Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property Market 2016

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

In other news, the rent a room scheme limit has been increased from 12k per year to 14k.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,306 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Villa05 wrote: »
    Mortgage must be 80% or higher LTV
    The prudent need not apply!
    The truly prudent wouldn't pour all their savings into a deposit. The truly prudent would put 20% down as deposit and keep the rest of their savings in liquid form.

This would allow them to get the lower interest rates, keep a large sum of money as savings and to avail of this grant.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭derekbro

Will the rent a room exemption going up to 14k not just cause existing landlords using this to up the rent?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

derekbro wrote: »
    Is the max 20,000 per property, i.e. 10,000 per person for a couple?

Yes 20k per property

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

derekbro wrote: »
    Will the rent a room exemption going up to 14k not just cause existing landlords using this to up the rent?

Probably more likely to rent a second bedroom in most cases. Looking at daft for Dublin, over 60% of sharing ads are below 600/month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

i find it laughable, new builds will go up in price! The lads sitting around the table with their tea and biccies and this is the best they can come up with. fcuk wits!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭radharc

i find it laughable, new builds will go up in price! The lads sitting around the table with their tea and biccies and this is the best they can come up with. fcuk wits!

Everyone is looking at this the wrong way, this is a supply initiative, nothing to do with the demand side. The government obviously know developers will stick the 5% onto asking prices but are happy for them to do so if it makes them more likely to build new houses. It is basically a 5% grant from the government to house builders to encourage them to step up activity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Utah wrote: »
    Wondering this too, how will it be split?

Probably deducted the same way mortgage interest relief is done, the bank deducts it from your repayments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

radharc wrote: »
    Everyone is looking at this the wrong way, this is a supply initiative, nothing to do with the demand side. The government obviously know developers will stick the 5% onto asking prices but are happy for them to do so if it makes them more likely to build new houses. It is basically a 5% grant from the government to house builders to encourage them to step up activity.
    No, I think most people fully understand how this will work

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Villa05

The truly prudent wouldn't pour all their savings into a deposit. The truly prudent would put 20% down as deposit and keep the rest of their savings in liquid form.

What about the low income person who would only qualify for a loan equivalent to 70% of the purchase price but through prudent behaviour may have saved 30% of the deposit.

• Advertisement

Intresting that a cheap loan scheme can be set up for farmers but nothing similar for housing where there is obvious demand

Landowner's must be God's in this country

Farmers – A special loan fund being established in conjunction with the Strategic Banking Corporation of Ireland to provide farmers with loans that have an interest rate below 3pc per annum. Will help improve cashflow and reduce cost of short-term borrowings.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

Another weak move by the government, there were a number of ways to stimulate supply but instead they've opted for something which will increase prices. They have essentially undercut the Central Banks rules put in place to slow excessive growth. How about they put their money into developing the thousands of acres of land they have, fast tracking zoning and planning and getting some extra houses built!? Just another silver bullet plan from the great minds in our Dail.

Earleybird wrote: »
    fast tracking zoning and planning and getting some extra houses built!? Just another silver bullet plan from the great minds in our Dail.

Because this is the wrong thing to do.

What about the low income person who would only qualify for a loan equivalent to 70% of the purchase price but through prudent behaviour may have saved 30% of the deposit.
    Yes, the whole scheme is a nonsense, but I'll take advantage of it if I can, I'd be foolish not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Earleybird

ThisRegard wrote: »
    fast tracking zoning and planning and getting some extra houses built!? Just another silver bullet plan from the great minds in our Dail.

Because this is the wrong thing to do.
    Whys that?

Whys that?

History has shown us what a mess rushed rezoning can cause, in terms of the potential for dodgy dealings, estates built with no facilities around them or infrastructure to support them, and just simply the idiocy in rezoning green belts in order to build more houses. Processes are there for a reason.

Yes, the whole scheme is a nonsense, but I'll take advantage of it if I can, I'd be foolish not to.

Are you a builder?

Are you a builder?
    I put a deposit down a few weeks ago and it looks like I meet all the criteria.

I put a deposit down a few weeks ago and it looks like I meet all the criteria.

Ahh you need to be a builder to take advantage of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Probably more likely to rent a second bedroom in most cases. Looking at daft for Dublin, over 60% of sharing ads are below 600/month.

Rent a room is based on total income, adding in bills could easily bring a room over the 600 mark so there may be some rentincreases now that it's gone up. I won't be letting my other room or upping my lodgers rent, it's not all about the money.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

athtrasna wrote: »
    Rent a room is based on total income, adding in bills could easily bring a room over the 600 mark so there may be some rentincreases now that it's gone up. I won't be letting my other room or upping my lodgers rent, it's not all about the money.

Listened to Pascal O'Donoghue on the 4PM news yesterday- he seems to think the increase in the rent-a-room scheme is particularly directed at solving the student accommodation issue- how or why he has come to this conclusion is beyond me. I can't see many owner occupiers deliberately going out of their way to court students as housemates..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Listened to Pascal O'Donoghue on the 4PM news yesterday- he seems to think the increase in the rent-a-room scheme is particularly directed at solving the student accommodation issue- how or why he has come to this conclusion is beyond me. I can't see many owner occupiers deliberately going out of their way to court students as housemates..........

It is something I had been considering doing, particularly on a Monday - Friday basis, partly because I know it will not be a year round and I can have my own space in the summer months. Also I know they are likely only to be there for one academic year and then move on as I dont really want to let a room but may have to to be able to furnish the house.

Ahh you need to be a builder to take advantage of it
    I'm talking about the first time buyers grant, what are you referring to?

I'm talking about the first time buyers grant, what are you referring to?

The ftb grant. The government even admit it it will benefit developers

The ftb grant. The government even admit it it will benefit developers
    Absolutely, the whole scheme is a nonsense. In my case though I put down the deposit before the announcement so I know what price I'm paying and I look to be meeting the other criteria so it looks like I will benefit from it. It doesn't change my opinion of it but I'd be a fool not to avail of it. I'd rather they just built houses or financed building them instead of pulling these stunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The government aren't interested in increasing supply. If anything they will do as much as possible to placate the populace seeking to buy (a relatively small percentage of the population), but as little as possible to solve the problem. If you think it's tough to buy a house in Dublin in 2016 it's going to be practically impossible in 2017. They will have a greater chance of staying in power by 1) looking to see an increase in house prices to reduce the number of people in negative equity (a large population), 2) keeping the ones who can't find a home as quiet as possible but not really helping them (a relatively small % of the overall population).

We're already at record levels of supply, and if anything the demand is increasing. It'll be interesting to see how this will play out in terms of price increases, but I suspect it will have to decline at some point.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ligerdub wrote: »
    The government aren't interested in increasing supply. If anything they will do as much as possible to placate the populace seeking to buy (a relatively small percentage of the population), but as little as possible to solve the problem. If you think it's tough to buy a house in Dublin in 2016 it's going to be practically impossible in 2017. They will have a greater chance of staying in power by 1) looking to see an increase in house prices to reduce the number of people in negative equity (a large population), 2) keeping the ones who can't find a home as quiet as possible but not really helping them (a relatively small % of the overall population).

We're already at record levels of supply, and if anything the demand is increasing. It'll be interesting to see how this will play out in terms of price increases, but I suspect it will have to decline at some point.

Do you mean record low level of supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Zzippy wrote: »
    Do you mean record low level of supply?

Yes, my mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭EmmaMurray2016

This isn't a first time buyers grant cause I'm a first time buyer and I can't afford NEW builds in Dublin. We have to buy a house for 220,000 or less 10% deposit. Then after that it goes up to 20% so where are these new builds for 220,000?????! Angry face cause I can't find smiles. This should be called grant for developers while they hyke up the prices.

Yes I'm moody sour head over it as I thought they were going to help us buy.

Well done to all the ppl who can afford a new build up here. Grab their poxy grant.

Rant over.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement