Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handling the Big Guns: The Key to the Rest of the Season?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I have the same dilemma.

Going with Costa, Kun and an other.

Currently keeping Kane over Lukaku as their fixtures could not be any more different.

Kane - LEIC, SUNDERLAND, crystal palace, norwich, WATFORD

Lukaku - man city, chelsea, SWANSEA, NEWCASTLE, stoke

Everton have 2 extra games in the league cup in that time frame.

Kane is on penos also.

Form over fixtures though. Lukaku is on a crazy run at the minute.

FHFC wrote: »
    Are you going to get rid of Kane before Leicester and Sunderland at home? Or maybe you don't have him actually. If so change that to a hypothetical question! :)

Nope. I have 2 fts. Walcott to Alli and Vardy to Aguero will be my moves this week.

I'll then assess Kane and move him on probably after the Sunderland game for Costa.

Alli will be my Spurs attacking coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Lemlin wrote: »
    Nope. I have 2 fts. Walcott to Alli and Vardy to Aguero will be my moves this week.

I'll then assess Kane and move him on probably after the Sunderland game for Costa.

Those 2 transfers will I think leave your front 8 very similar to mine currently. Except I'm still carrying a strong 8 with Arnie where I think you have Wanyama. Edit. You've KdB too actually where I'll probably do Walcott to Payet.

I'll probably hold fire on Costa till then too. Kane could seriously punish non owners in the next 2 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,141 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

This is more and more my thinking.

Costa is a different player to the start of the season. He's running in behind and is actually a goal threat. He will score well for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

SlickRic wrote: »
    Aguero back.

Sanchez returning soon.

Arguably, these are the two most explosive players in the game. In years gone by you'd have to have Aguero and Suarez, or Ronaldo and Lampard, in order to compete at all.

This year is nuts - the year of the mid-price option. Vardez has run amok. Ighalo is on fire. Ozil was 8.5, and has no decided to be prolific FF-wise.

A lot of teams that are doing well above me have had neither of these players all season (even when doing the business), and in the case of at least one player (who got to 1st in the world), he has no intention of ever having them because they're 'too expensive'.

I believe they hold the key to a lot of people getting back into their mini-leagues, and overtaking some of the teams that we're slightly baffled we're behind.

What are your thoughts? Will you be getting them at all costs? Or will you be trusting that the 'year of the mid-price option' continues unabated?

It's hard to argue with form. For that reason i'm keeping Lukaku Ighalo and Kane as my front 3. I'm on wildcard currently. I'm not dismissing Aguero or Sanchez, but they have to prove themselves basically. Explosive is definitely one thing they can both be though. For that reason i'll be keeping £4M+ in the kitty, which should enable me to get either one in pretty easily.

This season is fc*king nuts though. For that reason i'm not ruling out getting in Lewis Grabban at some stage

• Advertisement

manual_man wrote: »
    It's hard to argue with form. For that reason i'm keeping Lukaku Ighalo and Kane as my front 3. I'm on wildcard currently. I'm not dismissing Aguero or Sanchez, but they have to prove themselves basically. Explosive is definitely one thing they can both be though. For that reason i'll be keeping £4M+ in the kitty, which should enable me to get either one in pretty easily.

This season is fc*king nuts though. For that reason i'm not ruling out getting in Lewis Grabban at some stage

Is Kane in form though? He has three goals in his last seven games which were against decent opponents for opportunities.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,263 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Is Kane in form though? He has three goals in his last seven games which were against decent opponents for opportunities.

keeping him, for the short term at least. he's looked sharp and immediate fixtures are nice. Kane->Aguero in a few gameweeks time is one option i definitely have in mind though. I need more convincing on Aguero. I know he scored late vs Watford, but i watched the whole game and he looks still a fair bit away from his best. That may well change as he gets more game time under his belt, but i think Kane for now is the better call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I've been with the cheapies all season with the exception of Sanchez up to his injury. I had Vardy, Ighualo, Marez not quite from the start but from the moment they showed any sign of consistency. I had your man from West Ham until he got injured. I got Alderweireld almost since day 1. Oezil since he took off.
    Only a couple of weeks ago I decided to bring Aguero in and that adventure has been costly. Not so much in the finance department because all those cheap players performing means this year I have loads of cash in the bank. But it cost me in the table. I dropped 3 or 4 spots from top or near top in my private leagues and I was going really well. I made the wrong captian/vc picks with him and I fell back 50 points or so within 3 weeks. I was trying to be cute but I brought him way too early.

So I think you're right. This season is a funny one. Money is no object this year. You take a wildcard and you can transfer the actual dream team in and you'll have change left. Everyone can have the best team. So as always its about spotting player trends early and that applies in particular to the big guns.

But as you can see from my example its all about timing. I got burned w Aguero.

manual_man wrote: »
    keeping him, for the short term at least. he's looked sharp and immediate fixtures are nice. Kane->Aguero in a few gameweeks time is one option i definitely have in mind though. I need more convincing on Aguero. I know he scored late vs Watford, but i watched the whole game and he looks still a fair bit away from his best. That may well change as he gets more game time under his belt, but i think Kane for now is the better call.

I'm growing fairly tired of Kane to be honest. I'll keep him for his next two but I see his returns recently as poor given the opposition.

Aguero is a class act and you can't keep than under lock and key forever. Every season there are discussions about whether he is worth it at some stage, mainly because of his injuries.

I still see him as a better player than Suarez, although Suarez is less injury prone.

Advertisement