Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gluten Free products that cause coeliacs problems

Options
  • 15-12-2015 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭

I am a coeliac and I would say I am quite sensitive to it.

I was making home made granola with Gluten Free Oats but after some months of consuming this I felt like I may be getting small amounts of gluten from somewhere. I narrowed it down and thought it is most likely coming from the granola but was still uncertain because everything was gluten free.

Later I was given the tasty gluten free Nairn Oat biscuits and noticed I was having the tell tale gluten reaction signs. The ingredients said something I have never seen before.... Not suitable if you are allergic to the protein avenin.

A quick google and I found this mentioned in a few places:

OATS CONTAIN: Avenin, in Oats contains similar amino acid sequences as wheat gluten and can evoke the immune response of celiac disease for some people. Oats storage protein toxicity is not the same in all varieties of oats. Today, there is no way to predict ahead of time, which people with celiac disease will or will not be able to successfully consume oats without an immune reaction.

I had some gluten free clonakilty black pudding over the past few days, something I am not used to eating that much of, yet again I am in not such great shape. Once I got the reactions I thought what have I been eating that I am not used to eating in the past few days and the clonakilty black pudding was the only thing I could come up with. even thought it says gluten free, yet again it has gluten free oats in it. I usually eat Hodgins gluten free black pudding, they have no grain ingredients apart from rice and I have no reactions.

I read somewhere on the different regulatory authorities, one groups said gluten free oats are ok, another group said they wouldnt say that pure oats or gluten free oats are suitable for all coeliacs as some have shown reaction to it. I will post the site where I saw the authorities write about their thoughts in ingredients etc when I can find it again. One of the authorities I think is mentioned on Juvelas gluten free oats.

I also read that 5% of coeliacs react to avenin.

I hope this helps people

Advertisement