Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your plans for Christmas?

Options
124»

Comments

c_man wrote: »
    Those of you who go to mass/church, when do ye go? We usually go on Christmas Eve, it's nice and peaceful. Usually walk to and fro if it's not raining, well entitled to some drinks and grub afterwards!

We almost always go on Christmas Eve something nicer about the atmosphere always I find. Also handy as we pop into the local for a few pints on the way home.

We open our presents on Christmas Eve too (even Santa used to come Christmas Eve when we were young) so it's nearly bigger than Christmas Day in our house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭c_man

We open our presents on Christmas Eve too (even Santa used to come Christmas Eve when we were young)

Ah yes, I remember that being the case for my cousins in the countryside. Explained to me at the time that Santa reached there a bit earlier since we were further south :)

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭the_sonandmoon

We open our presents on Christmas Eve too (even Santa used to come Christmas Eve when we were young) so it's nearly bigger than Christmas Day in our house.

Santa came to our neighbours across the road while they were at midnight mass on Christmas eve. But he didn't come near our house till 4am on Christmas morning (that was the earliest we were allowed get up and wake the house). My dad explained that that was because the Big Man started his journey on our street (obviously the centre of the universe), and made his way all around the world, visiting every single child, finishing up in our house, before returning to the North Pole. It made total sense because of time zones(!!).

My dad had an answer for any Santa confusion, he still believes to this day, keeping the same magic alive for all his adoring grandchildren (bless)!

c_man wrote: »
    Ah yes, I remember that being the case for my cousins in the countryside. Explained to me at the time that Santa reached there a bit earlier since we were further south :)

My mother often works Christmas day and would be gone early in the morning which is the reason we did Santa and still do presents Christmas eve so she would be there for it.

My parents used to just distract us and set rules like you are only allowed to check the bedrooms every 5 mins or whatever that would give them a chance to get the stuff out.

It used to be late though after 10pm so we were the opposite to most kids who went to bed early Christmas eve. It was easy to sell a story then too as other kids would be in bed so could easily have got their presents from santa around the same time he came to us. Because of this christmas morning was never a big deal in our house and we would usually sleep in rather than being up early.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭redbel05

Been making the Christmas dinner for the family and friends since I was 12, just over a decade and a half now. But the main difference this year is that the number of people has gone up again and I will be spending the evening calling around to some of the elderly neighbors in the area making sure they have a dinner and a bit of Christmas cheer.

Boxing day is my time for the couch. I always enjoy the relaxation more after the intensity of Christmas day. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement