Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you enjoy the YouTubes?

Options
  • 22-12-2015 12:09pm
    Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Hi I've started a YouTube channel, The channel will just follow a very normal irish lad's fitness journey. Healthy meal ideas with the full macros, some training footage, healthy grocery hauls. basically I have taken a lot of aspects I like about other YouTube channels and put an irish spin on it.

I have gotten decent feedback so far and I put a huge amount of effort into the production quality, its as much about the videos being entertaining, high quality and cutting edge as it is about the fitness content. Fitness just happens to be the topic.

I'd really like to get some more eyeballs on the channel so I can get more feedback and improve the direction of the videos.

One series I did recently was to try and cut 17lbs in 5 days to weigh in as a featherweight for UFC 194. You can see that series by clicking on the thumbnails below.
    Spoiler Alert - I failed but I did lose 12.5lbs in 5 days

NfAGAvn.png

My more typical videos are like this:

Oc9Ppz8.jpg

GV5XvEA.jpg

So if thats the kind of thing you are interested in please drop by and have a look. If you like what you see subscribe. Feedback is more than welcome. Thanks for looking guys

FAQs
    • Do you even lift? Yes :(
    • Why another fitness channel? To make creative content, and there are very few irish ones. People often relate to more localised content
    • Will you make a video about X? yes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,560 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Big fan of your work. A lot of people here appreciate the detail on food shops, ideas how to get good meals on poverty macros, what to get and where to get it and also the fact you donate your body to science - Ultimate Diet, the pre-UFC cut etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Can't watch the video with sound as I'm in work, So don't know if you mentioned your thoughts on the new Flyefit, how is it? It looks small in that video.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

I watched the cut vids last week in the run up to the fight, found it interesting.

I've subscribed and will continue to check it out, it's excellent to have an Irish perspective on the meal prep and stuff as its sometimes hard to relate to videos from other countries as most of the products are not available to us.

Keep it up.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Zombienosh wrote: »
    Can't watch the video with sound as I'm in work, So don't know if you mentioned your thoughts on the new Flyefit, how is it? It looks small in that video.

Its huge, definitely bigger than Macken Street. Well kitted out but no flat benches that I could see and racks dont have great adjustability. Some discussion here

For the price and location its hard to complain tbh. Be interesting to see how busy it gets. On a December Friday evening it was grand

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Love the videos! Thanks for sharing them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Keep up the good work chief, if you keep building it eventually you will get traction and unimaginable quantities of YouTube dollars.

Lots of people on Instagram, YouTube (not so many Irish!) etc. doing something similar but with more focus on themselves rather than actual decent content like yours...there's only so man tanned selfie shots I can absorb. You cover the food side of things better than anyone as well as giving a rough cost which is good because the money some fitness folk spend on food is ridiculous; not just talking supplements but just in general and while it's sustainable it's still just silly money for no reason. Your poverty meals are great and require minimal prep, no €500 worth of equipment required to get started either as most of them are 1 pot jobs (less cleaning I feel dat).

I'm rambling now but I actually think the main difference is you're one of the few people who works a normal office job (not a personal trainer) and does this stuff, as a result you do things in a more manageable way than everyone else. If your videos were available a few years ago you'd have saved me many slow years of trial and error.

Lol'd at the coconut oil in the coffee btw, can't get my head around people enjoying that but different people have different tastes I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,819 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

jive wrote: »
    Keep up the good work chief, if you keep building it eventually you will get traction and unimaginable quantities of YouTube dollars.

I read recently that you have to have at least 500,000 subscribers before you even get close to being able to give up any day job and make a living on Youtube.
    Lol'd at the coconut oil in the coffee btw, can't get my head around people enjoying that but different people have different tastes I guess!

It tastes REALLY good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

you had me since the father ted reference in day one of the cut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

There are very few irish fitness youtubers out there but the biggest one seems to be rob lipsett who's on around 20k subs I think. I've heard he's a nice enough chap but I think if you focus on content and less on vlogs, full day of eating videos etc. you'll do well as they're just quite boring imo.

The proven way to grow a channel is through collaborations and promotions from bigger channels so you could try some of that if growth is your goal. Staying active in comments sections also attracts attention for a lot of channels too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Really liking your videos. Keep up the good work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,101 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mellor wrote:
    That said, I'm an inquisitive and curious sort myself. Can't begrudge that aspect, and wish him good luck with it.
    IMO water loading alone won't get him to featherweight. I imagine he'll have a "WTF am I doing" moment when he's sitting in the sauna on thursday morning.

Conzy, if you're about, post a bit about this.

I watched the weight cut vlog. Enjoyed it, 17lbs was very optimistic. :D
    I noticed by the 6th day, you appeared a bit mentally foggy. Did you find it hard to focus towards the end.
    That's essentially how I felt when I did it. Trailing off mid sentence and forgetting what I was saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Really enjoyed the videos Conzy. Esp the macros stuff on the meals. Subscribed there, keep it up :)

Mellor wrote: »
    I watched the weight cut vlog. Enjoyed it, 17lbs was very optimistic. :D
    I noticed by the 6th day, you appeared a bit mentally foggy. Did you find it hard to focus towards the end.
    That's essentially how I felt when I did it. Trailing off mid sentence and forgetting what I was saying.

I actually had the weigh in day booked off work because I was pretty useless. Going around like a bit of a zombie.

Worst thing for me was hypertension / chest tightness and the hot baths.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭eire1

Quick question Conzy. When you're eating meals you've had in the freezer, like your savoury mince for example do you take it out night before, thaw it then microwave or put back in the oven from frozen? New to this and not such which one to do.

eire1 wrote: »
    Quick question Conzy. When you're eating meals you've had in the freezer, like your savoury mince for example do you take it out night before, thaw it then microwave or put back in the oven from frozen? New to this and not such which one to do.

Typically if I am eating something the following evening. I will move it from the freezer to the fridge the night before so it thaws over about 24 hours and If I don't end up eating it, It will last another day or two in the fridge.

If I am eating something for lunch sometimes I will take it out that morning and throw it in the gymbag, It will spend all morning in the gym bag and be just about thawed by lunchtime.

And sometimes If I totally forget to take stuff out I will microwave it from frozen. This can take 10-15 mins but seems to work fine for Bolognese / savoury mince type stuff

Generally stuff will keep for 3-4 days. If I cooked something on sunday night I would chance it Thursday, after that its toilet roulette :) If I knew I wasnt going to eat something it would go into the freezer and id make sure to cook it from frozen etc.

If in doubt smell test / bin it!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

I binge watched your videos the other week and really enjoyed them. The shopping videos especially, granted they would have been more relevant to me when I lived in Ireland but I enjoyed them all the same!

Good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

I binge watched your videos the other week and really enjoyed them. The shopping videos especially, granted they would have been more relevant to me when I lived in Ireland but I enjoyed them all the same!

Good work!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

i've watched a few and enjoyed them

weight cut was interesting , a good of somebody torturing themselves :)

Advertisement