Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideal weight bench dimensions for DIY build?

Options
  • 09-12-2015 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭

Living in a shoe box, space is tight but I'd like to have something to do some basic weight bench assisted exercises on and was looking for any advice on what size I should make it. The thing is, I want it to double as a storage chest and a general stool too so I'd plan on making it deep enough inside for storage of a pair of dumbells, kettlebell and misc things and then a hinged lid which I could pad up so it's comfy to sit and lie back on, with the possibility of an incline too. It's probably not going to really look like a weight bench but I'd like it to be functional as one. I'm thinking something around 1,100mm would do?

Going by this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000N3T0RS?keywords=adjustable%20weights%20bench&qid=1449680482&ref_=sr_1_2&sr=8-2

The seat cushion is 35cm L X 27cm W. The back cushion is 71cm L X 27cm W. There is a 5cm gap between the two.

Would something along these dimensions be recommended and what about height etc? Do such distances from ground etc matter much or should I be ok with something as long as it's good to lie back on and have my shoulders dip a little down at the sides?

Any feedback would be great!

Comments

Why not just buy one of these things?

http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/ottomans/luxury-double-folding-ottoman-black/invt/050420

I have the smaller one and if the longer one is just twice the length of a normal one, then I reckon you'd get away with using it as a bench (or just buy 3 of the small ones, as they can then be 1/3rd longer if you need it by putting the 3 in a row, and they all store flat so if you dont want them to get in the way or dont need them you can flatten them and put them away?).

I use the smaller ones as storage boxes/seats, though, never really used them as a weight bench, but have lied down on them a handful of times (and had people lie on them for photos and such) and I reckon they'd be okay as a makeshift weightbench.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,790 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Thanks a lot for the suggestion, I just don't think I could trust something that folds up with 140kg of weight on it (me and 2 dumbells say). This one maybe: http://www.homestoreandmore.ie/ottomans/faux-leather-storage-bench-ottoman-large-brown/invt/049303

but then there'd be no option for an incline and I reckon the arse would fall out of it eventually, plus I have a kinda hatred for faux leather :pac:

I'd be intending to make a pretty solid one if I was going to make it myself that would hopefully at the same time make a very functional and nice looking piece of furniture and try incorporate an incline with it too, just not sure what kind of dimensions I should be going with to make it a suitable alternative for a weight bench, big and strong enough to store the equipment and the right height to act as a stool to replace a piano stool too :pac:

Well as I say, I have the smaller ones that I linked to. I'm about 18.5 stone and I'd be regularly standing on them and such and they've never even winced with my weight jumping up on them.

I reckon they'd be good.

To be honest, the idea of an incline is the only thing that they won't really do for you, but I'm not really sure how you'll manage to work an incline lid onto a storage box without bringing some safety concerns in.

(I realise you'd just hinge the top on the short side so it opens like an incline bench, but I'm not sure how you'd satisfactorily jam it in a preset location, without it being a tad flimsy). Unless of course you went out and bought an actual bench, and just used the hinging/locking mechanism off that on the DIY job).

That's just me wondering out loud, though.

Yeah that'll be tricky to get right! I was thinking to get an actual bench and just rip it apart and use that for the cushioned/inclined section and just build the rest around that. It would be solid enough with some decent joinery but it might turn into a bigger project than anticipated :o This is what happens when you live in shoe box :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

cormie wrote: »
    Yeah that'll be tricky to get right! I was thinking to get an actual bench and just rip it apart and use that for the cushioned/inclined section and just build the rest around that. It would be solid enough with some decent joinery but it might turn into a bigger project than anticipated :o This is what happens when you live in shoe box :D

I was thinking that myself. Buy a bench that can incline and build the box around it. It's just going to be more secure and actually usable.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's the idea, I'm sure it will be just fine for most exercises. I guess it would be best to try keep the width of the bench to the width of the padded seat and incline cushion as I guess the weight bench manufacturer has gone with a versatile width for their own bench that will allow more exercises to be completed with the right dimensions to allow shoulder movement etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

cormie wrote: »
    Yeah that's the idea, I'm sure it will be just fine for most exercises. I guess it would be best to try keep the width of the bench to the width of the padded seat and incline cushion as I guess the weight bench manufacturer has gone with a versatile width for their own bench that will allow more exercises to be completed with the right dimensions to allow shoulder movement etc.

The width of the legs/base might make it wider than the bench itself. Not necessarily but a lot of benches have back legs wider than the bench for stability

• Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Have you thought about getting a folding bench, like this kind of thing and you could store it under a bed or sofa etc. when not in use?? I am sure you have, but thought I would throw it out there. Then you could get another solution for storing the bits and pieces.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bench-Folding-Adjustable-Exercise-Training/dp/B00KMU6QME

Thanks again for the suggestions, under bed one wouldn't really suit where I am I'm afraid. I reckon it would be ok stability wise even at the width of the cushion, the contents stored in it would weigh it down and then I'll build it solid enough to take the weight of myself and whatever I'm lifting which should hopefully keep it glued to the floor in use too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭burrenguy

• Advertisement

Hehe, I'll try get mine a little nicer looking than that :o

Advertisement