

At least it has a free slot. The disappointing thing about the laptop is the cheap looking build and plastics used for the screen and base.

A decent price I suppose but It's missing a touchscreen which should be included for 500e

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭worded

I don't think asus make good laptops . Perhaps the higher end is ok but the mid range can be rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

good news on the ram slot..
    I read elsewhere that the cpu is soldered in also, but am i right in reading that the laptop is a sealed unit, so i prob won't be able to remove cd drive & put in an ssd, part of me is saying to go for this as its a good spec for browsing & torrenting , have an xbox1 for gaming..

btw, i am not talking about the one in the first link..
    i am talking about the i7, hp laptop for €739 here

Everything I have written is about the ASUS machine so people don't get confused about the HP machine. I have the ASUS X555LA-XX1190H i7 Processor.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Techmaster wrote: »
    Yes. 2-3 hours at most.
    Would the battery life really be that bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Last day of the Asus at 495 in Currys / PC world apparently.
    Harvey Norman price match it but I guess it'll be back to 599 from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,506 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Would the battery life really that bad?

Some sites say up to 4 hours but it depends on how you use it. Watching movies will require more power than writing a word document.
    At the end of the day, it only has a 37Wh two cell battery.
    The processor and associated items uses 15W per hour so 2.5 hours if you are doing something intensive, longer if not.
    Putting in an ssd should mean an improved battery life due to fewer cooling requirements and less fan running.
    You need a larger capacity battery or a lower power processor with lesser cooling requirements (like the atom or core m) if you want longer battery life. A bigger battery adds size/weight and a lower power processor is either slower or very expensive. There's tradeoffs on every aspect of battery life.

• Advertisement
Advertisement