Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMRA season 2016

Options
  • 17-12-2015 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭

The first race of the new Winter/Spring league is on Sunday 17 January 2016 @12. A nice run around Howth head.

www.imra.ie/events

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Wild Garlic

The first race of the new Winter/Spring league is on Sunday 17 January 2016 @12. A nice run around Howth head.

www.imra.ie/events
    I'd say you were checking that all day :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

I'd say you were checking that all day :D

My f5 button is fvcked

Boardman cycling tops reduced at halfords, ideal for storing your rain coat in the back pocket:
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductMobileDisplay?msg=&catalogId=15551&langId=-1&categoryId=241556&productId=1125432&storeId=11101

(Have to give my bro SloggerJogger credit for this idea!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Djoucer

Be careful with the yellow cycling jerseys. Frowned upon by the cycling community. You'll be called a Fred!

Cycling superstore has bicycle line cycling jerseys for sale on dec 24th for €26, reduced from €65.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Has anyone come across running tops with similar pockets? I'm not mad about running in cycling tops, and tri tops tend to be a bit snug.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭DogSlySmile

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Has anyone come across running tops with similar pockets? I'm not mad about running in cycling tops, and tri tops tend to be a bit snug.

WAA do something similar

http://www.waa-ultra.com/fr/textile/63-ultra-carrier-shirt.html

Looks fairly snug though

Looks good though, an incentive to work hard on your core before taking it out for a wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

I think Dunnes are starting a new range of sports clothes, I saw a sample of exactly that - a running technical Tee with pockets on the back.

In other news - the magnificent seven are released;

Sun Jan 17 12PM Howth Winter - 201m 5.15km 6
    Sun Jan 31 12PM Hellfire Spring - 260m 5.00km 4
    Sat Feb 13 12PM Brockagh Burst - 200m 6.00km 4
    Sun Feb 28 11AM Ticknock Winter - 330m 7.80km 7
    Sat Mar 5 11AM Trooperstown Hill - 380m 10.60km 6
    Sat Mar 12 12PM Annagh Hill - 370m 11.00km 8
    Sat Mar 19 11AM Maulin Winter League Route - 538m 7.50k

Djouce woods social run on 27th Dec at 10am, you won't even have time to be hungover!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

Peterx wrote: »
    I think Dunnes are starting a new range of sports clothes, I saw a sample of exactly that - a running technical Tee with pockets on the back.

In other news - the magnificent seven are released;

Sun Jan 17 12PM Howth Winter - 201m 5.15km 6
    Sun Jan 31 12PM Hellfire Spring - 260m 5.00km 4
    Sat Feb 13 12PM Brockagh Burst - 200m 6.00km 4
    Sun Feb 28 11AM Ticknock Winter - 330m 7.80km 7
    Sat Mar 5 11AM Trooperstown Hill - 380m 10.60km 6
    Sat Mar 12 12PM Annagh Hill - 370m 11.00km 8
    Sat Mar 19 11AM Maulin Winter League Route - 538m 7.50k

Great stuff. Anybody have any GPS details for the current Howth route from the golfcourse?

• Advertisement

The thing with Howth is that it depends on the race director. With the GAA club out for use (if it still is) as a start and finish, and with the winter course shorter than the summer, it's likely to be a course never ran in recent years, if at all.

Prepare for the worst case scenario of two loops of the two summits ;)

And a spin out and back into the golf course for some!

Prepare for the worst case scenario of two loops of the two summits ;)
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    And a spin out and back into the golf course for some!

OK. So its like the old course except an extra summit loop and starting and finishing section at a different place. Nasty enough, going up that steep climb the second time will be horrible. Still a long way to go from there too (when you're already banjaxed). Closer to 7k than the 5.5k (old course) with the two big loops

The two loops were done during the summer to make up the longer distance. One should be enough for the winter, it will probably be more or less the same as the regular winter route with the start/finish moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hi,

Ran this today
    https://www.strava.com/activities/453985731
    A few sections to tweak but its looking like a good testing course.
    Very slippy on the climb back after the middle descent. Might have to vary this if it doesn't improve as I couldn't find traction at all for moments :-).

Regards,

Mick

Hi,

Ran this today
    https://www.strava.com/activities/453985731
    A few sections to tweak but its looking like a good testing course.
    Very slippy on the climb back after the middle descent. Might have to vary this if it doesn't improve as I couldn't find traction at all for moments :-).

Regards,

Mick

Hi Mick. I see its different from the 2011 + 2012 course. There was some fireroad and the climb back up then was on decent all weather ground. After the initial descent and right turn over the wall it was a bit sloppy but after that was all pretty good. The route you have there is probably better but the old route was a pretty safe all weather bet (2011 was bad) on what is a tough course.

Cant do it unfortunetely as im doing the Debra half. Gutted.

Hi,
    Yep, familiar with all those trails. Trying to avoid fire road this time around which we are manage apart from the start and finish stretch.
    Would be happy T to do a recce some time if you were around for an easy run down this way.
    Cheers,
    Mick

Might have to vary this if it doesn't improve as I couldn't find traction at all for moments :-).

Traction? Sure that's just a summer thing.

Good excuse to bring out the big lugs.

Ahead of 2016, when is it better to hike up a hill rather than run it?

Anything above 15 degrees it seems it's better to walk.

http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/the-optimal-slope-for-running-uphill

Djoucer wrote: »
    Traction? Sure that's just a summer thing.

Good excuse to bring out the big lugs.

Ahead of 2016, when is it better to hike up a hill rather than run it?

Anything above 15 degrees it seems it's better to walk.

http://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/the-optimal-slope-for-running-uphill

More efficient to walk, not necessarily better.The study stated "At all angles and speeds tested, both walking and running involved having at least one foot on the ground at all times". If that is a prerequisite for the test then it would affect the efficiency of the running reps as the achilles is nullified to some extent.

It depends on the runner but Im pretty sure that all of the records on Irish champ races < 90 mins were not set by walking. For very steep prolonged slopes and in long races there is something in it, Enduro will know there. Shorter races (which are not vertical kms) usually better to run IMO.

• Advertisement

demfad wrote: »
    It depends on the runner but Im pretty sure that all of the records on Irish champ races < 90 mins were not set by walking. For very steep prolonged slopes and in long races there is something in it, Enduro will know there. Shorter races (which are not vertical kms) usually better to run IMO.

Good points.

My initial post was more of a question on people's experiences rather than the study's findings.

Wouldn't agree on races less than 90 minutes. I've seen some pretty fast runners hiking in LL races less than 10km.

Biggest problem with hiking in race is psychological, much harder to convince yourself to start running again.

Good points.
    Wouldn't agree on races less than 90 minutes. I've seen some pretty fast runners hiking in LL races less than 10km.

You can cover the ground fast-ish but you shouldn't set any records IMO.
    Lenihan's Carrauntoohil record of 71 mins (and all his Irish records) was all running, as John Brooks record on Galtee's and Croagh Patrick (42 mins).

You can do fine with walking and it depends on the person, but running is better on those shorter races if the runner is fit enough to do both and this would be even more pronounced on the LL races.

I agree about the difficulty in changing between. There is a physical element too. Practice makes perfect though. I never practiced race walking and ive paid for it in races where i wasnt able to run all the way.

On Annagh there are short sections which are 20% grade. I found it more efficient to walk but that's an old man talking :p
    Ye are welcome to come down, racing or reccing, and try alternate strategies.

On Annagh there are short sections which are 20% grade. I found it more efficient to walk but that's an old man talking :p
    Ye are welcome to come down, racing or reccing, and try alternate strategies.

Ill try and swing a free weekend morning and give you a shout in advance.

Good points.

My initial post was more of a question on people's experiences rather than the study's findings.

Biggest problem with hiking in race is psychological, much harder to convince yourself to start running again.

Just thought more about that and I do think there is something in the study. I used to perform well in League races up to about 40 mins long but struggled in anything longer/more intense. I reasoned that each race has a minimum strength requirement. When you are strong enough (don't fade physically) you can concentrate on covering the ground faster.

Races are about finishing as fast as you can. If the runner will be mixing and matching walking and running then the proportion will depend on the runner's strenghts and the course. The Lenihans, Brysons, Brooks etc can run more of the race but they too will have a point where running + walking becomes faster.

John Lenihan always advised to try and run everything. I know that John Brooks tried to run everything he came across and were talking several big Scottish mountains in runs for him.

When I advise novices training for the Warriors run I tell them to "walk early" because it seems pointless to burn the legs out just to keep running for another minute probably gaining no time. My best time on Carrauntoohil was with a "walk early" strategy. I got an OK time then simply because I didn't fade. Clearly I wasn't strong enough to run it all. But if the race turned at the first peak I was grand. (hate racing that f**in' ridge).

The guy who won the warriors run surprisingly said that he walked a small portion of the climb. Anyone who does the race will probably know the bit he means. He said he could have ran it, but walking was the fastest way for him to complete the race. He also said he saw the lead guys in the World champs also walking up hills.

I think the study tells us that there is a point for every runner where walking is more efficient and there is another point where walking will improve race time. For the likes of Annagh hill I'd advise anyone to study the route and decide if and where the walking will happen. And start walking a little before the burn gets too hot.

If you are going to be walking in races then you should be practising that in training too.

Ian Corless has done fairly comprehensive post on this subject.

He's looked at it before and cites a few different research papers. He also has a look at the use of poles.

He does note that: "Importantly though, research confirms that walking should be a key element in any training plan."

http://iancorless.org/2015/12/22/running-or-walking-efficiency-when-climbing/

It is a problem, it's almost like a listlessness or inertia sets in.

On the other hand, it's a psychological problem and I think you can train to overcome it. Just by repetition, constantly forcing yourself to start again while still ascending - not so much to gain time but to demonstrate to yourself that you can "turn it on". It's still an issue, but I find I can start up again more easily. And of course, on the psychology, it's always nice to appear to be cruising past someone going uphill...even if inside you're dying...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Notwork Error

Any news on the dates for the Munster League yet? Going to try get a few mountain races in again this year after missing everything last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 ultrarunner

Munster IMRA races up until April are now posted. I see there's a new Ballyhoura Mountain Ultra to complement the marathon and half on the same day. It's a great event.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭inigo

Munster IMRA races up until April are now posted. I see there's a new Ballyhoura Mountain Ultra to complement the marathon and half on the same day. It's a great event.

Any chance of a link to the route, even from a previous year?

Advertisement