Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2016?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Get back running within a reasonable timeframe after the baby arrives and slowly build up distance. Am deferring a London Marathon ballot spot to 2017 so would like to be able to run around a 15-20km LSR comfortably by this time next year.

Started back running in May 5 weeks after the little fella arrived, it's been difficult trying to build endurance while nursing. I did a 11km LSR just over a week ago though and completed a very short triathlon yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

1. Sub 21 5k (Currently at 23:something).
    2. Debut in the longer distances (5m, 10k, 10m, HM).
    3. Complete the Dublin Race Series.
    4. Run more than 1609.34 km.

Two down.

Number 4 is a shoo-in.

Number 1, looking unlikely but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Two down.

Number 4 is a shoo-in.

Number 1, looking unlikely but we'll see.

About four-five weeks after DCM is a good time to attempt this. Jingle Bells downhill course might help. ;)

Murph_D wrote: »
    About four-five weeks after DCM is a good time to attempt this. Jingle Bells downhill course might help. ;)

Would be poetic too. Jingle Bells last year was my first ever race and remains my 5k PB. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Would be poetic too. Jingle Bells last year was my first ever race and remains my 5k PB. :)

Well there you go. It would be wrong not to target JB for your sub-21.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

echancrure wrote: »
    I am not in shape at all in this early and wet January and I probably won't be able to run as much as I wish until September, so conservative goals for me.

#1 get rid of left Achilles niggle and get no new injury
    #2 marathon PB in Cork in June (currently 2:59:17) I'd be very happy with 2:58:xx
    #3 marathon PB in Dublin in October, a more aggressive 2:54:xx
    #4 enjoy Connemara and Dingle marathons
    #5 a PB in either 10k or half-marathon
    #6 make the most of running in France on holidays early in the mornings

See you next year little post; good luck!

#1 Partially: left Achilles niggle is still around, but only when I stay still for too long
    #2 No, failure, didn't train and a hot day 3:29:02
    #3 TBA, still to come, well on target
    #4 Yes Connemara (cold!) and Dingle were great
    #5 Yes PB in half in Dublin 1:23:06 (4' improvement), possible 10k before DCM
    #6 Yes, even ran a 10k race in France, beach running is great

So the big one has yet to be delivered 2:54:xx is well on target

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Looking to get under 19 minutes for 5k.

18:43 on Wednesday evening :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

What's your 5K PB at Max? I'd say you will smash it a month after the Marathon, I might target Jingle Bells myself!

tony1980 wrote: »
    What's your 5K PB at Max? I'd say you will smash it a month after the Marathon, I might target Jingle Bells myself!

It's upper 23 minutes at the moment. Not sure exactly because chip timing didn't work on the day. I've no doubt I'll beat it but smashing it might be a stretch. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭tony1980

It's upper 23 minutes at the moment. Not sure exactly because chip timing didn't work on the day. I've no doubt I'll beat it but smashing it might be a stretch. ;)

Id say you will have that at sub 22 at Jingle Bells, that would be smashing it to me. I done a sub 23 prior to the Marathon training at a park run so hopefully sub 22 will come in Dec for me too. You never know, we might make a sub 21 ;-)

• Advertisement

No pressure then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

echancrure wrote: »
    I am not in shape at all in this early and wet January and I probably won't be able to run as much as I wish until September, so conservative goals for me.

#1 get rid of left Achilles niggle and get no new injury
    #2 marathon PB in Cork in June (currently 2:59:17) I'd be very happy with 2:58:xx
    #3 marathon PB in Dublin in October, a more aggressive 2:54:xx
    #4 enjoy Connemara and Dingle marathons
    #5 a PB in either 10k or half-marathon
    #6 make the most of running in France on holidays early in the mornings

See you next year little post; good luck!

2nd and last update for 2016.

#1 Done: I am all clear
    #2 No, failure, didn't train and a hot day 3:29:02
    #3 Totally smashed DCM 2016: 2:49:20
    #4 Yes Connemara (cold!) and Dingle were great
    #5 Yes PB in half in Dublin 1:23:06 (4' improvement) AND 10k in 37:10 (1' improvement)
    #6 Yes, even ran a 10k race in France, beach running is great

Great year for me. Hope you had a good one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Ed Mc Groarty

220km + in 24hrs 2016 and an Irish jersey in 2017 thank you very much

Hit 213km which I was still delighted with pb'ing by 17km,
    and I haven't given up on that Jersey yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

2016 goals:

1. a sub-3 marathon (bonus goal: under 2:55:08)
    2. 220 km in a 24 hrs race (bonus goal: over 225.3)
    3. finish Spartathlon under 33:29:04 (bonus goal: under 32 hrs)

:(

1. Nope. 3:01:02
    2. Nope. 207.2
    3. Nope.

The way I see it, I was well overdue a disappointing year. The last one had been in 2009.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Enduro

The way I see it, I was well overdue a disappointing year. The last one had been in 2009.

The lower the trough, the higher the peak. Recoverng from bad races definitely makes the successes sweeter. Best of luck for next year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

tang1 wrote: »
    Start this off, 2015 has been a good years running for me because I didn't succomb to injury for first time ran 1,000 miles in the calendar year ran an unexpected PB over 10k. 2016 goals as follows:

1. Run Rotterdam marathon in April.
    2. Stay injury free once more.
    3. Run 1,500 miles.
    4. Everything else is a bonus.

What about the rest of yiz?

Quick update on these:

1. Check - 3.24.44 in my marathon debut in Rotterdam.
    2. Touch wood, only 3 weeks of 2016 left and no injuries.
    3. Will have this ticked by next week all going well.
    4. PB's at 5k and 10 mile this year also, so all in all a pretty decent running year for me.

More of the same to come hopefully in 2017

1. Sub 21 5k (Currently at 23:something).
    2. Debut in the longer distances (5m, 10k, 10m, HM).
    3. Complete the Dublin Race Series.
    4. Run more than 1609.34 km.

3 out of 4 ain't bad.

I never went after the 5k and did a marathon instead, but still got the 5k down to 22:19 as a result. All in all, a good year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Quote:
    Originally Posted by IvoryTower View Post
    1. Race 400m indoors - done
    2. Race 800n - Hopefully later in the year
    3. upped to 54sec
    4. Race 200m
    All done so will add some new goals until new year. Setting goals certainly seems to help.

5k pb (19.45), close to 19 would be nice
    Cross country novice pb
    Run intermediate cc
    Squat 100kg+

Good year for me

400m - 54.85
    5k - 19.02
    Ran novice, intermediate & senior xc! Will do these every year now
    Didn't come close to squatting 100kg but on the plus side I still go to the gym twice a week

More of the same next year, I await the new thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

spaceylou wrote: »
    Second half of 2015 was a bit of a disaster with injury, lack of motivation, yada yada yada so for 2016:

Main Goals
    1. Give sufficient time to S&C every week
    2. Avoid injury (hopefully helped by 1)
    3. Run half marathon in <1:59:59
    4. Run, finish and most importantly ENJOY DCM16

Secondary Goals
    5. Run more races - esp 5k and 10k
    6. Improve PB for 5k and 10k
    7. Run in new places.

Update on these...

1. Wouldn't say I've been giving sufficient time to S&C but I am better than I was :o
    2. I have remained largely injury free and hopefully that will continue for the rest of the year and into 2017
    3. Didn't even come close to this one. Dublin half in the race series was the only HM I did and I just didn't have it in me on the day :(
    4. Pretty much got that one. Can't say I enjoyed each and every moment but I did enjoy the overall experience :D
    5. Yeah I ran a few :P
    6. 10k pb (56:29 July) and 5k pb (26:15 Dec) :D
    7. Lanzarote, previously unexplored parts of Dublin, Kilkenny, Co Waterford, Royal Canal - think I can say I did this one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Ososlo wrote: »
    Continue to love my running and continue not to get injured. That alone is enough. However, ….
    Love it more than ever if that's possible, and only missed 3 days with small niggles.

Run 3,000 + miles for the year
    Just done :D

Run Connemara ultra at a decent pace – don’t have a clue what time to aim for. 9:30 min/miles maybe
    Ended up in hospital the week before so didn't happen.

Run secret bucket-list ultra race, and not die during or after it :), and be proud of result
    Done (Belfast) and done (still alive) and done (100.7 miles) :D

Run DCM if still alive. God I dunno what I’d hope for here but well under 4 hours. Let’s say 3:45ish and try not to laugh too loudly :pac:
    Did a 12 hour race after Belfast so wasn't recovered enough to do DCM. With focused training, who knows. Maybe next year.

Bring down times of all shorter distances from 5k to half. No specific targets – just improve them all as much as I’m capable of, off no specific training. Sub 23 5k would be very nice
    Didn't attempt any of these, as I've realized you can't train for 24 hour races and do much speed work for the shorter distances - well I can't anyway. I'd just end up injured. 24 hours and then 12 hour races ended up being only focuses for the year. Don't regret that one bit. I have years of running ahead of me to bring down the times of the shorter stuff.

Have my first Boardsie running date…… maybe ;) but who?
    Done:D Aero2k joined me for the last 10 miles of a 28 mile training run in the Phoenix Park so this one ticked off too, thanks aero:D Also a bonus short run with Singer in Santry and a lovely few chatty miles with AMK in the Phoenix Park.

All in all, I'm delighted with my year and how it's panned out and feel very lucky to have achieved the above and my unplanned 12 hour race was a huge highlight this year. More of the same next year hopefully.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

tailgunner wrote: »
    My main goal this year is to do more races.

Time goals:

5k: 21:59 - Current PB is a very soft 24:38.
    10k: 47:59 - Haven't raced this distance yet, but managed 55:43 during a half marathon.
    Half: 1:44:59 - Current PB is 1:58:45.
    Marathon: 3:59:59 - Berlin will be my first marathon.

These are all very aggressive, so not sure if I'll get near any of them, but no point setting the bar too low I suppose.

I did more races, but not nearly as many as I had originally envisioned.

Ran 22:25 in a 5k in May, so I figured I was well on the way to hitting that goal. As it happens, I got caught up in marathon training and haven't raced the distance since. Still hoping I'll tick it off this month.

Ran 48:20 in a 10k back in March. Again, thought I'd have loads of opportunities to hit the goal, but it never really happened. Made a half-arsed attempt at it last week, but fell short, running 48:42. Bit disappointed with this one, as it was there for the taking for most of the year.

1:49:36 was the best I could manage for the half, but I only raced it once this year, back in April. Not too bothered about this one - I'm planning on targeting two half marathons as goal races next year.

3:58:49 for the marathon. Delighted to hit this goal, as it was by far the one I wanted most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

I don't think I put my goals in the thread, but I wrote some in my running journal at the end of last year. They were:

1) Run consistently
    2) Go to speed sessions
    3) Get picked for National Road Relays
    4) Break 20 mins for 5k
    5) 10k pb
    6) 10 mile PB

1) I have run PRETTY consistently. Some weeks have had lower mileage than I would have liked, and I missed about 10 days totally due to two chest infections, but I haven't really been injured, which is good.

2) I have been PRETTY good about speed sessions - in the summer it was a long 2-bus-journey to the track that I made most weeks; I've missed the last 2 weeks on grass due to a cough, but have been there quite a lot. :)

3) I got picked! Slight poisoned chalice as they needed me on the A team due to lack of uninjured A-team-type runners, and I felt v outclassed, but I worked hard in the run up to it to be fast enough to be selected, so mission accomplished.

4) Yes! Did it!! At LAST!

5) Close, but no cigar! PB from The Lakes 2015 is 42.32. I ran 42.40 in the WMM 2016 - was happy with this as it was a very warm day & I felt I ran well. Hoped to PB at the Lakes 2016, but I had a bad day and felt awful for half the race. Next year!

6) Didn't run a 10-mile race at all! Missed signing up for Ballycotton and then was sick for the Race Series 10 mile.

The last aim I had, that came up during the year, was to be able to take part in the Kincora2Passage relay we (Raheny) did for our club-mate, Ronan, who died in March. We ran a continuous relay from Clontarf to Passage East in Waterford (10 mile laps, and then finishing with a 5 mile race into Passage). It was an amazing weekend, everything went smoothly, I was team leader on a ten-mile leg in the Kilkenny section and kept my group alive on the roads and together, and then ran myself into the ground racing the 5-miler. The whole weekend was probably the best thing I did all year and the organisation and dedication that went into it from Ronan's family and the committee was just amazing. My husband was up for more than 24-hours taking photos, and people drove all night, spent weeks researching the route etc and between sponsorship and fundraisers we raised about 40 grand for the hospices, so for this event alone I'd say I had a great running year in 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Would like to get my 5km time under 30mins (currently 31min 37sec).
    Try to get 10km time under 60mins (currently 1hr, 4mins, 15sec).

Did a 3km yesterday in 17mins 31sec so I'm ending the year on a buzz and a bit of optimism for the year ahead. 2015 was my year to get into 10kms and did 4 organized races. Have 6 (that I know of) penciled in the calendar for 2016.

Ha I got one by the skin of my teeth. Got a 5km race earlier in the year in 29:59! But after that the year got away on me. I had planned on focussing on 10km's this year to get my time nearer to the hour mark. But many of the 10km I had ear marked for the year got over ruled by hens, stags, weddings and other things. Gosh I think I got 4 10kms raced this year, and 2 of them weren't in my start of year schedule. Have one scheduled for this Saturday (Aware 10km) but not looking likely as I'm dosed up with everything going!
    In fairness I've clocked in over 700 kms this year and my average 5km time has gone down a bit. The 10kms that I raced were close to my pb time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Starting running training today. Have done 5k before and pb in 27mins.

Goals for year
    1. Sub 25 min 5k
    2. 10k by may
    3. Half marathon by September
    4. Loose 1st and tone up
    5. Be healthier and happier

shaunac93 wrote: »

Goals for year
    1. Sub 25 min 5k
    2. 10k by may
    4. Loose 1st and tone up

That's a lot to be getting through in the next 25 days! :D

shaunac93 wrote: »

Goals for year
    1. Sub 25 min 5k
    2. 10k by may
    4. Loose 1st and tone up

Not a hope on the Half Marathon goal!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

tang1 wrote:
    Not a hope on the Half Marathon goal!!!!

That's a lot to be getting through in the next 25 days!

My bad though it was a 2017 thread...ignore me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Sandwell

Sandwell wrote: »
    Sub-17 5k Yep
    Sub-36 10k Didn't race one
    Sub-60 10 mile Yep
    Sub 1:20 half-marathon Didn't race one
    Finish top 10 in a couple of IMRA races Only managed this once.
    Sandwell wrote: »
    An additional goal now is a sub 3 marathon. Yep

I'm delighted with how this year went. I had some injury problems from April to June which put an end to a planned 5/10km training block. The focus then became getting in shape for the Dublin marathon which couldn't have went better. The icing on the cake was a 'bonus' PB at the Jingle Bells 5k last weekend where I took almost 40 seconds off my previous best to go sub 17 for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Firedance wrote: »
    1. stay injury free
    2. half - 2:05 initially to 1:59:xx by year end. - Tick
    3. Marathon - run Rotterdam
    4. 10k - 49:xx
    5. more XC races - Tick
    Firedance wrote: »
    I think its time for a quarter 1 adjustment biggrin.png

1. get well asap (still a work in progress).
    2 1:50 half - possible target is Athlone half
    3 Marathon - DCM
    4. 10k 49:xx (hoping to target Dunshauglin if better)
    5. more XC races

Okay I didn't achieve a lot of my goals BUT... I did achieve other ones!

- New 5K PB (24:25)
    - My first hill run (RTL) in a decent time (for me obviously)
    - Improved my XC speed over last year & passed more competitors in every race.
    - New 2 mile PB
    - A new found love for cycling! (am I allowed say that here :pac:)
    - A new respect for making the most of the good days

The year is not over yet, I've one more goal to aim for but will take a 'see how it goes' approach :) Strava has me at 899.9 miles running YTD, I won't make the 1,000 this year but with 929 on the bike I'll make do with 1,000 there instead.

• Advertisement

Okay I didn't achieve a lot of my goals BUT... I did achieve other ones!

- New 5K PB (24:25)
    - My first hill run (RTL) in a decent time (for me obviously)
    - Improved my XC speed over last year & passed more competitors in every race.
    - New 2 mile PB
    - A sub 7 min mile
    - A new found love for cycling! (am I allowed say that here :pac:)
    - A new respect for making the most of the good days

The year is not over yet, I've one more goal to aim for but will take a 'see how it goes' approach :) Strava has me at 899.9 miles running YTD, I won't make the 1,000 this year but with 929 on the bike I'll make do with 1,000 there instead.

Oh so that's who you are.........

Advertisement