Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to buy gym equipment?

Options
  • 20-12-2015 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭

I am currently looking into buying a bench with weights and bar for bench press and then something that resembles a squat rack to start building a gym at home.

I assume thats all I really need as I already have dumbbells and thats alot of exercises covered with those three things

I have no idea where to look for any gym equipment only in argos. Im on a budget and Im fairly new to the gym so I dont need professional equipment. Like 30 - 40kg would be my max bench in the gym and I can squat around 50-70kg so I wouldn't need a tonne of weights (excuse the pun).

What would you recommend I buy and where would be the best place to buy it?

Comments

I recently bought a few bits from D8 fitness. They have a weight pack that includes 140/150 (cant recall which) kg of weight plates with an olympic bar. I bought a few other bits off them (kettlebells, slam ball, etc.) and got a good deal on them. I found them excellent to deal with.

Irish lifting seem to be the best value in terms of buying a power rack (not something I have myself, as I wouldn't be able to fit it into my shed).

Out from that my advice would be to search around adverts/donedeal. The only problem is that people seem to want to sell their weights stuff for the same price you can buy it brand new. If there was any decent saving to be made, all my stuff would be second hand, but as it stands, I was actually probably better off buying brand new.

The bench I use is from Argos. It's not the sturdiest in the world, and does have a little bit of wobble to it (although nothing that you'd worry about) but if I recall correctly, I got a decent deal on it, so..

EDIT: I'd also recommend that you wait a couple of weeks. I'm sure everyone selling fitness stuff will be reducing prices and doing sales galore in the next couple of weeks. "new year, new me", etc. etc. All the fitness shops will surely be flogging stuff at a discount.

Advertisement