Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Power Pole Design Standards

Options
  • 10-12-2015 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am currently doing a thesis on power poles and I am required to do a power pole design. I have been looking all over the internet to find power pole design standards for Ireland/UK/Europe with little luck. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

You can do a whole thesis on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭karma_coma

Try contact these guys: http://omos.ie/ Think they're in Naas, owner's very friendly, albeit usually quite busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SeanMcGill

That's just a part of my thesis.

Thanks, I'll give them a call and see if they can help me!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,241 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The vast majority of power poles in Ireland are timber, while pylons are steel. I'm sure that ESB Networks would be able to help you on standards. There are certainly different designs, presumably both on voltage / cable weights and an evolution over time. Where there is a change of direction of the cables, they tend to be of a sturdier design.

However, do note that they tend to only be used in rural areas, with them being gradually eliminated in existing urban areas and most new urban areas having underground power supplies.

I have seen steel poles on the continent and possibly in Britain.

Separately, there is the matter of public lighting and telecom poles. Outside Dublin City, many PL poles were also power poles. Much of the PL business was originally owned by the ESB, but I think it was sold to Airtricity. Again many of the poles are timber, except in Dublin City, where there is a variety of wrought iron and steel designs in use. Talk to the PL department in Dublin City council for those.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

In France, they use concrete poles for up to about 50kV

In Italy, the pylons have much stub bier arms and aren't as far apart from the centre structure
    Have a look at their own language Wikipedia pages for references

The only main pylon line I can think of in Dublin is along bóthar Katerine Tynan through Ballymount and past Walkinstown

Eirgrid probably have some spacing rules they use
    Or ESB networks

The only main pylon line I can think of in Dublin is along bóthar Katerine Tynan through Ballymount and past Walkinstown

http://product.itoworld.com/map/4?lon=-6.30397&lat=53.34550&zoom=11&fullscreen=true

Zoom in and out for different layers.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

In Germany it's not uncommon to see stub poles mounted up on roof ridge lines carrying the supply up over the house to the next one.

In former GDR areas reinforced concrete poles are still common.

In Hungary the most common design seems to be a wooden pole held up by two reinforced concrete "splints" either side of it. The concrete splints are set into the ground.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Lot of concrete used for strain poles in the US.

More countries in EU now using fibreglass poles: http://www.rspoles.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Wooden poles + concrete bases.

372974.jpg

372975.jpg

372976.jpg

372978.jpg

372977.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Concrete poles.

372979.jpg

372980.jpg

372981.jpeg

joujoujou wrote: »
    372980.jpg
    I suspect this design would suffer badly in damp Irish conditions. Much more substantial concrete lighting poles have suffered badly from damp ingress and consequent rust / frost action.

During a storm about two years ago I saw the bracket (arm) of a pole blowing about in the wind.

Advertisement