Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isnt Mulled Wine the Most Disgusting Drink ever?

• 23-12-2015 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

honestly what do people like about Mulled Wine? - I have always passed up Mulled wine in the past but I tried a glass the other night for the first time ever. it taste like the worst type of cough medicine ...... heated up!

i wont be drinking any of that ****e ever again!

whats EggNog like?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Have you ever had Budweiser?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

If done incorrectly, yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,507 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's horrible stuff alright, I'd prefer Budweiser or even Harp over it any day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,271 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think it's revolting so subjectively it's up there on my most disgusting drink... But it has a lot of fans so it's obviously pushing some buttons to which I'm immune.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

It can't possibly compete with the vomit that is eggnog.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

Sea Dog dark rum.

Budweiser close second.

/thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭my teapot is orange

I had mulled cider at the weekend. That definitely beats it in the race for worst drink ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

honestly what do people like about Mulled Wine? - I have always passed up Mulled wine in the past but I tried a glass the other night for the first time ever. it taste like the worst type of cough medicine ...... heated up!

whats EggNog like?

Did you spend a long time thinking about this complaint?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Duff wrote: »
    Sea Dog dark rum.

Budweiser close second.

/thread.

Love SeaDog Rum, a man's drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭KungPao

Anything with cloves is disgusting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Mulled wine is disgusting. Egg nog is lovely stuff. I haven't had any in years. Would love some right now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Mulled wine is grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Mulled wine is grand, but it takes a shocking amount of sugar to make it grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 91 ✭✭Larry the Logster

Haven't ever tried either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭trashcan

It's horrible stuff alright, I'd prefer Budweiser or even Harp over it any day.

Ah here now. Harp is vile. Have you ever tasted Drambuie btw, now that is the most disgusting drink there is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,842 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

whats that slice of thing in the Mulled Wine is it orange or lemon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

The German shops (Aldi & Lidl) have it for sale under the name Glühwein. I think the only real difference is that they might use cardamom instead of nutmeg.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

wine should not be heated up like that, it should be chilled! - I will stick with my chilled Chardonnay

wine should not be heated up like that, it should be chilled! - I will stick with my chilled Chardonnay

It's red wine though. You can't be chilling that. My missus drinks the oul glühwein cold, the mad eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

It tends to improve after about 3 glasses, then really improves after around 8 glasses

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Haven't had it in years but I like mulled wine, reminds me of being at a Christmas market. It's lovely and warming when it's cold and windy but it is a bit of an acquired taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

I had some a few weeks ago, thought it was very tasty...

I wouldn't chance making it myself though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

whats EggNog like?
    Made it for the craic last year, wanted to see what it's like. Not bad, if I recall a bit of a cream liquor type of taste to it - but it would get pretty testing after a bit. If you like milkshakes it's worth a go, I guess.

The one I made wasn't very strong though, not sure how you would offset a stronger alcohol content without it tasting completely rank.

EDIT: When I went googling though, there were tonnes of different recipes with pretty big differences in ingredients and measures, so it could be pretty hit-and-miss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Hot mulled wine served in a wine glass, accompanied by hot mince pies :)

Yum yum, Christmas has arrived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

What, no Chateau de Chassilier lying around?

Tried it before at a german xmas market, couldn't stand it
    Apfelwein though yes pls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Laphroaig52

whats EggNog like?

Kevin Myers answered this question 10 years ago.

Vintage Myers at his best:

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/an-irishman-s-diary-1.1172187

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

It tends to improve after about 3 glasses, then really improves after around 8 glasses

So does the wife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Figbiscuithead

I like stuff in a carton from Lidl but not sure if that's the real deal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

No.

That award goes to root beer. Tastes like the liquid used to clean hospital floors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

bnt wrote: »
    The German shops (Aldi & Lidl) have it for sale under the name Glühwein. I think the only real difference is that they might use cardamom instead of nutmeg.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    Apfelwein though yes pls

What the hell is wrong with you people? Glühwein from a proper Xmas market is an amazing tipple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

What, seriously? No one has mentioned Pernod? It's French for "I'd rather be sober".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Crumpets

I was at a few Christmas markets in Germany last year and I'm telling ye, the mulled wine was absolutely gorgeous! We just make a balls of it here

Crème de menthe - tastes like Night Nurse!

Mulled wine is lovely!
    I don't know what the most rotten drink ever is but sambuca is surely a contender. *shudder*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

I didnt know I was in such a minority of people who thought it was a lovely drink? Never even considered it a very acquired taste..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I'm another lover! Hate wine but I love mulled wine. I make a pot of it on Christmas Eve and keep it warm in the slow cooker during Christmas Day. I'm usually the only person who likes to drink it so its all for me! :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

If made right, mulled wine can be lovely. If made wrong, it can be rank.

whats EggNog like?

What most people miss when reading the story Georges marvelous medicine is when the conjecture was heated up :) Ask some of them sometime about the difference between GMM2 and GMM3 :p

But tongue out of cheek - a well done mulled wine is one of lifes best pleasures. Suffice to say that you do not want your first one to be from someone elses hand - you need to make it yourself :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭KatW4

I usually can't stand it but we got some at our work party and it was lovely. Tasted rotten when it was cold though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I would prefer to siphon petrol and get a mouthful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭Cortina_MK_IV

No.

That award goes to root beer. Tastes like the liquid used to clean hospital floors

In the states years back we thought we'd try that root beer that they had in the movies. We sipped it and almost as one said, "TCP," f**king awful stuff.

bluewolf wrote: »
    Apfelwein though yes pls

You are on the right track :)

SlowBlowin wrote: »
    I would prefer to siphon petrol and get a mouthful.

You really wouldn't though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There has been a bottle of this atop my freezer years now. was given it and just do not fancy it but then I am not a drinker.

Sarsi gets my vote.
    All the goodness of Deep Heat in a handy 330ml format.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

I've tried shop-bought mulled wine here once, and will not do that again.

Home-made it's beautiful, though. If you want an extra bit of theatre, check out Feuerzangenbowle!
    Looks incredible, tastes amazing and is guaranteed to give you the worst hangover you've ever experienced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I've had at the xmas markets in Berlin it was -10 degree outside at the market the gluhwein went down lovely. There was red and white gluhwein.

I made some myself after it went down a treat mind you I had a bottle of captain Morgan it

At our work Christmas party we had a mulled wine reception. I very happily went to get myself a glass and a colleague who'd never had mulled wine before also took a glass. He took one sip, grimaced a bit, and handed me his glass. Two mulled wines before dinner; as good a start to a night as one could hope for! :D
    I've had at the xmas markets in Berlin it was -10 degree outside at the market the gluhwein went down lovely. There was red and white gluhwein.

I made some myself after it went down a treat mind you I had a bottle of captain Morgan it

Didn't know white Gluhwein was a thing! I don't like white wine in general so am not too sure how it would go down with me. Depends what it's mulled with, I guess?

• Advertisement
Advertisement