Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do you consider to be rude/bad manners?

• 17-12-2015 12:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭

I thought of this as I was reading the tipping thread and someone mentioned that they tidy up after themselves in a restaurant. It bothers me when people in a fast food place don't put away their tray and put their rubbish in the bin. What do the people of AH find rude or unmannerly?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

**** on public transport!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,731 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Not saying please or thank you.

Also when she won't swallow, The height of rudeness imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭valoren

Door etiquette.

Not holding the door for someone you know is behind you.
    Not making any gesture of thanks when the door is held open for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭Medusa22

When cashiers put your change on the counter even though you have your hand out for it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Skipping queues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

all the above but most of all being late.
    if you arrange to meet someone at 9.00pm anything beyond 9.10pm is in my book extremely rude without a very very good excuse ( serious accident, sudden serious illness, death in the family)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Medusa22 wrote: »
    It bothers me when people in a fast food place don't put away their tray and put their rubbish in the bin. What do the people of AH find rude or unmannerly?

Why does this bother you?

They call themselves restaurants, and as in any other restaurant, i'm not going to bring my plate into the kitchen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

valoren wrote: »
    Door etiquette.

Not holding the door for someone you know is behind you.
    Not making any gesture of thanks when the door is held open for you.

I will expand your point about not making gestures of thanks to driving. I often let cars out of side streets if I'm in a queue of traffic. Most people nod, finger wave, thumps up etc. Those who don't after being let out I feel like demolition derbying their ass. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

When cashiers put your change on the counter even though you have your hand out for it.

Barman in one of my locals does that,in fairness his wife is a complete hound,so i don't think too much about it. Poor f*cker.

farmchoice wrote: »
    if you arrange to meet someone at 9.00pm anything beyond 9.10pm is in my book extremely rude without a very very good excuse ( serious accident, sudden serious illness, death in the family)

Oh the lateness thing kills me.

If you agree with someone to be somewhere at a specific time and you turn up late, with no notice or excuse, you are basically saying "my time is more important than yours".

These are the kind of people i stop making plans to meet up with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

People who don't flush the toilet after using it. Either in their home or elsewhere. Manky mingers.

People who don't push their chairs in after they get up and leave them strewn around the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Menas wrote: »
    People who don't flush the toilet after using it. Either in their home or elsewhere. Manky mingers.

Or people who miss the seat. I don't mean just the bowl, the whole seat. It shouldn't be that hard to control. It's hardly a fireman's hose.

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Why does this bother you?

They call themselves restaurants, and as in any other restaurant, i'm not going to bring my plate into the kitchen.

The trays and bins are provided so the customers can do this themselves and it is expected of them. I'd never feel comfortable leaving my rubbish on a table for someone to pick up after me when I can do it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,933 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Oh the lateness thing kills me.

If you agree with someone to be somewhere at a specific time and you turn up late, with no notice or excuse, you are basically saying "my time is more important than yours".

These are the kind of people i stop making plans to meet up with.

If you are aged under about 40 you have no idea how much timekeeping has improved in Ireland. There was a time when it was almost impossible to make any arrangements at all for anything.

One example was a table quiz a group of us went to that was due to start at 7.30. At 8.30 there was still no sign of it starting, at about 8.45 someone casually turned up and I think the quiz started about 9.30, but by that time we had lost interest and left. And it was by no means exceptional.

Eventually people got fed up waiting for stragglers and started, say, meetings on time, and refused to update late comers. Now most things do actually happen when they are supposed to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

The trays and bins are provided so the customers can do this themselves and it is expected of them. I'd never feel comfortable leaving my rubbish on a table for someone to pick up after me when I can do it myself.

And it helps to keep the prices down which Is what we like about fast food places. Fast and cheap.

And it helps to keep the prices down which Is what we like about fast food places. Fast and cheap.

Just like yourself :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Or people who miss the seat. I don't mean just the bowl, the whole seat. It shouldn't be that hard to control. It's hardly a fireman's hose.

Never had a bout of trick shots first thing in the morning? Sure yesterday morning, standing square and true aiming for dead centre. The stream went 90 degrees off to the right from the aim point and hit my right foot. Think I need a funnel and laser sight on it sometimes

Some days you just don't know till you let it flow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

When you're talking to someone and instead of listening, they're just waiting, mouth slightly agape, for their turn to speak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

This in reverse. I used to work in retail and the most ignorant thing in the world is when a customer puts the money down on the counter instead of handing it directly to you. I find it very dismissive.

I mean obviously there are hundreds of rude things people do to people working in shops/restaurants so I won't start into that. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Flutterby80

When customers throw their money down on the counter instead of handing it to you ( I hold my hand out until they pick it up and give it to me!) Or, even worse, holding a conversation on the phone while you are serving them. Some people lack even the most basic manners!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

A gentleman not laying his cape upon a muddy puddle so that the soles of a lady's shoes stay dry and clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 GenGenie

People that correct your grammar/spelling...so rude.

Who are you? My teacher/parent???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

People who talk over you or interrupt you mid-sentence.
    People who start checking their phone mid-conversation WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE DO THIS.
    People who don't say 'excuse me' and 'thanks' when you stand up to let them out from the window seat on a bus/train and instead just plough passed you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,923 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Not thanking me when I leave you pull out of your parking spot/junction etc. Cunce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭R.D. aka MR.D

GenGenie wrote: »
    People that correct your grammar/spelling...so rude.

Who are you? My teacher/parent???

Oh this bothers me so much!!!!

I'm actually an English language teacher so am well aware of grammar rules etc as I spend hours a day involved in correcting students.

When I'm not at work, I'll talk however the **** I want to talk, grammatically correct or not.

It's rare in real life (my oh does it to bug me though) but it's rife on the internet. I treat this little box I'm typing in like my mouth. I'm 'speaking' conversationally, I don't care if it's perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Never had a bout of trick shots first thing in the morning? Sure yesterday morning, standing square and true aiming for dead centre. The stream went 90 degrees off to the right from the aim point and hit my right foot. Think I need a funnel and laser sight on it sometimes

Suppose you're right. Two streams is the worst. How does that even happen?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Fast, cheap and rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

OK, and then you just leave it like that?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

The other day a lady's bag blew away from her in the car park and I caught it and went to hand it back to her, she ripped it out of my hand, no thank you, just turned and walked away. Pure ignorant behaviour.

I also have a problem with people who cant ever be on time, its hugely disrespectful of someone's time. I'm not talking five minutes or being late and texting, I'm talking half an hour and just showing up.
    My in laws are like this and it drives me bonkers, its to the point of ridiculousness now that we tell them a meeting time an hour before we need them and theyre still late!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

beks101 wrote: »
    People who talk over you or interrupt you mid-sentence.
    People who start checking their phone mid-conversation WHY DO SO MANY PEOPLE DO THIS.
    People who don't say 'excuse me' and 'thanks' when you stand up to let them out from the window seat on a bus/train and instead just plough passed you.

Because you're so fcuking boring :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Being ignored by a member of staff as a customer. Being ignored by a customer as a member of staff. If you can't acknowledge someone, you're good for fcuk all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

When you're speaking to someone and you catch their eyes drifting into space. Scumbags.

farmchoice wrote: »

I'm odd about the time keeping thing, I hate being late. Hate hate hate it. I get really really stressed and upset - like properly worked up - if there is any chance of me being late to something. It's a very rare thing to happen with me, but it can happen when things are out of your control, something stupid can happen where you can't find your car keys or the likes.

So when someone is running a few minutes late I would rather they calmed the fcuk down and arrived stress free and not be worrying about being a few minutes late because I know what it feels like and it's not nice and life's too short to be stressing about those things.

All that said, if someone is constantly late, and doesn't seem to think that there's anything wrong with it - then that's downright rude and I've no time for that.

Yeah there's a world of difference between being late with good intentions and being late because you can't be arsed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

I thought of this as I was reading the tipping thread and someone mentioned

Interrupting!! As in, constantly! Fair enough if you're excited about something and do it on occasion & acknowledge it. But constant interruptions do my head in and spoil a conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Not reciprocating when I give the one finger salute when I'm driving. :(

Ruu wrote: »

Stop giving them your middle finger Ruu.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭kimokanto

Supermarket queue & person in front packs all their bags,loads their trolley, slooowly, before fumbling for wallet/purse to pay cashier. Boils my pis$! Good reason to shop in Aldi/Lidl. No chance to do this cos ur stuff has been horsed thru like drowning man bailing water from a sinking boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,708 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

One finger, you say?

How rude!

• Advertisement

Give them the farmer's wave, everybody responds to that. If they don't want a bale lifter through their back quarter panel they do anyway.

Hungover, post-sex peeing is the worst thing on the planet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_8Y5rUu0LM

When someone sits on the outside seat of a packed bus/train, and the inside seat is free. Also when they don't get up so you have to squeeze past them to get into the seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Tricky subject that.I try my best not to sh1te in other people's houses.As a beer drinker, I often get the 'Aero effect' while defacating.In layman's terms, a common or garden floater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Stop giving them your middle finger Ruu.

Ahhhhhh okay, now I see. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Chewing with an open mouth.

There was a guy behind me on the bus yesterday who had gum in his mouth and was like a cow chewing cud.

In layman's terms, a common or garden floater.

*hushed Attenborough tone*

"And there it is! Isn't that magnificent? The Lesser spotted Pancracker in its natural habitat"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭dubstarr

People who hop on the bus and bypass the queue.Worst offenders are usually the older generation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,526 ✭✭✭valoren

*hushed Attenborough tone*

"And there it is! Isn't that magnificent? The Lesser spotted Pancracker in its natural habitat"

:D

People who feel the need to TALK REALLY LOUDLY no matter how quiet the room is or how close the person they're conversing with is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement